That moment when...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oddball, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I figured id start a thread about moments during development of games when you realized you could do something another way (for everyone to participate in)

I'll start.
    So I thought i needed Yanfly's script for adding/removing states to user after using skills to make interesting skills.
    Until i realized your can do that with common events >.<

2. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That moment when I figured out the things you could do with Switches.

My first failed game had several near-identical instances of the town map, because every time something changed on it, I thought I had to use an entirely new map for it.

Basileus and mishakoc like this.
  3. mishakoc

mishakoc Professional Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When I was a newbie and didn't have effective methods to do stuff, I had a lot of problems with mass copying events, then finding out I had to change something, delete them all, change the thing, mass copy it again, rinse and repeat.

So I'd say the moment I found out how useful common events are and how much they make your life easier. That and being able to initialize maps using them. After that, the moment Yanfly's event copier was released and made all this even easier, was probably the happiest day of my game-making.

4. V_Aero

V_Aero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The moment I figured out one can use custom graphics.. hey I was 10y old :D

5. BURNING_JUSTICE_Games

BURNING_JUSTICE_Games Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Variables were an absolute game changer!

CallMeKerrigan likes this.
  6. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The moment I realized folk on this forum were pretty dayum okay and decided to go from lurker to active member. Changed a lot and all for the better xD

7. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The moment I realized scripts can actually help you with events. Especially when it comes to battle systems.

8. AmatureStudent

AmatureStudent I am not a Robot Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A few years back when I kept making a seperate copy of the map for cutscenes because I hadn't figured out you could use self switches to end an autorun event.

9. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    "That moment" got me into the PC RPG Maker series. "That moment" in 2010 set me on the path to becoming a genuine game developer.

I used to be a big fan of the PlayStation RPG Makers, and I was really involved in the RPG Maker Pavilion (which goes back long before the legal PC releases, and was console-centric). I had certainly played some PC RPG Maker games - but nothing mind-blowing. And I had made a few small games in RPG Maker 3 - stuff I was proud of making a limited engine like RM3 do, but really basic stuff by the standards of "real" games. So I entered a game in a contest at the Pavilion, and I lost. The winner was a game called "Simple Man's Quest for the Playground" by Ryner. Aside from playing smoothly, what really impressed me was how every character - every ability, in fact, did something completely unique and fitting, as if the engine was somehow designed for this specific game - combo skills, summoned battlers, progressive skills that got more powerful when used, and more! And it had a cooldown system that reminded me of my favorite game Guild Wars, so that I wasn't encouraged to keep spamming the same skills over and over.

It was amazing, and I posted how impressed I was at the coding he must have done to put together all these unique skills and implement this cooldown system! "I don't know how to program", replied Ryner! He explained he made the cooldowns with States that sealed skills, and all of the skills were either done with States or the use of Common Events that worked a lot like RM3's eventing system, just better. I was blown away - there's something out there that could let me make this without coding?!?!

24 hours later, I had already downloaded the trial of XP, and was gleefully playing around with Skills and Events to see what kind of cool, crazy stuff I could make. And 9 years later, I'm still at it, and trying to make a career out of making that magic happen. :D

Shikamon, Basileus and Finnuval like this.
  10. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me, probably the moment I decided to just jump into the deep end of MV's engine code and see what made it tick. Between that and looking at other people's plugins to figure out how things worked, I went from being "okay" at javaascript to pretty dayum good at and even developing an affection for it and all of its weird quirks.

Of course, the real test of that will be when (in a future project) I try my luck at creating a whole new battle system instead of just my current set of plugins, which only adjust and enhance things within the existing environment. Well, and a TCG-style system too~

11. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used to put all the plug-ins I could to make everything cooler, even if the plug-in did only one little thing. Then I realized plug-ins made the game run slower, especially on older machines. Although plug-ins are still wonderful, these days I try to use the minimum amount and replace little used plug-ins with similar effects using events.

12. Harosata

Harosata Dramatic Lightning's BFF Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Then: I made a battle system using State Charges to determine battler relationship, i.e. if an enemy has a state charge equal to an actor's id and an actor has a state charge equal to an enemy's index.

Recently: When someone pointed out that State Caster stores the caster of a state.

13. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    • Spent like a week figuring out what was wrong, even refactoring the whole code and structure, just to realize it was just a single wrong parenthesis in the formula all along.
    • With the power of programming, you can use any tab in RPG Maker database for nearly everything. Even perk list in weapon tab because why not.
    • In a game design perspective, you don't need to use all default stat in RPG Maker.
    • After knowing RM for 11 years, in this year, I just realized that you can literally copy tiles as is using CTRL + SHIFT
    • You can use Page up/Page down to control the animation sprite order in the animation tab.
    • Remember the transition effect when you open up the menu and back to map? Yeah, you can do it in eventing (at least in VXAce).

14. Basileus

Basileus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Wavelength I had a moment like that too with a Touhou fan-game I found. It was the first RM game I found that had tons of unique skills that called common events in battle - stuff like skills that triggered tarot card mini-games and spinning cards to determine the effects. There were some cool map effects but it was the battle system that really blew me away.

For an earlier moment when it really clicked for me, I go when I learned more about coding and figured out how to use conditional branches. Not just yes/no stuff but really using them to do fun stuff with switches and variables. It opens up so many options to give the players more choice or make more complicated effects. At least for me it was the big moment when I saw how much you can do with this engine.

M.I.A. and Wavelength like this.