Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz
Strange. Are we using the same version of RPG-maker? I'm using the STEAM version and I always let it auto-update so it should be 1.5.2 (recently "downgraded" from 1.6.0).

Furthermore, here is some print screens I've taken showing the problems as well as the settings I've made in the plugin manager and the database. Not sure what more than this I can do on my end but if there is something you need to know feel free to ask. I'm happy to cooperate. :kaopride:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Disable the Pixel Move and Region Restrictions plugins and see if it makes a difference. If it works, enable one, then play, then disable it and enable the other, and play. It wouldn't surprise me if the pixel movement plugin is conflicting.

If the problem still happens with both of those disabled, can you also give me a screenshot of your tileset, with the terrain tags visible?

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz All of the plugins are set to ”off” except yours and Yami’s ”skip Title screen” (Yami’s is below yours). It should be visible from the image file I linked in my previous post. Did you scroll all the way down?

The image I uploaded consists of five print screens (stacked vertically so you might need to scroll down and zoom in if you’re reading on a mobile device), they show everything from the in game testmap to what plugins I’m using as well as the settings I made in your plug-in and the fact that I’ve turned everything else off. You can also see what tileset I’m using and how I’ve applied the terrain tags if you scroll down.

It should all be there. :)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
oh - you need to change the name of the plugin. It has to be called TerrainTags.js - if it's not, it won't find any of the parameters.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz Wow, that seems to have been the problem, the name of the plugin file! I didn't know. Maybe consider renaming the download file or mention in the first post that it needs to be renamed to work properly?

In any case, thank you. If I come across any other bugs or abnormalities I'll report them here. Also, may I ask if any of the two features under consideration still is under consideration or is this plugin assumed to be in it's final version?

And most importantly, what is the Terms of Use? I'm planning to use it in a commercial game (or that is the aim of the project for now anyhow). And I'd like to know if that's ok, as well as how you'd like to be credited? :kaohi:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At this stage I have no plans to complete the other things under consideration - if I have a need for them in my game, or after my game is out, I might revisit that.

All my plugins can be used in commercial games. Credit Shaz.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, I wanted to once again report about this plugin.

It's been some times since I last used it and MV has been updated. Now it doesn't seem to work (I downloaded the latest version, although I don't know how recent it is). This plugin is very unique so I don't know of any replacement plugins either. The most important feature for me is the flexibility you have with what the shadow pen overlaps, because the MV standard where it doesn't overlap B, C, D or E tiles is ugly. I really, really want this feature. And it's in this plugin. But the plugin doesn't work for me anymore.

That's about it. Just letting you know @Shaz :kaohi:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You didn't give it the wrong name again, did you? I'm using it in my project and it works fine. It has to be called TerrainTags.js

Although I'm not using the autoshadow option, and the way RM draws its tiles has changed since the plugin was written. Can you see if the other options work for you, and it's just the layering of the shadows that's not working?

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz
Yepp, it's named correctly and I've tried the other features as well, it doesn't crash or anything. Just nothing happens.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Even the other features don't work? The autoshadows I could understand as the way the engine draws tiles has changed. But the others should work.

I'll take a look on the weekend. In the meantime, could you please post a screenshot of your plugin manager, the parameters for this plugin, and a screenshot of one of your tilesets showing the terrain tags set up for use.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, thanks.

I'm using the STEAM version of MV (latest update). You can see what other plugins I have but they shouldn't be conflicting (I tried turning the off). Anyway, here's a few screenshots displaying the auto-shadow feature and the tile offset features.

FywqPIP.jpg

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Parallax Panda

I have added the required changes for the "new" ShaderTilemap class, and I think it will resolve all your issues. Please redownload from the first post and replace your current version with the new version.

I've left a download link for the old version, in case anyone is still using an MV version prior to the addition of the ShadowTilemap class. The latest and greatest is the first link.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz
Thank you very much. I've not tried the passabillity or counter features yet but the offset and auto shadow options works! :kaoluv:

One small thing though, and I don't know if this is intended, but even if marked with a terrain tag the auto-shadow feature does not overlap tiles which is also marked with a star (shown above the player). If possible, I think it would be nice to have that option.

For example; You have a small tree next to a very tall wall. The tree is tall enough that you can walk behind it but the wall should also overshadow the tree.

Msoulwing

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would it be possible to use a terrain tag to force tiles to be drawn above players, imitating star tiles but using the tile's passability settings?

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey @Shaz ...it's me again (I hope I'm not starting to get annoying). :kaohi:

Anyway, it seems that you can only add one terrain tag to the "Under Shadow" parameter, which is a bummer. Is it possible to make it so we can add more by separating them with a semicolon?

The specific reason for why this is important is that I'm already using terrain tag "1" for pushing stuff like bookshelves and beds 24 pixels up against the wall, and of course I want those objects to be affected by the auto shadow. But, then I can't add another terrain tag which I'd like to do so I can have the auto shadows appear above other stuff like chairs and whatever that I do not want to push 24 pixels but still want to be drawn below the shadow layer.

Maybe this is supposed to work and it's just not working for me? I'm guessing not though since separating terrain tags with semicolon is not mentioned in the help file for that specific parameter.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess it would be possible to allow more than one terrain tag. However, are you saying you want to use terrain 1 to offset by X pixels, and another terrain on the same tile to make it appear under the shadow? In that case, wouldn't you need to assign two terrain tags to your tile in the tileset? As that is an editor thing, and plugins can't change the editor, how would you do that?

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz
To put it simply; Terrain tag 1 offsets tiles by X pixels for me, and I've also put the same terrain tag (1) in the parameter for the "Under Shadow Number" parameter. Therefore the tiles I push X tiles (bookshelves, beds, etc) appears correctly under the shadow layer AND are pushed to the wall. So far so good.

But, there are other tiles that I don't want to push X tiles but still want to appear under the auto shadow. I can't give them the same terrain tag (1) because then they would also be pushed up against the wall like the other tiles. Therefore I'd like to be able to add a second terrain tag in the plugin parameter for "Under Shadow Number", the same way you can for the "Offset Numbers" parameter (by separating them by a semicolon).

AGiant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english, german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Shaz
To put it simply; Terrain tag 1 offsets tiles by X pixels for me, and I've also put the same terrain tag (1) in the parameter for the "Under Shadow Number" parameter. Therefore the tiles I push X tiles (bookshelves, beds, etc) appears correctly under the shadow layer AND are pushed to the wall. So far so good.

But, there are other tiles that I don't want to push X tiles but still want to appear under the auto shadow. I can't give them the same terrain tag (1) because then they would also be pushed up against the wall like the other tiles. Therefore I'd like to be able to add a second terrain tag in the plugin parameter for "Under Shadow Number", the same way you can for the "Offset Numbers" parameter (by separating them by a semicolon).
This is a nice one. I understood it the other way, too, but this would be a nice upgrade.
By the way for other people thinking about giving a tile more than one terrain tag. That's not possible without changing how RPG maker MV works because all the flags with exception of the terrain tag work by having one bit dedicated for them which states that they are a counter, ladder, star passability or something or not. The general passability is actually separated into being passable to the 4 directions which means passability actually has 4 dedicated bits. In a similar way the terrain tag has only dedicated 3 bits which leads them to be able to take on only one out of eight number:
bit = decimal
000 = 0
001 = 1
010 = 2
011 = 3
100 = 4
101 = 5
110 = 6
111 = 7

Something what can be done is, if you keep the bits in mind and if you have a plug in which decides about 3 other things similar to the other flags like for example passability into the earth and/or passability up the air and/or smoke effects (reverse bush), 7 for example would mean you can dive into the earth, can go up into the air and the upper part of the tile and player would be similar to a bush or 4 would mean you can't dive into the earth neither could you fly up into the air but the translucent effect would be there.

To get to my actual matter of concern. I'll look into it myself, too, but if there already is someone who knows it, does this awesome plugin also work with MZ or is there one for MZ?
Else I might try to make one myself.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
does this awesome plugin also work with MZ
My suggestion is to just try it and see. There are no plugin commands, so it might work (I haven't looked to see if there's much of a difference in tilemaps between MV and MZ)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delwin