Terrain Destruction

ORLY1889

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my game, I want the terrain to be dynamic or interactive, but I have no idea about how to achieve it.

For example, when the character walks to a certain position or as time goes by, the surrounding changes: hills collapse, water floods the ground, or the whole continent begins to sink.

Is this possible? I once had an idea that creating numerous versions of a same map, like map A is before terrain destruction and map B is after terrain destruction; when the player walks to a certain point in map A, he will be transferred to the same coordinate in map B, which creates the idea that the environment changes. However, loading new map always takes some time, and the screen seems to turn black during transferring, making it looks fake.

Is dynamic terrain possible in RPG maker? Thanks in advance!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would do what you're suggesting for maps that have a lot of changes at the same time. I think the Transfer event lets you choose No Fade - in that case it might just show the old map for the whole loading time.

Or this might help:

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What you could use are probably Moghunter Plugins !!! They do all sorts of Crazy things.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I can think of a way, but it involves hacking the way maps are generated, and it requires a full refresh after the change is performed.... so, it would still lag.... and probably freeze the view.....
but, given that the data can be accessed, yes, most definitely possible.
I don't know about saving the result, though, but since that's also accessible, .....yes? (question mark?)

any errors or fine tuning to that system, could be fixed with eventing on top of the result.

CalebW

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Save yourself the time of creating thousands of maps to recreate, it will increase your filesize for unneeded reasons. The best thing I'd say you could do is set up a time system and then a variable that will change the tiles to the system game time.

So for instance, 60 frames are equal to 1 second our time and each 1 second it refreshes lagging the game down. So to do a proper time system without crashing or overhauling your game resources I suggest it's best to set your game clock to every 3600 frames you add a "1-second count" ingame or you could count it directly by minutes that way it mimics real lifetime, just not draining the resources. Then you could have let's say all mountains "decay" every 5 hours/days in the time system. Once that variable has been achieved, you can force an event on all tiles designated to that classification of mountains to "change tile" which is a command in the editor to be a different tile piece. Though you'll likely have to have the mapping changed with preset map build layouts. This will present a more realistic environmental effect on your world if setup in accordance with time. Either way its a task for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My sister is a saint. Specifically Saint Peter. Because shes my best friend until other ppl are around then shes all "nope, dont know him, dont like him."
Making it a rule that I don't do any world building for my new game before the actual gameplay is concrete and working. I have 16 years of lore to work with anyway.
Cheesy power metal makes everything better. No matter what you do, you'll feel heroic doing it.
Starting to really like the first of my madness areas. I think the eyes looking at them really helps to sell the place. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpgteck