Thalzon's MV Battlers

Thalzon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Those look awesome! :) Are you, by any chance, planning on bringing back any of your front view battlers? Maybe you still have them somewhere in larger and just need to re-export them or something like that. We certainly can't expect you to remake them from scratch. :) If you don't have them, did you try resizing them with some software, like Yanfly did for his icons? Those look pretty good, and I wonder which method he used.
I did originally think to go back and resize most of the front-view battlers (save for a handful whose originals are in a corrupted file), but now I'm not entirely sure. There are a lot and back when I started I wouldn't copy and edit old battlers to make new ones, just outright edit and save over old ones. Plus I intend to have much more stylized humans from now on, and the old ones won't mesh with the new so well. I'll putz around with the idea, we'll see what comes of it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I haven't uploaded them yet, but I am going back and making changes. The deer are more brightly-coloured, a few enemies have been touched up so none of their parts blend together so much, and all the shadows were changed to flatter blob types that aren't just the monster flattened. :p

I'll upload them late tonight once I get back home.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
They look pretty good so far. My only concern is since the side view players are animated and these are not, wouldn't that get you an odd mismatch of art styles in the game?

Hoppy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I like that owl and rat and the tadpole has a funny pose.

Exemplar

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Wow, I really like these!  I'm still leaning for a less cartoony look, personally, but your battlers aren't making my decision any easier lol.  Keep up the great work!

rodethos

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
very nice work , you have some nice textures here

felsenstern

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The rat it is! ;-)

The shadows are great, but I would prefer to have them in a seperated file and below the battler in case I let them levitate or jump.

Btw. your Ace Battlers are upscaling pretty nice on waifu2x and I am rescaling all kinds of Ace Resources since Archeia told me about waifu2x but I always would prefer to get my hands on highres originals.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I like these shadows much better thalzon, the more circular less detailed form lends itself better to the cartoon look.

Alisson Sousa

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Thank you very much Thalzon. surely I'll use then and hope to see more.

felsenstern

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Groovie :rock-right:

Can it be, that your actual battlers are slightly influenced by Tyler Warren or is it just coincidence?

Liak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
As fas as I know, Tyler's stuff came much later than Thalzon's. :) And I also have to say that I find their styles quite different?

Thalzon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Tyler did come later, but I love his style. I think he does amazing shading (by hand, no less!) and he's definitely an inspiration for this newer set.

Meike

||Telling Stories Through Games||
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
These are adorable! Yet so cool B)

Awesome work!

Rezca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Amazing <3

I especially love the owl, slime, and thorny-plant :)

Looking forward to any future work you do, as always!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I keep forgetting how much I hate how VX-MV implements fences and autotile tables.
Big 10:40 composition of mine! I'll be using this for a big city in my current project! This track is huge, and took me one entire month of full time work to complete. If you want more info, like on the lyrics, check out this thread.
Balancing the Damage numbers in my Game's Battle System makes me feel like I'm some kind of a Math Genius @_@
Remember, you can enter up to THREE effects for a chance to win a copy of MZ! Only 11 submissions so far, the chances of winning is high! :D https://itch.io/jam/elfkisser

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooglerampage