Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good day!
There are quite a few long cutscenes in my game, some of them 10+ pages long. And I wondered, maybe there is a way to quickly test them? I restart the game dozens of times to tweak all the animations and the position of the characters, and it gets a little tiring.
Perhaps there is some kind of "trick" or plugin to make it easier? I would be glad to any advice.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a pain in the neck, isn't it? I'm not aware of any plugin to make it easier. What you could do is have a "skip cutscene" switch for your use only, and in each cutscene event, you first do a conditional branch to see if that switch is on or not. If it's not, do the regular cutscene. If it's on, just do all the stuff that the cutscene would have done (change switches, variables, party members, items, equips, etc, and transfer if needed) without all of the dialogue or movements.

Of course if you've spread your cutscene processing out over multiple events this might be a bit tricky, and in that case I'd suggest you go find the blog article called "Events Are Not NPCs - The Biggest Mistake in Cutscenes" (or something along those lines) to learn how to do cutscenes involving multiple events, but where there is just one event controlling all the action.

KenKrath

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Good day!
There are quite a few long cutscenes in my game, some of them 10+ pages long. And I wondered, maybe there is a way to quickly test them? I restart the game dozens of times to tweak all the animations and the position of the characters, and it gets a little tiring.
Perhaps there is some kind of "trick" or plugin to make it easier? I would be glad to any advice.
My entire project is a really long cutscene - I mean literally it is, so hopefully I can offer some advice. Yes you do have to constantly "replay" the cutscene to get it perfect. If there is a particular part of your cutscene that you're having trouble getting right (such as animation testing or lining up pics) I suggest creating a separate "event" for that one piece to test and then importing it into your "final edition" event once you have the portion of that cutscene figured out (i.e. animation timing).

I've also used a screen recorder to record my event and then I go back and watch the event on my media player and make tweaks in RPG Maker as I'm watching the video. I usually have to go through this (recording and watching) part about 4 or 5 times, but I think it's because I have voice acting.

I'm not too familiar with gameplay aspects, but if you're having issues with "setting up" the scene because characters are not in the right spot you can create a duplicate "cutscene" map as well and transition the event on the duplicate map. I've done this a couple of times for my project for organization purposes, but you may find that it's not needed.

Hope that helps!!!

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man this is something I have spent....LITERALLY at least 5,000 hours doing over the course of my life and over 300 hours doing over the course of the last three months. I am *finally* starting to get smart about some of the ways to make this process less of a pain but WOW this is some hard-earned wisdom:
  • You can and should add in "open save screen" commands throughout the cutscene to break up the testing process.
  • A little trick that I use is to always put the save event command at the END of an event page, and then turn on the switch or variable that is the trigger for the next page of the event immediately after the save. The reason for this is that it is not possible to see the edits you've made to an event page once you are in the midst of that event page, because the engine is midway through executing that page and the way it is designed to flow it doesn't update changes mid-page. I wasted soooooo much time in the past putting the saves in the wrong place, at the top of the event page. Stupid, I know.
  • You can go back and edit out these saves once you have the scene finished to your satisfaction.
  • RPG Maker MV (and possibly VXA, I can't remember, and PRESUMABLY MZ, but I don't know) let you edit your game WHILE test playing, i.e. while the test play window is open. Obviously it can't update the game file in real time, but it does let you fix typos and other little things that are driving you crazy when you notice them, as opposed to trying to remember them (or I guess taking notes on them if you're like actually organized lol imagine being organized) until you're done testplaying.
  • Try to err on the side of too little cutscene, not too much. Obviously it's subjective and the needs of every game differ but try to always remember that the long cutscenes you are suffering through getting "perfect" are also going be torturous for a certain type of player to sit through, because they're just waiting to get control again. I try to avoid putting quite as much work into my cutscenes as I might otherwise be inclined because some people just want to play the game and have no patience for non-interactive storytelling.
  • Related to the above, giving the player occasional dialogue choices can go a long way towards making your cutscenes more like light gameplay and less like "you will watch this movie now"

I remember way back in the day this used to be even more excruciating, because OG 2k(3) either didn't *have* a "wait until finished" option for character movements, or if it did have one, something about it was incredibly jank, I don't remember what, but I do remember having to MANUALLY do "guess and check" with manual wait events to get the timing right when I wanted to choreograph character movements and animations and oh jesus I am having flashbacks hahaha...

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
What you could do is have a "skip cutscene" switch for your use only, and in each cutscene event, you first do a conditional branch to see if that switch is on or not.
A further thing you can do is in the conditional event, you can use a variable to skip ahead to the next cutscene or part of the cutscene.

Yilou

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you all for your advice. This is extremely useful information for me!

TheGentlemanLoser

If I understand correctly, you propose to save the game at the end of the desired page, and then load it on the desired page and edit. Thus, all the "before" actions will be saved, which was the main problem for me. After all, if I need to edit, for example, page 8, then before it there can be information about the position of characters and other things on 3, 4, 5 and indeed any page. All this information has to be transferred to test the eighth page. It's such a headache ..
If it works, then it looks extremely useful! And this is the first thing I will try. I will have to disable the skip function main menu for this.

CHKNRAVE

Surprisingly not sponsored by Yanfly.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't exit the project as soon as you spot one flaw, instead just write it down and keep watching. This way, you'll have more things to change after just one test run.

If you're testing a long event, add a choice menu at the beginning with key points. Use the "Jump to label" command, paired with labels at these key points, to quickly jump to a point in your scene. Don't forget the "Set event location" command (before you jump to the label) to position your events as they're going to be at this point in the event.

Alternate idea: create one "Resume" label, and a choice menu at the beginning like previously but with the option to either resume (which positions the events and jumps to the label) or play the scene from the start (which does nothing). When you spot a flaw in your event, move the "Resume" label right before the first thing you're changing, make sure the events are properly positioned in the choice menu, and you're ready to pick up where you left off.
You can even keep the game open while you're editing the events' positions, so you don't have to memorize them or use a screenshot. Once your test run is complete, you just have to test the event again from the start to make sure the Resume option didn't place any event incorrectly.

Yilou

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV

TheGentlemanLoser

I tried to do as you described, but when loading some characters are not displayed. This is strange.
fghghjghjghj.png

SigmaSuccour

Incredible speed! I tried it and it works great. I would like to play around with its functions but I don't understand Japanese :(. Is it possible to replace the standard "Fast Forward" in the game with this plugin? Will this plugin be translated into English in the future?

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

...but I don't understand Japanese :(. Is it possible to replace the standard "Fast Forward" in the game with this plugin? Will this plugin be translated into English in the future?

I don't understand Japanese either. And we can't wait for a possible English Translation...
So we simply have to manage with Google Translate and DeepL.
Open the .js file in a text editor, and copy-paste the Japanese text into a translator. And understand from there. :LZSooo:

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One trick I do when testing a multi-page cutscene is I make the other pages not able to ever run (I put them on an impossible condition like variable >= 9000000 or something silly like that) then just test page 1. Once it is done and sets the condition that would normally start page 2, I save manually.

Sometimes this requires adding a blank page between the pages with the original condition so I can save though.

The other way though is to add a open save screen at the end of the page too, like mentioned above.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've decided "Attack on Equestria" should be released first... hence this new ARG channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClKiUI8xOVx9dsF4kRXUmxw
Check it out, and subscribe! The ARG will lead up to the video game. It's not a creepy game, but I just thought it should follow ARG standards.
For anyone interested in my project M - i finally made a gamethread about it :D

Yay. I turned 39 today. Another year older, another year closer to the grave.
I'm sure the latest post/thread in the sidebar used to have 5 posts. Was it always been like this?

Made it to the 10th video doing this! :kaocry:

renderTimingPixel.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClementPanchout