The “How was Work?” Thread

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Ms Littlefish, Jul 5, 2019.

1. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    or, beetroot.

Hollow 1977 likes this.
  2. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Nope. Beetroot's reddish. Not eggplant purple. Beetroot's often mistaken for blood, there's no way you'd mistake this for blood.

Just google it for yourself. It's a bright and pretty purple not at all beetroot like.

I mean, I wouldn't brag to my doctor friends about having seen beetroot colored urine, that would be silly.
    You also cannot mistake one for the other because since this is a reaction to an urinary catheter and light it turns purple outside the bladder. Unlike beetroot where it would exit the urinary tract already reddish.

Anyway, it was neat.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 10:17 PM
    Hollow 1977 and Ms Littlefish like this.
  3. Hollow 1977

Hollow 1977 Rpg MV Game Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I am a cad technician for an alarm company. Got a large job I started on with very few answers and they want it finished asap. It's a school and now I have my answers but still have to layout my circuits, devices, etc. I estimate a month but my boss says they will not accept that. Want me to work OT to finish it earlier but with my achy back it makes it hard to survive the original 8 hours.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 3:20 AM
    Ms Littlefish likes this.
  4. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Astfgl66 Wow. I haven’t gotten a purple urine yet. I’ve seen just about every other color. Well...not blue. Blue in nature is actually so rare! Though, I will say I’ve ascended to the level of lab geek where if someone has an unusual color to any of their specimen it gets to the point where I know who the patient is before I even verify their name and DOB. All last week I had a patient who had very turbid, DARK brown urine. It was also making their serum amber and their stools orange. His renal and hepatic functions were MESSED UP. Throughout the week, every time I saw that serum. I knew who it was. Flip over the specimen. HA! I was right! As time went on the color of all his specimen improved and I’d get a little more and more elated as his results reflected by the improving color. I rarely hear the final fate of most of our inpatients, but I can only assume he went home much better than he came in.

@Hollow 1977 Unreasonable expectations drive away the best of the best. That’s absolute crap. Bosses who keep accepting clients that do not respect the time it takes to do good work are bad bosses.

Hollow 1977 and Astfgl66 like this.
  5. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Purple urines are such a rare occurrence that my senior (near retirement) had never seen it too.
    It makes sense if you read the metabolic path required.
    1- The patient needs to eat a lot of tryptophane
    2- The patient needs to be heavily constipated, and the right biotope must be present in his intestines, so that the tryptophane is absorbed into indole
    3- The product is then metabolized into the liver into indoxyl sulphate, then eliminated by the kidneys
    4- The patient urines must be colonized by the right bacteria that will break down the product into indoxyl
    5- The urines have to be alkalyne so indoxyl is tranformed into indigo (blue) and indirubin (red)
    6- The patient must have a long standing urinary catheter, and it has to be the right material, so that in the presence of light the pigments will react with the plastic and precipitate, allowing us to see them.

This article explains it far better than I ever will: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3894016/
    There's only a photo of a purple urine bag for the squeamish out there, nothing more, it's a safe click.

If you can't guess, I'm still not over it, it's really cool. Also, useless, but that makes it even better.

To stay a bit on topic, yesterday was a very slow day: I had 5 children in my care (my unit has 15 beds available), and there were no new patients so I went to play with the hospitalized children. I don't often get to do that so it was cool, and it was that or writing my thesis so the choice was simple.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 11:17 PM
    Hollow 1977 and Ms Littlefish like this.
  6. Hollow 1977

Hollow 1977 Rpg MV Game Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Ms Littlefish Yeah I am somewhat of a perfectionist with the projects I do and I know what comes about from rushing. It increases stress and mistakes so I always take my time no matter what. Another thing happening here is some of our techs are being overworked and some positions left open due someone retiring are eliminated putting more work on those already working. Corporate greed and its does cause people to leave.

@Astfgl66 So nice of you. You make the children's time spent there easier and filled with joy.