Beedoe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hey guys.

So I've gotten a bit of advice from the community about this, but not enough to know if everything I want to do is possible without plugins.

This is my idea:

In combat, the player attacks by typing in an action using the keyboard.

The damage dealt is based on the specific enemy's response to that action, with some actions doing damage, some healing enemies, and some doing nothing, though once again these actions' effects are based on the enemy, not the actions themselves.

I want actions to do less damage if the same one is used repeatedly.

I also want enemies to have text responses to specific actions that effect them, even if they do no damage.

Lastly, I want a message to appear on the screen during the player's turn (similar to Undertale) displaying the enemy's current status/mood/etc. which will change at different points in battle based solely on how many turns have gone by.

Sorry for the long explanation. Like I said, I know how to do some of these things but would like to hear from the community to see if there is an easier/faster way to go about those things, and to see if some of the more complicated stuff is possible as well.

Thanks in advance :3

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Possible in theory but not feasible in practice - trying to event something like this would be clumsy and unintuitive for the player, extremely difficult for you to make, and offer no scalability.  You should use plug-ins.

Beedoe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Mmm well I have to disagree about how it would appear to the player (if done correctly), since it would literally require typing in one of numerous words hinted at through dialogue and combat.

Thank you for your input though :)

SinのAria

The Chaotic One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
C++
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have to agree with wavelength here for the most part. Without plugins or scripts, it wouldn't look very good and would require a lot of work to be done.

It is definitely possible. I've done something similar (I didn't get too far since it was a pain to try to implement without any scripts for every enemy encounter).

I disagree about the no scalability thing, but I would have to say that as far as player enjoyment goes, it wouldn't be very high.

Beedoe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have to agree with wavelength here for the most part. Without plugins or scripts, it wouldn't look very good and would require a lot of work to be done.

It is definitely possible. I've done something similar (I didn't get too far since it was a pain to try to implement without any scripts for every enemy encounter).

I disagree about the no scalability thing, but I would have to say that as far as player enjoyment goes, it wouldn't be very high.

Thanks for the advice :D

cybrim

Tinker of the Nether
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You HAVE to use scripts to make typing work at all... so scripting is MANDATORY... at least for... well 90% of what you would like to accomplish. Without scripts you'd have to make moods states... that is a headache.

mauvebutterfly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you don't want to use plug-ins you won't have keyboard support. You could have a blank character who exists solely to store text input and have the player rename that character every time they use a text attack. You would need to use script calls to compare the new name with anything since by default RPG Maker only lets you compare numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beedoe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks for the responses guys.
I was planning on using a plugin for keyboard text, but I see that everything else would either be messy or not work at all using RPG maker alone, so I'll look into getting a plug-in for it all.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm gonna put my project on pause for a tiny bit so I can explore the engine outside of it... Winging it can only get you so far LMFAO
Have seen some of my favorite people here posting and helping others with questions today -- love to see it!
Haven't been on here actively in awhile, project is going strong my biggest issue is the STORY, i'm refining the plot and learning so much i decided to take a writers class to improve even more but the programming and functionality of the game is stepping up nicely!
Hi everyone! Here's what I'm working on today! It's one of the dorms on campus. I know I said I wouldn't use assets but I reused a few things from the cafeteria hehe.
FCuxBOMXMAICK5e
I added a little squish effect when characters change direction to try and make things a bit more lively. Though it's a bit hard to see on the fast moving guys.
2f4fiuy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anrirck