The Best Endings

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The end of a project is often the hardest to do properly.  You can see this from the professional industry all the time, as they give us reasons to fight and care about their characters, and then leave us with a hollow ending that doesn't fulfill our needs.  One of the most revealing things about my study of RPG's was that the ending was almost *more* important than the beginning, when it comes to how your game ends up.

In my 30 years of gaming, this is the best ending sequence I've ever played through.  Lufia 2 was a great game all around.  It was the ending that lands it at #2 on my all time games list.

If you have any favorite endings, list them here.   :)

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ugh, best ending. Gonna have to think back for that one I think, but I'd say off the top of my head, FF4, FF9, Ratchet and Clank 3 (that game was amazing), all the Phoenix Wrights, and I'm sure there are some more I can't remember without looking through my game box.

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Now that i'm thinking about it, it's apparent to me how few games i actually finished. Most i simply stopped playing at some point, because they couldn't keep me interested or i had something else on my mind and couldn't get into a game again afterwards.

From those i remember, Enslaved, Bioshock Infinite and Beyond: Two Souls are probably the most memorable. Not necessary because of their endings, but because i was actually sad that the game was over and i couldn't spend more time together with characters i learned to love over the hours i had with them. That said, i played through Beyond in 2 sittings and that only because my PS4 controller eventually ran out of power and was at the end of its capacity at the end of the 2nd night. I played only one ending, doing the best i could to keep Jodie happy and never looked back, never tried to do something different.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've moved this thread to Video Games. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I enjoy realistic endings that aren't all sunshine and rainbows. The best recent one that comes to mind is Last of Us:

Joel sacrifices a cure for the human race and kills the researchers in cold blood because Ellie's situation is too similar to when he lost his own daughter.
Red Dead Redemption got me good, too. That's a real man's ending right there.

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hopefully i can finish Last of Us someday. Started the PS3 version, but put it away after dieing a few times during the generator scene. Since then i actually bought the PS4 version, too, but haven't played it. I got 2 weeks off in june, maybe i can get my lazy self to play again ^^ (didn't open your spoiler, obviously). I found that i have a better chance to actually finish a game, if i try to finish it all at once, since i will probably put it away, if my breaks get too long :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailerius

Engineer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
While I want to say Nier has the best ending I've seen in a game because of the emotional roller coaster and captivating, unique atmosphere it has, I'm inclined to go with Metal Gear Solid 2. My opinion of the game went from "this is pretty cool" to "this is one of the most amazing experiences of my life" after the ending. I think it speaks volumes about how effective it is as cultural commentary that after finishing it, I stayed up until dawn discussing it and sharing my thoughts on it with someone. It made me reevaluate some of my values (such as censorship) and left me wondering what, if any of it was real.

The biggest disappointment of MGS4 was that they answered some of MGS2's questions concretely. I liked not it being left ambiguous.

What a masterpiece. I wish I could blank my mind and experience it again for the first time.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sailerius literally stole the two I was going to say (Nier, MGS2). I'm grumpy now.

(It helps that both of those games are like, A+++++ on narrative and storytelling, so of course they nailed the endings, too. Two of the best games ever story wise in my opinion.)

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Without having played another MGS before, i actually found MGS4 to be quite good. The first boss was actually the best, though, since i didn't have much battery back then. The sequence near the ending where

Snake had to crawl through a tunnel full of microwaves with the player having to mash buttons like no tomorrow
actually worked very well in building tension for me and i got a feeling for Snake's pain.

Also i can remember the last fight with all its flashbacks and both combatants going to their limits to be a huge fanservice for long-time MGS fans.

optimum45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I enjoy realistic endings that aren't all sunshine and rainbows. The best recent one that comes to mind is Last of Us:

Joel sacrifices a cure for the human race and kills the researchers in cold blood because Ellie's situation is too similar to when he lost his own daughter.
Red Dead Redemption got me good, too. That's a real man's ending right there.
Yeah buddy.  That's why Lufia II is so high on my list also.  It did so well pulling you into the role of Maxim that even knowing his fate didn't dampen the emotional power of the ending.  Something about an infant 'sensing' the spirit of his deceased parents passing by on their way to forever.  Still hits me in that place I don't like to admit I have.   :D

Sailerius literally stole the two I was going to say (Nier, MGS2). I'm grumpy now.

(It helps that both of those games are like, A+++++ on narrative and storytelling, so of course they nailed the endings, too. Two of the best games ever story wise in my opinion.)
Both of these were excellent choices.  I've heard a lot of good things about Nier, and it's high on my play list.  MGS2 was an epic experience all around.

Rhaeami

The Sleepy-Eyed One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I rather liked the ending of the Xenosaga trilogy.  The story itself got downright silly at times, but the ending was a good way for a number of different characters to go out, all while dramatically changing the state of the game world and leaving just the right number of questions up in the air... and, of course, the music was nice.  It was also incredibly long and chatty... but that's sort of the whole point of those particular games. :guffaw:

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Broken Age ending was unusual and it even continued to the end credits.

Though it also shows that they had no funds to tell the entire tale.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Broken Age ending was unusual and it even continued to the end credits.Though it also shows that they had no funds to tell the entire tale.
Pretty sure there's a part 2?

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Pretty sure there's a part 2?
End credits happen once Act II ends.

I think you misunderstood. ;)

A lot of people agree that there should have been Act III for a proper conclusion of the story.

Reaction score
First Language
Primarily Uses
N/A
my favorite ending is final fantasy x-2. whether i just really wanted a happy ending or the rest of the game was so bad it made it good, it put a smile on my face.

sweetladyamy

T-Girl Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Some of the best video game endings...

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock is definitely one of them.

Guitar Hero: Smash Hits/Greatest Hits(PAL) also has a great ending.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock has a good ending.

Guitar Hero I also has a great ending.

The ending of Guitar Hero: World Tour is more like the beginning (you'd have to view the movie to get it).

Spy Hunter for PS2 has a few great endings (though I'm not quite sure wheat those red beams are that envelop the world when you lose).

Tony Hawks' American Wasteland has a good ending (and fun to watch).

The original ending video for Hammerhead's Victory in Twisted Metal I (these videos were canned because they were of poor quality) is good too.

The end of Midnight Club 2 is good; the ending of Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition is even better.

I like the end credits for both Lumines and Lumines Plus.

The end movie for Medal of Honor (Play Station) is good; getting the Medal of Valor (100% completion) is even better.

I also like certain ending types.

Like, whenever you finish a song in any Guitar Hero game, the fretboard/highway explodes or vanishes with the appropriate SFX, and the words 'You Rock!' display on the screen. The sequence itself differs from game to game (with exception to GHI, GH2 and Rocks The 80s where it is the same), but my faves are GHIII, GH Aerosmith, GHWT, GHSH, and GHM.

GHIII is like a metal riff that sounds like it is saying 'You Roooooooooock!', and Aerosmith is basically the same, only afterwards the letters explode and fall off the screen, accompanied by an appropriate (and awesome) explosion SFX.

GHWT sounds a bit different, and two fingers shoot lightning at the letters before they explode and fall off the screen (the exploding letters became a staple part of the sequence as of Aerosmith). Also, in GHWT and games beyond, the words 'You Rock!' were translated into the language of the game, such as saying 'Que caña!' in Spanish.

GHSH has a plaque that comes up with the words, and then it vanishes after being electrified, but doesn't explode (only the main games do they explode).

GH Metallica has the St. Anger fist (it's red and has binding ropes around it) punch upward into the screen, and then when the fist retreats, the words 'YOU ROCK!' appear. The background sound effects accompanying this one are awesome, but since this is Metallica, you shouldn't expect any less.

I also like victory music. A lot of Final Fantasy games have Victory Music that makes me feel good.

There are airship themes I like too.

In my RPG Maker game, I plan to use a lot of outside-the-developer music and sounds, including an excerpt of Druox the Shredder's Console War, as the theme for when the character that becomes a force to be reckoned with, becomes fully invulnerable in battle. (Prepare your ears for a barrage of incredibly loud speed metal)

I love soppy, sappy and romantic endings. I love it when the heroes win, and restore balance. Of course, I also respect those who wish to end things badly, especially when the story builds up to it; I get the logic of not switching it up to where things suddenly end well. Like wtf was that. I remember the story of the Little Mermaid by Hans Christiansen. According to him, the main character of the story (I believe her name is Serena), decides to dive into the ocean and drown herself. I respect that because that would be a more realistic ending than Disney's version.

I've written stories that end badly myself, if only to explore the emotional rapture that follows, and try to make it realistic. It's not easy, but I've done it a few times without straying too far off course.

markjacks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Final Fantasy III would be my all time favorite one! I think no one ever topped that of to date for me. 

sweetladyamy

T-Girl Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Final Fantasy III would be my all time favorite one! I think no one ever topped that of to date for me. 
Final Fantasy III...I never got to play that one. (Unless you mean the US version of FFVI)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can hopefully move onto doing visual effects and sound design now. :kaophew:

The latest RPG Maker Games Critique with Studio Blue starts now! Let's jump into Kamigami: Clash of the Gods!

Title Screen 100% Finished
Evangeline.png
I'm starting to enjoy doing pixel art! Not to mention it's getting easier to do commissions :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s666wiki