The "Best" RPG Maker Game?

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Vampire's Dawn, Unterwegs in Düsterburg, Velsarbor.

Ah, the nostalgia...

I just found out, that UiD is being remade (and translated to english for all of you who had to miss this gem) :o

Last edited by a moderator:

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
To The Moon for me, but i have to say i'm really enjoying my time with Echoes Of Aetheria. Star Stealing Prince can complete my top 3.

Strashiner

Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I guess no one mentioned mine haahaha

Jk

Have you heard of nail saga and stray cat crossing.

AntonioTJS

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The ones everyone seems to remember and talk about are To the Moon, Off, and Yume Nikki.

I also see a lot of fanart for Off and Yume Nikki.

I never played To the Moon, but I did played Yume Nikki and Off. I stopped playing them because I thought Yume Nikki was weird (No offensive to the people who like it) and I had a hard time solving a puzzle in Off.

I also liked Off's soundtrack especially the song Pepper Steak.

Chaneque

Prince of Strange Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I really like The Grumpy Knight though, but that may just be because it brought me closer to Indrah who is like minded to me in terms of dev??
I love pretty much everything by Indrah. Such fun to play, such pretty maps to explore, such good storytelling. They're definitely some of my favourites.

(Psst, I like your games too!)

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
well... that's a very subjective question xD

My favourites RM games are still on development :/

Marsh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, based off of all of the Star Stealing Prince responses, I guess I'll have to look into that one first.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Currently, Skyborn, Ib, The Witch's House and possibly Aveyond 3-2 (although that game sits on my Steam hangar (read: library)) are great examples.

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Skyborn.

Need I say more?

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No idea, To the Moon I guess, I'm just so dayum hard to please and I hardly like anything.

I liked a lot the story in Feral Dreams and Castle Oblivion though (just the story though because the games are so dayum old and a bit bare bones gameplay-wise).

txtk

Apprentice
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
I'm not sure about the best but the most underrated one should be Ocean Siren, by far the best RPG Maker "chain game". Too bad the game never finished. It's like chain games project never works. :(

If you count in other language games, the Vietnamese and Chinese RPG Maker community have some unbelievable games. The graphics are sensational. The thing is those Asian games have too much graphic rips and probably copyright violation.

FlareBlitzed

Interdimensional Traveller
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Don't believe any single RPG Maker game is brilliant in comparison to others, some stand out distinctively, but the story of the game for me is what makes it unique/special. :)

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
To the Moon.  It's not only my favorite rpg maker game, it's one of my favorite games of all time.   Though I consider it less of a "game" than I do a visual novel type of thing.

More traditional games for me:  Soul Sunder, Northwall (still in development! But I played a demo that was done all the way up until the last 2 parts of the final dungeon.  I absolutely loved it).   There are a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head.  

txtk

Apprentice
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
To the Moon theme is so "sad" for my taste. I mean, I play games for fun, to be entertained. Life have enough of sadness things already. :(

Marsh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm not sure about the best but the most underrated one should be Ocean Siren, by far the best RPG Maker "chain game". Too bad the game never finished. It's like chain games project never works. :(

If you count in other language games, the Vietnamese and Chinese RPG Maker community have some unbelievable games. The graphics are sensational. The thing is those Asian games have too much graphic rips and probably copyright violation.
I'm actually quite interested in the Vietnamese and Chinese games. I know I could probably find them on my own, but I wouldn't know what to look for. Have you played any?

txtk

Apprentice
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
I'm actually quite interested in the Vietnamese and Chinese games. I know I could probably find them on my own, but I wouldn't know what to look for. Have you played any?

I used to download games from 66rpg (Chinese website, don't go in there, virus) and gamevn.com (Vietnamese). There used to be a huge collection of games there. When RPG Maker 2003 unofficial translation came out in those year, it's a very big thing in the Vietnamese and Chinese community. People making games everywhere, 24/7. But things have been declining over the years. I can't even access to 66rpg now because my Avast will have a virus alert.

Chinese and Vietnamese RPG Maker forums are like zombies now. They couldn't get the funding and support to make commercial games. People doesn't have a professional attitude to even finish a game. Most of the great games I was talking about actually is unfinished. They are great but people just can't finished them. Either they don't have enough time and money, or they don't have enough inspiration and patient to continue to follow this left-hand career.

That's why me and 3 friends move on to the English speaking community. We'll try to combine some of the greatest aspects in those Vietnamese/Asian games into our games.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
"Best" is such a strong word :/ I like a lot of RM games, which definitely aren't the best or in some cases even very good ^^;

But I guess the most well known one is probably To The Moon. Lots of famous LPers have played it and it was (or still is?) the best selling RM game on Steam.

In Japan, it's probably Ib. I actually have a mini figurine of Garry, as they were selling those when I was in Japan; such a surreal feeling to see RPG Maker games' merchandise :D

The_Trinity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I need to play more RPGmaker games, but I'm really liking World's Dawn so far. Although its more of like alot like Harvest Moon, and less of an RPG.

But I really liked the old Harvest Moon games soooo.....

Marsh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
"Best" is such a strong word :/ I like a lot of RM games, which definitely aren't the best or in some cases even very good ^^;

But I guess the most well known one is probably To The Moon. Lots of famous LPers have played it and it was (or still is?) the best selling RM game on Steam.

In Japan, it's probably Ib. I actually have a mini figurine of Garry, as they were selling those when I was in Japan; such a surreal feeling to see RPG Maker games' merchandise :D
Yeah, I heard that Ib was a pretty big deal there for a little bit, as well as Yume Nikki.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trauma, drama, llamas--sadly the only one of those things I'm not experiencing RN is the camelids.
Do you ever just write or say nonsense? String together words to make a sentence that sounds pretty but is meaningless?
Writing down my ideas for my next game during break times at work XD I need to finish my current one very soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dat-Writer