Terrax Lighting system

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Terrax, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Ihsman07

Ihsman07 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Does anyone know of a way where the plugin doesn't affect the background in a battle scene? For some reason, the plugin is removing whatever battlebacks I am using and replaces them with the current location the player is on the map. I've tried using Yanfly's Improved Battlebacks plugin to try and bypass it but to no avail.

2. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Are you sure you have a battleback set for the area where the fights are happening? I've never had this problem with the terrax plugin.

3. Ihsman07

Ihsman07 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for responding. I feel like an idiot. I remember choosing my battlebacks.... but I must have not saved it. Whoops. Thanks! :kaoswt2:

Aesica likes this.
  4. Mr-Toyblock

Mr-Toyblock Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, so I think this plugin is really cool, but I'm like, super struggling with this one thing for hours.
    How do I use a tint without having to deal with the lighting effects?
    My game relies heavily on using tints.

And a lot of it consists on tints making things brighter, but all tints do here is darken the screen.
    I'm using the tint set code btw because that's the only way to make tints work.
    And if I try to get rid of the light, it disables the tint, too.

Is there no way to separate the two?
    Also using pictures to show light will not work for what I want to accomplish with my game, so don't suggest that.
    All help is appreciated!

5. Chef

Chef yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Does anyone else suffer from random low fps? I'm pretty sure I'm using the plugin correctly but after a map transfer I randomly get 4-15 fps instead of the normal 60. This also happens randomly after saving the game.

6. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can "cheat" by making an event (can be one that exists for any reason, such as decoration, etc) serve as a null light source. Specifically, with the tag, "light 0 #000000" which doesn't produce any light, but will still activate the tint effects

The only thing I can think of is that you're using too many lights. It's possible tilelights and regionlights are persisting from another map too, so you might want to clear them if so. Once, I had a huge amount of framerate death on my overworld because the water was using the same id as something in a cave that was meant to be glowing. Oops.

7. Chef

Chef yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I only have 1 event with lighting in the note window, and I've set Reset Lights to "Yes" but that doesn't help either. And with Terrax Lighting completely off I always get 60fps.

8. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    But do you have any tile lights or region lights set for anything else? As far as I know, those don't actually reset tile lights or region lights. Try using it in a new test project with nothing else. If you get the same FPS drop, then...maybe it is the plugin. I kind of miss my old pc because it was a lot easier to spot things that caused performance hits than this newer one.

9. Chef

Chef yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No I don't use tile or region lights.
    I've checked all possibilities that I know off, and it looks like Quasi Simple Shadows can't be turned on at the same time as Terrax Lighting without the random fps drop (which isn't completely random btw). If you have 3 maps chained together without #3 connected to #1, and start at map #2. First you walk to map #1, it stays at 60fps. Then you walk back to #2, still at 60fps. But then you walk to map #3 and it goes to 14-15fps (sometimes rpgmv says "I'll give you 30 to F off"). This also is the case if you go to map #3 first and map #1 last.

10. Banjo

Banjo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Great plugin!

Is it possible to setup a "torch" item that the player can equip (as a weapon) that provides light (radius or flashlight)? I can make item-based torches but I can't figure out how to make something that only works when it is equipped...

11. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not with this plugin alone. You could probably pull it off with something like Yanfly's auto passive states and buff states core plugins. Equipping the item would apply a passive state, and in the state's note tags, you'd add the code to turn it on when the state is applied (equipped) and off when it is removed.

12. Krystek_My

Krystek_My Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  13. AsuranFish

AsuranFish Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Is there a way to have lighting effects from this plugin transfer over to battles?

I realize that I can use tint screen to transfer into battles, but that results in spell/skill animations being discolored.

Recoloring battlebacks works okay, but doesn't put tints over characters/enemies.

Is there a way around this, or would the best way be to recolor battlebacks, and then use a more neutral tint to minimize changes to animations?

14. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nope. You pretty much have to do all the things you mentioned already if you want any sort of tinting in combat.

That said, a better (well, more flexible) option to recoloring battlebacks is the use of Yanfly's improved battlebacks plugin to overlay a solid-color, partially-transparent image over an existing battleback. Since the plugin stretches images to fit, the solid color image can be something tiny, like 10x10. The reason I find this approach better is the Improved Battlebacks plugin lets you not only adjust the opacity, but also the hue, so you can use one red image to cover all the other colors, all with varying degrees of opacity, as well as a white image or a black image to cover varying degrees of light (well, misty light) and dark.

Still, this won't tint the enemies and actors (something you said you want) but just like recoloring battlebacks, it doesn't mess up skill animations.

15. Argentdragon

Argentdragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hopefully I can get some help here, otherwise I will try the JS boards! I'm having a similar issue as another person had a little while back with moghunter and Terrax lighting:

However, I don't believe I have the same issue since I am performing the script after the actual game has started, and I'm doing it in a room where I do not want any tinting to occur. I have 1 room without any Terrax lighting in it and the tint screen is disabled and everything is great with that the map appears at normal light. However, the room I'm trying to work with has some Terrax lighting AND moghunter tint screen disable note in the mapnotes - and it still keeps the room dimmed. (I'm fairly certain I'm typing the note in correctly, but I could also be very wrong. I did try "mogtimesystem" and both notes with and without the parentheses as well.)
    upload_2019-5-18_18-19-53.png
    I ran the debug provided with Terrax Lighting and it's showing that despite the tint disable note on, the tint is still active. I ran the debug in my no-Terrax lighting room and there was nothing to debug. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong or if there's a step I'm missing, but any help with this would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Edit: I tried switching off the switch for moghunter, but it told me the debug was that mog was probably not loaded since no switches are active (it is loaded), and that the tint was still present.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  16. Hydlide

Hydlide Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Love the plugin, but I've been having a weird lag issue lately, similar to what @Arend Galenkamp was talking about. I have some indoor maps that have events with the light on/off switches depending on a day/night cycle. I've found that if those events are on the map, the FPS drops like crazy. If I delete the events the map has a normal framerate.

The odd things is that this was all working fine a few days ago, and I haven't added any plugins or anything so I'm not sure what's going on. For now I guess I'll just have to turn off the night/day feature.

17. Chef

Chef yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The problem went away for me after turning off Quasi Simple Shadows; or by turning off Terrax Lighting and leaving QSS on. But that still sucks cause I want to use both.

18. Hydlide

Hydlide Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I figured it out. I have the YEP X Map Quest Window script and there's an option for "event update" that updates the window when switches, variables, etc. are changed. It was influencing the behavior of the lighting script. I turned that option off and it seems to be working fine now!

19. Eliaquim

Eliaquim Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian! Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese - Br
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi!
    I'm trying to use a ID in a lightsource to change the color with another event.
    So i put in the note field of the event(without quotes):

"Light 300 #000099 1"

But the thing is when i put the "1" the color don't show up. When i remove the "1" the color appear.
    Tested without any plugins.
    Rm Mv 1.6.2

20. Chef

Chef yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You need to turn it on first. On the map itself.

Eliaquim likes this.