The Amber Throne (Concept Art Added)

Discussion in 'Commercial Games' started by Missile, Jul 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

[​IMG]

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The Amber Throne is a turn-based JRPG-styled game about a girl in a desert world beneath a mysterious floating castle, and her quest to reach it.

After awakening from her coffin, Arra recalls little but the last words spoken by her father, “Destroy the Amber Throne.” Looking into the sky, she finds what was once his magnificent castle is now floating in the sky, far above the world below. Arra must find a way to reach the castle before others catch wind of it, lest the powerful Amber Throne fall into the wrong hands. 

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Amber Throne is a game made with RPG Maker VX and Yanfly Melody tools (with a good bit of custom scripting by Joshua Maca). I started the game in early-mid 2013, working on it a mixture of part/full time.

My hope is that the game will be a nice sample for an RM game. It's made with a specific "mood" in mind, relying more on ambience and theme, so hopefully it feels different enough! We originally intended only to be on RM sites (like Aveyond/Amaranth), so this is very unexpected!

Thanks to all of you who posted in our thread, left feedback, tested builds, watched twitter/screenshot updates, everything! Hope you'll enjoy the game.

Finally, I've also had a really short technical gameplay demo floating around if you want to try it out at: http://www.mediafire.com/download/68l6bbh7y5ti5iv/DemoThrone_3.rar

And of course, Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/382380

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
  2. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Congratulations! It's great to finally see this game done and released it really looks like something special.

3. That Odd One

That Odd One Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So I saw it on Steam today and I had no idea it was made with RPG Maker, I saw it here and wow, good job!

4. Banquo

Banquo scoundrel Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I've bought it on Steam after seeing this presentation! Great artwork and an interesting setting!

5. saintivan

saintivan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    The game looks great, good luck!

6. lalkberg

lalkberg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I remember hearing about this game in early 2014 I believe, and I was super stoked. Congratulations on finishing it! I'll buy it as soon as I can :D

7. dinkledaberry

dinkledaberry Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Olde Englishe
    What the crap?! When did this game come out? Well I know what I'll be playing after the IGMC. Congrats on finishing development! Hope this game gets more attention.

8. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
    slimmmeiske2 likes this.
  9. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Seems amazing, really... but I feel like you already know hahaha

10. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks!

Also, some post-release stuff!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanted to share some info on sales now that we're a bit over 1 month from release!

As of now, Amber Throne has sold 1271 copies, with an average of about 9 sold per day (edit 11/11, now 3-4 per day). 267 of which were on launch day, which got us on the "Popular New Releases" list and later added to the main capsule as a "New" release for an evening. As far as I'm aware of, these numbers are actually pretty consistent with other recent RM releases on Steam.

http://steamspy.com/tag/RPGMaker Steamspy gives a decent view of them, but bear in mind that some of the games were in bundles.

Visibility-wise, AT's had almost 11 million 'impressions' on Steam, and 155,306 views on its store page. The way Steam handles this is public knowledge, but Steam offers you 1 million impressions bare minimum on its store page, typically resulting 0.34% of those impressions clicking-through to your game's page and becoming views. From here, AT's view-to-sale conversion rate is almost 1%, sitting at about 0.81%.

The majority (42%) of its impressions came from Steam's home page, with Tag Pages in second (23%), and External Websites in third (5%). Curators (RPGSite) came in 7th (3%), and  Steam's recommendations came in 10th (1%).

AT's also had about 48 or so refunds, which I think is entirely understandable. The large majority of the reasons behind the refunds were listed as resolution complaints, which seems to be a huge dealbreaker. My hope is that MV receives an add-on to fix its poor resolution, as this may continue to affect RM's reputation in the future.

For some context, AT was also covered by a few websites like IndieGames, Siliconera, and a mention in IGN which got our trailer a decent chunk of views! We kept showing screenshots/etc. on twitter/reddit until reaching spoiler-y content towards the end of development, which the game was also in for a little over 2 years.

Takeaways!:

I'd strongly, strongly recommend getting on the "upcoming" list as fast as you can! A huge amount of impressions can be generated this way, letting people add your game to their wishlists early to make sure you've got a good launch day.

I also think keeping updated on a lot of websites is a good thing, too. For AT, we mostly just focused on RMW, Reddit, and Twitter. But there are a couple other avenues as well; other RM games have had a lot of luck with Tumblr, but mostly on the free side! TIGSource might be good, but I imagine it depends how "RM-y" your game is. In retrospect, TIG may increase your chances of getting noticed by a journalist than just from RM sites.

We didn't really contact journalists or reviewers, since I viewed the game more as an RM game first and foremost. YMMV with this, though!

Financially, I'd say we did "OK!" Realistically I think it'd be far better to keep your development time down to 1 year. I think AT's quality definitely benefited from the 2 year development time, but scaling a game back to about a 6-7 hour experience (similar to Skyborn) or prioritizing which content to customize (similar to Indinera's games) and shortening the development time is probably the better and more efficient way to make RM games. I'd say this is the biggest takeaway, overall.

Reception-wise, I couldn't be happier. It's all been very nice so far, especially soundtrack and story comments, and I've found even the negatives to be mostly understandable! If anything, in light of reality I think AT's general theme and story was well-chosen!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015
    Fireworker, Tome571, Hudell and 8 others like this.
  11. rpgdreamer

rpgdreamer His Royal Highness Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Wow, this game is incredibly beautiful... good luck!

12. 9tkitsune

9tkitsune Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Ooh, nice and shiny~!  Reminds me of Breath of Fire (4), a little ^^ 

Charming. Best of luck! 

13. Tome571

Tome571 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Nice work! It's in my game library! Thanks for the post release update and tips, very helpful info there too. Looking forward to the next idea/demo/release =)

14. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Thank you very much for the awesome in depth info of your sales etc! It's really great for aspiring commercial devs like me, hard numbers like that are interesting to see.

Also, your game looks spectacular in every regard. I had my eye on it since a while ago (someone at RMN's irc mentioned it over a year ago) but I still haven't got to buy it. I will, though! dayum it looks ~fantastic~ !

15. Token

Token Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    This game is really good. 

16. ♥ azura ♥

♥ azura ♥ Solitary Songstress Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    This game looks, honestly, incredible. I love everything about the art style and the concept. The sales info you posted is also a wonderful asset to us aspiring commercial developers, so thank you for that as well. I will absolutely be buying this game very soon. Can't wait to play it. ♥

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015
  17. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The art style is really good, I never tried the game out. Although, I was looking up all the best RPG Maker games seeing if it was worth going commercial. But it seems like it is after all. I thought your game failed when I seen the website not working. Glad to know it is working out good for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  18. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi all - I'm posting AT's Concept Art , an album of 100+ of my drawings and images done before and during development! There's also a good bit of writing about many of the images, explaining the process and decisions that went into them, so lots of text and spoilers. There's also a short history of the concept stages in the beginning, with a lot of art from before I started posting the game, going into detail of how it reached the final version.
    Have been asked about releasing it a few times, so hopefully it's of interest if you're doing something similar, or thinking about it. It ended up bigger than expected. Wanted to share all the info before I forget it.

Some teasers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And again, link: Amber Throne Concept Art

★♥ Also, AT is gonna be on sale for the Steam Summer Sale to July 4th, so check it out maybe! ♥★

And for those still wondering about sales info - our Steamspy should be relatively accurate

saintivan likes this.
  19. Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine Artist/ Developer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    How the heck were you able to create a game like this in 2 years? The art alone must have taken a tremendous effort.

20. m4uesviecr

m4uesviecr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

He's really a bot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2016