The Book of Shadows (Released 9.12.19)

Discussion in 'Commercial Games' started by bgillisp, Sep 21, 2014.

1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Introduction:

The Book of Shadows is an RPG game about a young man who, through a series of events, ends up finding this mysterious book, then ends up teleported into a fantasy world, with mysterious people hot on his tail. Can you help him stay one step ahead of them, and at the same time figure out why this book is so important, all in an unfamiliar world?

The World:

The game involves two worlds, Earth and Esteron. A summary of each is below.

Earth: The game is set in Earth in the year 2046 AD. About 30 years ago, Earth was devastated by a war initiated by Monatgor. To this day, traces of that war and his dark experiments still linger in the world. Parts of the known world are uninhabitable now, and no one lives there but the truly desperate. The war also fractured the United States, such that it is now broken into an East and West US, as the states of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas were wiped out in the war, and they are total wastelands. No one goes there unless they have to. Also, the western parts of the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma were devastated as well. Transportation between the two sides is still possible by plane, but it is now impossible to drive from one side of the US to the other.

Esteron: The world of Esteron is your typical fantasy world. However, about 50 years ago, a failed shuttle launch from Earth found it's way here, and the residents of Esteron have been working on a way of finding out just where is this strange world with this strange tech? The Mages of Esteron attempted to open portals to find and communicate with the residents of this strange world, but all attempts failed, until one day, in the town of Dragonblast, portals opened during the New Year's celebration, and an army came out and slaughtered the residents with their powerful technology. Eventually the army was defeated, and the portals closed, but the citizens of Esteron are now fearful of this other world and what they might do to them, if the portals open again.

It is into this that the player enters. You have no knowledge of the world of Esteron, but that is about to change.

The Characters:

Alex: [​IMG]
    -The main character. He is currently on leave from the North US army.

Talia:[​IMG]
    -Alex's girlfriend. Constantly loves to do science experiments, even if they tend to blow up from time to time.

Elliot: [​IMG]
    -Close friend of Alex's. Has made a huge amount of money selling mysterious potions to the locals. Just where did he get these potions anyways?

Liana: [​IMG]
    -She is the youngest child of the Stardew family, and is currently studying with the Magi of Elmwood. She just finished her sixth year in the Magi program.

Cedric: [​IMG]
    -Liana's bodyguard. Loves to eat. Be sure to not grab the last piece of bread when he is looking, else he might fight you for it!

Sarah: [​IMG]
    -Liana's roommate. She tends to say what is on her mind, whether you want to hear it or not. Also loves to play pranks.

Josie: [​IMG]
    -A fellow student of the Magi, she is in the class below Liana and Sarah's. Currently, Josie is working for the Magi during the summer term as a representative to the people of Elmwood.

Screenshots:

From Demo.

[​IMG]
    Wandering a garden at night.

[​IMG]
    Wonder what these are?

[​IMG]
    Wandering the Elmwood Earth Caves

Post Demo Screenshots.

[​IMG]
    -Let's go sailing! Too bad there's all these undead in the way.

[​IMG]
    -I wonder what a Mostly Useless is?

[​IMG]
    -Exploring Thundermeadow Peaks.

[​IMG]
    -Is that dress snoring?

[​IMG]
    -And the award for Understatement of the Year goes to...

Videos:

Official Trailer!

Official Battle Video! This was taken in the Mana Stream, a Chapter 9 dungeon. You can see the various Auto Skills in action here as well. Note though that Liana, Sarah, and Josie had their ultimate weapons equipped in this video so some of their attacks will look a little OP here.

A silly scene from Chapter 3, included just for fun.

Let's Plays and Reviews:
    Hawkzombie did a let's play for the game through the 2nd boss of Chapter 1. Here's the video:

The Demo. Includes the intro and Chapter 1:
    Version 1.6.3, Released 10.18.2019: https://www.mediafire.com/file/1e7dkxi32mwaq90/The_Book_of_Shadows_Demo.exe/file

This version no longer requires winrar as all external document files are now in the .exe.

-The VXACE RTP is not required to run this file.

To Purchase:
    Currently available at Aldorlea Games for $19.99: https://aldorlea.org/thebookofshadows.php

Itch.io and Steam releases pending.

Changelog:

Version 1.6.3 (Demo):
    -Updated the demo to include the extra options that are now in the full version. They are the option to set the difficulty higher than before, and the option to turn off Autosave.

Credits:

This game was made in RPG Maker ACE, and uses the following resource packs for RPG Maker ACE:

RPG Maker DS Resource Pack
    [Copyright](C) 2012 ENTERBRAIN, INC;
    artists Archeia, EvilEagles

RPG Maker DS+ Resource Pack:
    artists Archeia, EvilEagles, Tobby Ong, Caz

Rural Farm Tiles Resource Pack
    [Copyright](C) 2014 ENTERBRAIN, INC;
    artist Celianna

Futuristic Tile Set Pack,
    artist Celianna.

Modern Day Tileset Resource Pack,
    artist Lunarea.

Tyler Warren RPG Battlers 1st 50 Pack
    [Copyright](C) 2013 ENTERBRAIN, INC;
    artist: Tyler Warren

Tyler Warren RPG Battlers 2nd 50 Pack
    [Copyright](C) 2014 DEGICA, LTD;

Tyler Warren RPG Battlers 5th 50 Pack
    [Copyright](C) 2016 DEGICA, LTD;

The Adventurer's Journey, Volume II,
    [Copyright](C) 2014 DEGICA, LTD,
    Musician: D.C. Kairi Sawler

Modern Music Mega Pack,
    [Copyright](C) 2013 Joel Steudler

Cinematic Soundtrack Music Pack
    [Copyright](C) 2013
    Joel Steudler

Graphics:

-Allusion
    -Archeia
    -Ayene
    -Busted Ed
    -Candacis
    -Enterbrain
    -Haydeos
    -Hiddenone
    -Indrah
    -Kaazador
    -Kadokawa
    -Kaijira (Aaron Jim)
    -Kes
    -Kesakitty
    -Ksi
    -Mantobo
    -Marquise*
    -Michael Rookard
    -Pandamaru
    -Thalzon

Sound:

-Aaron Korgh
    -Darren Curtis
    -darkgot, from freesound.org
    -The Tick Tok Game and Captain Kook from
    Eric Matyas, www.soundimage.org
    -Geoff Moore, http://geoffmoore.co.uk/

-http://www.freesfx.co.uk

Internal Scripts:

-Dekita
    -Dr. Todd
    -Enterbrain
    -Formar0153
    -Hime
    -Modern Algebra
    -Neon Black
    -RPG Maker Source
    -Sixth
    -Shaz
    -Yanfly

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019 at 8:33 AM
    atoms, dreamfall887, TWings and 12 others like this.
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I will approve this but embed the screenshots on your topic. Nobody wants to go to an external site to see them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2014
  3. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm trying, but it is not letting me. It says that extension is not allowed. I know there is a link on how to post screenshots on here somewhere, but can't find it (and a search in the search engine came up empty). Can you post the link please?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2014
    Marquise* and YakuzaMakoto like this.
  4. FleetingInfinity

FleetingInfinity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Found a bug that keeps you from going forward in the game:

After fighting and defeating the Spider Queen you cannot move. There's probably some event running still.

Marquise* likes this.
  5. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    wow... Sarah is a very conspicous thief with the way she's dressed... seriously, a miads outfit?

6. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have an idea how that might have occurred now. Did you exit the sewers via the SW exit first and return to Elmwood? If not, the game might be looking for an event that hasn't happened yet. Apparently I'll need to add a check to stop players from fighting that fight before returning to Elmwood first. Retreat to the SW and go up that ladder, and go back to the representative, then reenter. Then the game should let you proceed.

Yeah, placeholder graphics. It was the best face image I could find. When/if this gets finished I do intend to change the graphics (and Sarah is on my list for the first one to change too).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
  7. FleetingInfinity

First Language:
    English
    Do you mean the South-East?  Because in the South-West there's only half a ladder that leads to nowhere.

I tried going out the South-East exit and going back into Elmwood, the door does not work.  I just walk right into the space and nothing happens.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
  8. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Doh! I extended the wall up a tile and forget about the ladder. Thanks! Can you go up into the event at all at the end of the ladder to nowhere?

9. FleetingInfinity

First Language:
    English
    Tried that already, no luck.

10. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ok. I got it fixed now, thanks for finding that bug! I uploaded a new download, but since the file is so big, if you download just the encrypted archive and replace that file, it should fix your game. Make sure to save near the ladder on the SW side before you install it though, it may cause unpredictable behavior if you are at the spider queen still before you are supposed to be there.

Link to the patch, should work without doing a full redownload: https://www.mediafire.com/?7tenex539kngphh

11. FleetingInfinity

First Language:
    English
    The patch fixed it just fine, thank you.   Was able to get back to the town and then after that past the Spider Queen without any issue.     I'll play it more tomorrow and let you know if I find any other issues.

12. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Glad to hear! Let me know your thoughts on the tower part, that area is the area I am most concerned about, as I know where the hidden weapon is, so wonder how others who don't know where it is do in this area of the game.

13. FleetingInfinity

First Language:
    English
    I really like the tower's design.  Like how you slipped a few things in there amidst the doors.   Also, I found the sword and the armor.

At least I'm guessing I did. Lifedrinker and Love Block were what I found in the chest.

14. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I meant the staple gun while in the tower,

Its hidden under Phoenix's bed, and it gives you 5 attacks at low damage to random targets. It tends to shred most enemies in the tower due to their low HP though.
    but glad it still worked. And you did find the two hidden weapons below the tower, good! I wondered if anyone would stumble across them. They are probably the most powerful items in the game at this point in time, and should make the upcoming boss fight much easier. I don't know if  you got to that boss yet, but if you did:

He uses clone, which gives him an extra turn while the spell is in effect. At this stage of the game you have no way to dispel it (short of getting lucky on an attack, as there is a 20% chance to dispel it on any attack) so essentially it turns him into a boss that acts twice in every round once he casts clone.

In my opinion he is the hardest boss currently in the game, as chapter 2's bosses still (probably) need to be made tougher.
    Did you try the Chomp fight? I've won it with Sarah in the party, but usually with no MP left on about anyone. Was wondering if anyone else has won it yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
  15. FleetingInfinity

First Language:
    English
    but glad it still worked. And you did find the two hidden weapons below the tower, good! I wondered if anyone would stumble across them. They are probably the most powerful items in the game at this point in time, and should make the upcoming boss fight much easier. I don't know if  you got to that boss yet, but if you did:

He uses clone, which gives him an extra turn while the spell is in effect. At this stage of the game you have no way to dispel it (short of getting lucky on an attack, as there is a 20% chance to dispel it on any attack) so essentially it turns him into a boss that acts twice in every round once he casts clone.

In my opinion he is the hardest boss currently in the game, as chapter 2's bosses still (probably) need to be made tougher.
    Did you try the Chomp fight? I've won it with Sarah in the party, but usually with no MP left on about anyone. Was wondering if anyone else has won it yet.

Oh yeah, I found the Staple gun, too.   I beat the Chomp, and I thought I'd be able to beat that Undead Guardian for a bit, too, before he cast Restoration and some other spell.   Then he slaughtered me.

I didn't really think of the staple gun as being as hidden of a weapon as the other one.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
  16. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Chomp's meant to be winnable, but a stretch at this point in the game (though it does give you about 2 more levels than you are supposed to have at this point too if you pull it off, as you are supposed to be level 4 or 5 or so  going into chapter 2). The undead guardian has a high DEF for this point in the game  which makes him near impossible at this point in the game, and that restoration spell he uses on turn 8 or 9 or so heals him a ton (thankfully its a one time use trick of his). He's meant to be beaten later in the game, maybe when you have 5 - 6 more levels and better equipment. The passage though is there to sneak in, grab the treasure, and sneak out, if you can find it that is. Think of it as a hidden reward for exploring the area carefully.

I'm impressed you made it long enough for him to use restoration though! I usually get wiped out by two casts of Disease Wave in a row before he gets that far.

17. FleetingInfinity

First Language:
    English
    One thing I did forget to mention, if John uses poison blade the animation repeats ten times before moving to the next person.

18. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for finding that! Seems I had it on repeats 9, so it was repeating the animation many times. I've never learned any skill above 1000 JP, as I usually go in order, so skills with more than 1000 JP are untested (mostly), but were left in to show you what you could learn later on. If you find bugs on them though let me know, better to fix them now than later.

19. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've been playing with tints recently, here is an image of a ruined tower that I've been working on over the last week. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    The screenshot is added to the top as well.

20. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The download is updated! This download has the rest of chapter 2, and a new battle music. Also, buffs have been rebalanced (+10 instead of +5 to stats on all buffs), and some status aliment spells also do damage as well as inflict the status aliment.

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of this update is it wipes all previous saves. You have to delete all your old saves before installing it, if the save games even exist in the same directory it will crash the first time it tries to save due to a missing variable.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014