RMMV The Asexual FAQ Updated:9/14/20 (Warning: Product Discusses Sex)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this to Completed Games.

Congrats on finishing :)

Pearl484

Sweetly Spiked Flower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

zelanius

Everyman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Congrats @Pearl484 ! I recently found this little gem while browsing the latest post and saw the mini-word wars on asexuality, and I think there is a confusion between "asexual reproduction" and "asexuality" by a certain poster, just to throw in my two cents. In any case, I always find using games as a educational media is a fantastic idea (although I personally am terrible at making those) so kudos!

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you SO much for this. *virtual handshake* I'm genuinely so happy that someone took the time to do research *and* share it with the world.

EDIT: for context, I'm ace, which makes this even better.

Pearl484

Sweetly Spiked Flower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@zelanius Yes, I take every comment seriously. Any misconceptions I see in the comments, I quickly address in the next update. You'll find the difference between asexuality and asexual reproduction in the "Difference Between" section. You'll also find the definition of asexuality in many various areas.

@HexMozart88 I was surprised that almost no one understood it, and that furthermore, any representation that was was either insulting, combined aromantic and asexual or Todd from Bojack Horseman. As great a representation as Todd is, I was getting frustrated that almost every other LGBTQ+ faction was getting more and better representation, and the questions everyone asks are always awkward, no matter if the person should know better.

And while I could do a game about gender-fluid and non-binary, who are almost as neglected in media, every time I speak to someone in those groups, they always give a shrug and just say "use [x] pronouns. That's what I am. It's not that hard" which, while simple and easy to remember, isn't complex enough to justify a game.

zelanius

Everyman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Pearl484 , I do agree, that there is almost 0 representation of ace in the media, and ace comes from different spectrums. I believe that the larger problem is also because for most people, sexual and romantic orientation lines up neatly for them, and hence there is no incentive for them to understand this point. It took me a while to figure out that both my orientation is totally not aligned (to elaborate, I am bisexual but homoromantic).

For gender-fluid and non-binary, maybe it could be tied into another game on sex and gender? In LGBTQ+, there are tons of media these days for L and G, and I am still having difficulty finding media that represents B and T well (Schitt's Creek did a good one on B, and Orange Is the New Black had the T, but they were both North American media, and pretty much only the big long running series "recently" with portrayals as such without resorting to much too stereotypes). Plus, intersex which are sometimes included into the overall + side of things, and they need some representation too. Lastly, I know at least 1 person who mixes up transgender and transvestite (my partner, I love him, but he can be dense at times, although to be fair, English is not his first language).

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thankyousomuchaaaa. I'm demisexual and there's so much misinformation about demisexuality in general, I've been attacked for being demisexual. I will try out your game in the near future for some hopefully accurate infos because demisexuality is often shunned by both hetero and LGBT spaces as not being "real" despite it being very much real. And I thought I was just an alien throughout my teenhood because I couldn't understand many social things/cues revolving around sexual stuff.

Pearl484

Sweetly Spiked Flower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PixeLockeT I have a section on demi-sexuality, although it's not very long, and could almost certainly use improvement. I also have another section on gray-sexuality which was as accurate as I could make it without any first hand sources. I tried to include the major groups in the aro-ace spectrum, but let me know anywhere I can improve.

@zelanius This game has a very brief overview of LGBTQ+, coming out etiquette, and has an option that will explain why you should not ask specific questions that can be similar to LGBTQ+, but I'm currently working on another project, and I doubt I'll create a game like that since the genres I like, fantasy and sci-fi, attracts transgender writers or those who like to write transgender characters. Many writers I read also believe that "everyone is bi" to some extent.

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh hey, neat! I'm Ace as well, so I'm obviously all in on this concept. Really, in this day and age, any kind of resource that can get people up to speed in a quick and easy manner is welcomed. Just to clarify, though, when you say you probably won't do a version about gender since fantasy and sci-fi attracts trans writers, are you saying they've probably done that already in their stories? Anyway, good luck!

Pearl484

Sweetly Spiked Flower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, it's just more likely to be in more media than asexuality, I feel it has more presence, and I feel that they are probably able to express it better than I ever could in this type of format. This took a lot of work, effort, and research, and I am not sure I could cover as wide a range when covering gender. Asexuality has a lot of questions that everyone wants to ask, and a lot of answers so I felt that having all the questions and answers in one place would be a great idea.

While genders have a lot of questions and answers too, I don't think that this kind of format would ever work well for it. The questions and answers about gender mostly aren't about gender. It's about how the world views gender or it's about transitioning. I feel that if I did this format to gender, it might help add fuel to the flame of misconceptions gender rather than serve as a good beginner's guide or worse, drowning myself in trying to learn all the negative stereotypes regarding gender to debunk them might make me lose faith in people or grow bitter. Maybe my fears are unjustified, but I don't think I'm ready to face this type of project in the long term.

I do have a section on LGBTQ+ groups in the game, and it does cover a very brief over view on gender and intersex, including non-binary genders. Later, I might improve that section, but I doubt I'll do a project solely focused on gender due to the reasons I gave above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People3_5 and People3_8 added!

so hopefully tomorrow i get to go home from the hospital i've been here for 5 days already and it's driving me mad. I miss my family like crazy but at least I get to use my own toiletries and my own clothes. My mom is coming to visit soon i can't wait to see her cause i miss her the most. :kaojoy:
Couple hours of work. Might use in my game as a secret find or something. Not sure. Fancy though no? :D
Holy stink, where have I been? Well, I started my temporary job this week. So less time to spend on game design... :(
Cartoonier cloud cover that better fits the art style, as well as (slightly) improved blending/fading... fading clouds when there are larger patterns is still somewhat abrupt for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
_Coby_