That Empty Feeling After Finishing a Series

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Jxkl5, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Jxkl5

Jxkl5 Flying Narwhale Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Have you ever had that empty feeling after finishing a series of any kind? Usually it happens with movies and tv shows, but once in a while it occures from a book... The Book of Three series, for exmple, could have gone on forever.  After finishing that series, I wlaked around silent... alone... empty...

Tv shows affect me the most...  Hellsing actually disipointed me with its end, which ruined it for me.  Recently I finished Blood+... sooooo empty.......

What series/ books have affected you like this?

2. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    LOST

I was kinda "lost" after it was finished.

Susan likes this.
  3. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Harry Potter... ;_;

The feels.

SomaelCK and Jxkl5 like this.
  4. Jxkl5

First Language:
    American
    I was going to mention Harry Potter... The Series of Unfortunate Events series...Psych soon... :'(

5. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hmmmm actually I feel like I conquered something when I finish a "series". Call it a book, or an anime show, or a game franchise x'D! (mostly the last! -?-). And anyway after finally getting to end something leaves me with so much time to continue with something else that I wanted to try.

After finishing something, I care to take the good experiences, and that's it, there is still a lot more waiting for me! (?),

Iihcoro Ikelevuoz

6. OM3GA-Z3RO

OM3GA-Z3RO Wounded Seraphim Veteran

I know that feeling of emptiness

it feels horrible, especially watching an amazing anime with a very good storyline the last time I had that feeling was when I finished Angel Beats I think, I am a sucker when it comes to those kind of endings. Only in anime though

Jxkl5 likes this.
  7. Eschaton

Eschaton Hack Fraud Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's usually a combination of emptiness and contentedness.  I remember getting that feeling with Battlestar Galactica, Harry Potter, the Mass Effect trilogy, Arrested Development, and the Scott Pilgrim series.  I'm going to feel that way soon over How I Met Your Mother.  There are a few others, I just can't think of them right now.

But I wanted to emphasize bittersweetness over emptiness.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2013
  8. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It doesn't make me feel empty but like Escaton said if it is a good series with a good ending it makes me feel bittersweet but satisfied. Examples of this would be blood+, The Last of us, and The Legend of Dragoon. Then there are really good stories that have terrible or rushed endings that leave me disappointed like in Mass Effect 3 and the wheel of time series... both of these were great but ended in a bad way.

9. NPC

NPC Auteurist in this world Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In the Wheel of Time's defense, it was finished by another author.

My thoughts on that "empty feeling"? I definitely get it with many of those single season animes, Firefly, and my most memorable experience was with Narnia.

10. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Full Metal Alchemist. I still can't believe it's over.

Jxkl5 and SomaelCK like this.
  11. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I still haven't finished watching Transformers Prime because I don't want it to be over. :|

SomaelCK likes this.
  12. SomaelCK

SomaelCK Lv 99 Simple Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    Burmese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To answer TC... Harry Potter(Novel), LoTR Trilogy and some videogames (the recent one is Batman Arkham Origin for me).

13. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Zelda... well, it's not really over, but I played and beaten almost every single one so far and it probably won't be another two years before the next one. >.>

14. Eschaton

Eschaton Hack Fraud Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Zelda's over to me.  Twilight Princess (GCN) was the last great Zelda game.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
    Jxkl5 likes this.
  15. Ika_chan

Ika_chan Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    No kidding. In recent years, the problems I had with modern entertainment got so bad, that continuing to read/watch it just became something I wasn't willing to suffer through anymore. So I almost never watch or read any modern entertainment anymore. Life is short, and there are plenty of productive things I could be doing, instead of watching/reading/playing something that quickly becomes stupid and frustrating (if not disgusting) for various reasons. And if the consumers show that they're willing to take in any garbage people might put out there, just because it's there, then we have no one to blame but ourselves if we end up getting ONLY garbage, before long.

If every time you do something, the results are negative, my take is that you should quit putting yourself in that situation, rather than continue to suffer the consequences of continuing to do it. Like playing bad MMORPGS where all you do is whack monsters for days of your life on end to do quests for NPCS who are nobodies, to gain levels that take weeks to gain, just to get to the next area so you can do it all over again. Not sure whose idea of fun that is, but... count me out!

16. Jxkl5

First Language:
    American
    Oh, I love the series, they were really good... I was just sad that they ended... :(

17. Ika_chan

Ika_chan Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    ^_^; Yeah... there was that, too...

I didn't mean to sound like such a jerk about it... it's just that it is a big letdown when you start out really liking something, only to end up feeling like you've been robbed when the ending goes south. x_x  I remember one series I only had part of for a very long time, and I watched it over and over again... but when I finally got the rest of it, the ending was just painfully bad, and the extra videos for it were just plain abominable. It was like the author forgot about/didn't understand their own characters! And not just the endings, even, but all the times when I found series that had characters and story with massive potential... only for it to go nowhere, or end up with all of the substance of one long bathroom joke. It's like... "SERIOUSLY?!!! You had those characters/ideas, and you did WHAT?!!!"

So when it came to the point that pretty much everything I picked up ended up turning out that way, I got kind of sick of trying. But I hold out hope that it won't always be like that. Kind of like I hope that the indie gaming industry absolutely mops the floor with the traditional one, on the grounds that indies aren't afraid to have an original thought, even at the risk of it flopping.

18. Jxkl5

First Language:
    American
    Yeah, I was dissapointed with Hellsings ending... They changed Integra... It missed the seriousness from the rest of the series

19. EtphTheElephant

EtphTheElephant Advanced Elephant Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh my god the feels, that was the the only anime that made me cry.

20. West Mains

West Mains Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    When I finished Breaking Bad.

There's a void that no other series has filled yet. Nothing else could get people so god dayum HYPED up. The wait between the first and second half of the last season felt like decades but when that first episode came out it was absolutely electric.