Sideroxylon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Could you improve the Fire feature? It is barely visible and the flickering seems pretty artificial.

Terrax

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
New version (1.1.1) now available

http://mvplugins.com...Lighting System

Version 1.1.1

Fixes :

Game parameters are no longer used for saving data (Mega thanks to Schlangan for suppling the code)

The Time of Day can still be stored in a game variable, but the default is off (0). If you want to trigger lights when it gets

dark it can be usefull. Just reserve a game variable and set the 'Save DaynightCycle' to the variable you want to use when

you install the plugin.

Could you improve the Fire feature? It is barely visible and the flickering seems pretty artificial.
It has been toned down because to much flickering gave a nasty strobe effect that realy gets on players nerve after a while.

if you want to experiment with more flickering you can adjust the code yourself.

In lines 649 and 650 of the script you will find

var gradrnd = Math.floor((Math.random()*7)+1);            var colorrnd = Math.floor((Math.random()*10)-5);if you adjust the 7 in the first line and make it bigger, the flicker radius will increase

if you adjust the 10 and -5 in the second line it will increase the color shift from red to yellow.

Try to not do that as much as possible. You could maybe add new functions to the Game_Variables class, specifically for your variables.
Thanks for the help!

Winter Witch

❄️
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello Terrax,

first of all, thank you so much for making this. I was really looking forward to a light plugin.

And that's why I have to write to you now, because as soon as I activate the script in my game (The demo works perfectly fine), I get this error whenever I want to start a new game or continue on a save file:

xkMmfJb.png

I have no idea what that means, I didn't even use events with the plugin commands in my game yet. I checked if you had some images that I forgot to copy into my game files, lika Khas' script had, but there weren't any.

Can you help me somehow? I'd love to use your script in my game.

Thank you!

Edit: It works now, but I deleted all my other plugins. I'll try to find out now which one doesn't like your plugin. Sorry for botherin you :|

Last edited by a moderator:

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi! Amazing script! And much more simple than some of the lighting scripts for VX Ace (ya'll know what I'm talking about XD, but that may be because of the way the JavaScipt works)!

Quick question! Is there a way to make a light move with the event? Like a paroling guard with a lantern? The light always stays behind when I try ToT

Sideroxylon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Hi! Amazing script! And much more simple than some of the lighting scripts for VX Ace (ya'll know what I'm talking about XD, but that may be because of the way the JavaScipt works)!

Quick question! Is there a way to make a light move with the event? Like a paroling guard with a lantern? The light always stays behind when I try ToT
How do you set the movement route? Did you use the movement route, that is accessible on the event page?

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How do you set the movement route? Did you use the movement route, that is accessible on the event page?
I just used random. I'll try to use some others and will let you know if the light just doesn't work with it >.<

EDIT: Nope. It still stays behind D:

Skurge

Archtross Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Could I request a modification in the plugin that allows certain light tags to not over light roof tiles and light opposite sides of the map?

Terrax

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Could I request a modification in the plugin that allows certain light tags to not over light roof tiles and light opposite sides of the map?
Not lighting over rooftiles is not possible.

Can you send me a example map that lights opposite sides of the map, because i cannot reproduce the effect to fix it.

I just used random. I'll try to use some others and will let you know if the light just doesn't work with it >.<

EDIT: Nope. It still stays behind D:
If you use the latest version it should already work.. Moving lightsources were introduced in version 1.0.9. No special requirements to use them, just stick a 'light 150 #FFFFFF' on a event with random walking.

RogdagoR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
If you use the latest version it should already work.. Moving lightsources were introduced in version 1.0.9. No special requirements to use them, just stick a 'light 150 #FFFFFF' on a event with random walking.
Isn't working with me also

Terrax

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Isn't working with me also
In the last room of the demo.. the one thats completly dark with the chest with the flashlight in it.. that NPC is walking around and the lightsource should be moving with him, can you check if that works for you?

Vegnarus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Not lighting over rooftiles is not possible.

Can you send me a example map that lights opposite sides of the map, because i cannot reproduce the effect to fix it.

Using Terrain Tags from the Tileset settings in the database to indicate what is a wall or a roof could work. And then you could adjust the light accordingly. Writing the code or finding an appropriate method might be tough though. 

If I remember correctly, Khas who did this in VXA had a pretty crazy code which also slanted the light as you walked by corners and it did not show the light on roof tiles or allow it to go through walls. His Script-Fu was pretty strong however. For now, your script works well enough and all the extra upgrades you've been giving it are appreciated by many!

And I see that the moving light sources are working nicely! :)   Did you do something similar to what I brought up in order to work around the missing X and Y values? 

---------

To the guys having issues, first make sure that the plugin is updated from the plugin list. Simply double click it and press okay to update its description to show the new version.

If it's updated, see if the map is dark enough for you to see the light moving. If it is, write Light 150 #FFFFFF in the note box of the event, check the walking box, set the movement to random and playtest.

Make sure that it's not "Light 150 #FFFFFF 1" or similar, or you will need to activate it with a plugin command ("Light on 1" in this case) in order to see it. 

Terrax

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Using Terrain Tags from the Tileset settings in the database to indicate what is a wall or a roof could work. And then you could adjust the light accordingly. Writing the code or finding an appropriate method might be tough though. 

If I remember correctly, Khas who did this in VXA had a pretty crazy code which also slanted the light as you walked by corners and it did not show the light on roof tiles or allow it to go through walls. His Script-Fu was pretty strong however. For now, your script works well enough and all the extra upgrades you've been giving it are appreciated by many!

And I see that the moving light sources are working nicely! :)   Did you do something similar to what I brought up in order to work around the missing X and Y values? 

---------
This might sound a little weird, but what is a rooftile?

I got this game a month ago and didn't work with RPG maker before that. I started on this script right away and didn't get a chance to work on much else yet. Send me a small map with rooftiles in it and i might be able to figure something out.

About the missing X and Y.. yes, i just had to overwrite a small core script that handles walking event and save the coordinates there so i could use them in my script later.

Vegnarus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
This might sound a little weird, but what is a rooftile?

I got this game a month ago and didn't work with RPG maker before that. I started on this script right away and didn't get a chance to work on much else yet. Send me a small map with rooftiles in it and i might be able to figure something out.

About the missing X and Y.. yes, i just had to overwrite a small core script that handles walking event and save the coordinates there so i could use them in my script later.
SZMKsv4.png

The Blue stroke shows the setting you can use to mark tiles with certain tags which can be used by events or scripts.

The Red stroke shows that I've set tag 1 to indicate roof tiles and 2 to indicate walls.

I only changed those tiles for the sake of an example. You can tag tiles with a number from 0-7.
EDIT: Basically Terrax, you can play around with Terrain Tags to see if you can work something out and if you decide to release that feature, you can then allow the user to set the tag IDs for roof and wall tiles in the plugin's parameters. 

Skurge

Archtross Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
^ Precisely what I meant, but of course I understand it can be difficult.

As for evidence of this slight problem here are two in game test screenshots.

Here is north side of the map, here i have a event in the center giving a yellow light effect. the map height is 30. Also to note large lights seem to disappear at least 1 tile before turning off- i think size of the light has something to do with it?

AAnroOk.jpg

this screenshot is of south of the map, there is no event here to give the yellow light effect, it's as if the top half of the north map light has looped on the south side.

oGHHE8v.jpg

Terrax

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
EDIT: Basically Terrax, you can play around with Terrain Tags to see if you can work something out and if you decide to release that feature, you can then allow the user to set the tag IDs for roof and wall tiles in the plugin's parameters. 
Ok, just so i get things clear before i start working on it.

You want to mark certain tiles with a tag.. lets say tag 5 (ill make it something you can set yourself). If a tile has tag 5 it will not

get illuminated by the lights and remain dark. I can probably only do that on a tile/tile basis, don't expect any raytracing effects

from the lightsource. It should work fine on roofs but not so much on walls in dungeons because the light will appear on the other side of the wall.

It's as if the top half of the north map light has looped on the south side.
I found the bug and effect will be gone next update (had something to do with a fix for scrolling maps)

Vegnarus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, just so i get things clear before i start working on it.

You want to mark certain tiles with a tag.. lets say tag 5 (ill make it something you can set yourself). If a tile has tag 5 it will not

get illuminated by the lights and remain dark. I can probably only do that on a tile/tile basis, don't expect any raytracing effects

from the lightsource. It should work fine on roofs but not so much on walls in dungeons because the light will appear on the other side of the wall.
That'll do I think. At least it'll be a nice option for keeping certain areas dark. Try incorporating a Z coordinate if you can't get it right.

You can even do this by using region IDs if raytracing is too much. Although, since the tag is global, it will be applied to those specific tiles without the need for region placement so it may be better in that regard.

Although with region ID, you could potentially block the light from certain areas and then override the light block with a plugin command or something similar.

So I guess that you should only try the roof tag or region ID for now as the wall one would need raytracing to get it to work decently. 

Lindar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Another question: Is it possible to add the ability to bind a cycle speed to a game variable, in parameters of this plugin?

Terrax

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Another question: Is it possible to add the ability to bind a cycle speed to a game variable, in parameters of this plugin?
I could, but i can't see the reason why you would want to read the speed, and you can already set it with a plugin command

RogdagoR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
In the last room of the demo.. the one thats completly dark with the chest with the flashlight in it.. that NPC is walking around and the lightsource should be moving with him, can you check if that works for you?
I fixed it(with the help of Skotty), just have to put it over the yanfly save event location plugin! There is a way to have better saturation between dark zone and light circle?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm just so close to replacing LUK with a different stat, maybe DEX but we'll see.
Slapped together a title screen and working on some dungeon clutter + portraits for Dubhghaill and Einar. Usual CW for minor body horror wrt Einar
QVLJIgD.png

OaPcYUy.png

r55FiUJ.png

EIgO94y.png
cT1V4nb.png
>studying for months for an exam
>does exam
>waits 3 months for the results to come out
>me trying to login, incorrect password
>I get recovery password
>me trying to login, incorrect password

What the heck. As a son of a Karen, I'm going to file a few complaints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jzu1999