Terrax Lighting system

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Terrax, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So while looking into any possible improvements, updates, and the general future of this plugin, I came across this post, as well as a few others like it:

Is this still a common problem people have with this plugin? I ask because I've been using it in my project and it runs perfectly at 60fps in both windowed and F4-fullscreen, but I work on a pretty solid machine so it's hard to tell. If this is an issue for older systems, I should probably look at a replacement, but before I deal with a change of that magnitude, I wanted to be absolutely certain.

So if you see this and use this plugin, does it lag for you in fullscreen as others are claiming, or is it fine?

2. LazESigma

LazESigma Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hopefully an easy one, but I'm noticing something erratic.
    I have Reset Switches set to "No" in the plugin and Kill Switch set to "No".
    I have one event in a cave set to this: Light 1500 #FFFFFF
    If I have an transfer event take me to another map (like a cut scene) then return me back to the cave in the same spot, it's pitch black.
    What happened? (Note if I exit the cave, and re-enter all my lights are back and and fuctional)

Update: Sorry, this had nothing to do with the plugin. Had to Move my FadeIn event to the correct spot!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  3. gothicmiriel

gothicmiriel Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    hello, everyone
    i have a problem with terrax lighting plugin. i have a town at night in my game, and plugin works amazingly there. but the problem is with the inside of the houses of that town. if i put player starting position on the map of a house inside, when i start the game, map looks as it should with the plugin. but if i put that i have to go through the town map to go into the house, lights and everything in the house becomes barely visible, it is all very 'pale', almost like the default map. it does not happen if i go from a map that does not use the plugin to the house map, and whereever i move, nothing of the sort happens so the town map. i am sorry if this message is too long, i just wanted to explain as good as possible, so i can hopefully find a solution.
    thanks in advance, sorry if weird

4. hiro24

hiro24 Villager Member

I might be missing something, but how do you turn off flashlights on events? I saw in the instructions that you could put flashlights on them, but it's odd. It's in the notes. You can't modify that.

5. Dreossk

Dreossk Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is this plugin broken? For hours I've been trying to turn off lights with no success. If I add a number at the end of the light as per the help file (ie: Light 150 #FFFFFF 1) the light doesn't even work. I'm watching video tutorials and I don't get the same result.

Edit:
    Got it, the kill switch in the option must not be set to a letter...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  6. cedr777

cedr777 Lead developer of "Charao Life" Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  7. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Since I've dug into this plugin rather extensively, let's see if I can pull off being hopefully-not-dead-Terrax's personal helpdesk lady today!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you saying the rooms only "darken" if you start the character in them, not if they transition to them?

You'll have to use the kill switch feature. Set it to something like "D" then switch the event's "D" switch on to turn it off. Probably.

Kill switch is a letter, but I'm pretty sure it's case sensitive. Try using "D" instead of "d" and see if that works.

As for the light ID thing, that seems pretty much broken.

Best thing to do is try it out and see. Be aware that Terrax seems to have fallen off the face of the earth, so this plugin isn't updated anymore even though it generally does what it's supposed to despite a few bugs.

cedr777 likes this.
  8. gothicmiriel

First Language:
    English
    yes and no. like, rooms do darken when i come from another map, but way less. basically, imagine if you used relatively dark colour for background (but not in a plugin command tint way, i used that trick from driftwood gaming's video where you use weak light, usually of a bit darker colour too, with big range, like 500 or something, to get a subtle background colour) and b50 lights for, well, lights. and when you start the game in that room, it looks great. when you start the game from another map, it is like you used way paler colour for background and like, idk, b10 lights or something. i hope that makes more sense. if it is of any help, i did use the tint for the outside part of the city

so... i am sorry if this is even more confusing now, i am just trying to explain it the best i can :( thank you for being a kind person and wanting to help

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  9. cedr777

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Tried it, so far no incompatibilities with Yanfly Options Core.

10. Krystek_My

Krystek_My Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well Khas too isn't active for a while.

11. cedr777

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    help, I enabled region block but it seems there is a small 1pixel gap between each tile.
    [​IMG]

Edit: another problem, I've enabled region block and placed the regions atop of walls, only problem is the flashlight seems to go through still.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  12. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The tint from other maps is probably interfering. Are you using MV's in-house tint system, or Terrax's tint command? You should be using Terrax's command. Either way, I find it best to set tints for every map (I just stick an autorun + self-delete event in the upper left corner of every map for this) to make sure nothing is carrying over from another map.

1. Make sure you're not using some other plugin that changes tile sizes or other graphics scaling in some way. I can't reproduce this.

2. RegionBlock only prevents light from being rendered on that specific tile. It won't stop light from penetrating the block to reach unblocked tiles, unfortunately.

[​IMG]

Yanfly's Options Core only seems to work with certain plugins, but honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Disabling the lighting effects really kills any mood you're trying to set, and on top of that, can actually be used to cheese any challenges you have based around lighting (such as a small circle to make exploration trickier). There is a way to add options to Yanfly's Options Core, but it's kind of tricky and I haven't bothered to learn it. (I prefer the in-house options menu, personally)

Hmm, I'll have to think about this.

cedr777 likes this.
  13. Kingslayer

Kingslayer Villager Member

First Language:
    bulgarian
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hi all. Im new with the RPG Maker MV and wondering how to run the plugin I've played the demo but didn't understand anything. I've made an a event and write the Light "250 #FFFFFF" but when I start my game first goes the intro and next the map where my character is transfered but the map is normal. There is no shadows or dakness. If it can some pic or something how to do it it could be helpful. I didn't use many plugins only these.
    usingplugins.png

14. cedr777

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When you transfer into the next map, make sure that there is also at least one event with "Light" on it's note field. That will serve as the activation.
    It got me thinking for hours also why there isn't any light/darkness despite the plugin being turned on, making sure there was Light 250 #FFFFFF, etc.

I am also new with using this plugin btw. (started a few days ago)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  15. Kingslayer

First Language:
    bulgarian
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Like this?
    lighterraxno.png
    because it's not working. I've did maybe something wrong again.

16. cedr777

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Then it might be a plugin incompatibility issue, There can be many reasons why it's not doing as it should.

I suggest you turn off your other plugins and only keep Terrax lighting on to see if it works. Then turn them on one by one to see if anything breaks.

17. Kingslayer

First Language:
    bulgarian
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    It's the Bind Pictures To Map plugin. What I can do to prevent that beause when I put it above the TerraxLighting it's shows this.
    addChildfail.png
    How to fix that? Any ideas?

18. cedr777

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've looked into that plugin and it is almost four years old since it was last updated, wouldn't be surprised if it has issues with the current 1.6.1 version of MV, which I assume you are using? Anyway, I suggest you find an alternative to that plugin because it'll cause problems in the future for you if you keep using it knowing it causes conflict with your other plugins.

I for one had issues with Khas' Advanced Lighting plugin conflicting with Yanfly's Options Core. I used if for months but found out it had issues with the options core.

It led me to seek out an alternative plugin such in this thread since I couldn't give up on the options core since I've had other plugins dependent on it. Khas hasn't updated his plugin in a while, and it was also causing several errors on startup for my deployed games. "Cannot read property Blend modes of undefined" some people were having it, some not.

Save yourself the trouble.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Kingslayer likes this.
  19. gothicmiriel

First Language:
    English
    thank you! that seems to be it. i did not realize that tint from one map could transfer to others, especially cause i used terrax command for tint, so i did not expect anything to cause me troubles. thanks a lot, you solved me quite an annoying problem. you are awesome ^_^

Aesica likes this.
  20. orange~

orange~ Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    I don't know if anyone asked about this yet in the 63 pages so far, but is there an easy way to change the colour of the darkness? I'd like to use the terrax lighting in outdoor areas as well where the darkness would be replaced with mist, so the colour would be white instead of black.

Of course since I'd need both darkness and mist in the game, I'd also need a way to switch between the 2, not just change the parameter in the code for good.