jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you do, just remember that it's been 2 1/2 years since I made it and I've improved a lot since then :kaopride:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
We have an official thread now for discussion about the sequel. If you have suggestions for things that you'd like to see done differently than they were in The Book of Shadows, or if you wish to share your thoughts or just see the progress so far, hop on over to:

Note that due to work obligations progress will be whatever I can do on the weekend for about 4 months, so it may seem like nothing is happening for a while.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Jackofallops played The Book of Shadows and posted a video of it on youtube. Here is his stream of the first two hours:

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Played your game. Had a blast with the characters. Cedric(the guy who eats a lot) is my favorite.
They all have great personalities though. The story and characters are the best thing about this game
and I think I'll play more of it but offline.

My one little bit of criticism though(what's a game without it?) is things don't follow the Show Not Tell approach.
They are very Tell Not Show. Overexplaining everything. Not leaving anything to the imagination.
Also tutorials for very simple things. That's something I'm not that fond off.

The game itself though is great and as I mention in the first paragraph has very good characters and story.
I was very invested in finding out about the
traitor.
I don't think that's a spoiler as it's in the intro but better to be safe..

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for the feedback! Any chance you could state a way you'd do it instead for one of those early areas, just so I can see it? If you don't mind that is?

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp I'd omit some of the tutorials. Movement and combat tutorials aren't necessary in my opinion. Turn based combat is good in that it self teaches. You'll see the attack command and your brain will pick up what that means before you click it. You'll get curious of the other commands on the next turn and explore the skill and defend commands. I don't remember Final Fantasy games teaching me how the combat worked but I was able to pick it up anyways and Final Fantasy was my discovery of the RPG genre(As well as Lunar 2).

The crystal I'd omit as well. Not everything needs to be explained or have a realistic believable purpose. Some things you see are just "oh a shiny thing, lets see what it does." and is never explained.

The arrow above the character and big houses inside but small outside also probably don't need to be explained but you had fun with those so it's probably funny to keep in the game.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks that helps. I think some must disagree though as I had no tutorial on those originally and that was (one of) the first feedback I got that it should be added. Reasoning I was told was what if your game is someone's first RPG or first RPGMaker game so they don't know the controls for the engine?

Might be a good discussion though for a game mechanics design thread...what should you include a tutorial for? Might be interesting to see if responses are the same as they were when I started this game.

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could put a picture that shows the controls(movement, confirm, cancel, menu) but telling the player what Attack does in my opinion is insulting to the players intelligence.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Something to consider next game then. Still could be a good topic to move to Game Mechanics Design and see what thoughts are on that overall in a general perspective, as I'd be curious too.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was curious about how you'd done your licence so thought I'd have a look. This is what I got.

1592311711789.png

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Weird, that was the link Mediafire gave me. Let's try it again with a new link. I'll update that one too:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I got Hawkzombie to cover it earlier, and a few from here are doing (or have already done) first impressions of the demo.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Argh when sites are less than helping hosting.

Aurabolt

Blasting Off!
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey there all, I'm Aurabolt. I do a few streams when I have the time-and I've had a lot of time recently-doing streams of games I've been interested in, especially user-created content and RPGs.

Yesterday, I did a stream about Book of Shadows, the full version of the game. I shall link the archived video here, and I plan to continue playing this really fun game. I'm more of a "enjoy the ride, appreciate the feel, tactically play" type, so if that interests you, please feel free to come by!

Video (Also has other testing!)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The link didn't post right, but if you click the twitch picture, then go to videos and select the one that says Time to Explore that will load it.

Edit: Ok your fix worked. To others, if you click the link above it will show you his playthrough of the Intro and about half of Chapter 1.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Found a bug, which is almost certainly far to late now to correct, but I mention it because it's the sort of thing that can happen again.

In Tir Koraz, lower section of the town, I took a wrong turn and ended up in the little dead end section
1598647820781.png
See that squirrel? If it gets onto that tile it never moves off it.

I am assuming that there is an event blocking any NPC movement, judging by the movements of the girl outside the fence. What happens is that if I move up or down from the position I'm standing on now, the squirrel will look up, look left, look down. I can make it jig around endlessly - but I cannot get it to look right and maybe therefore move. (Perhaps you've set it to always move away from the player??) I've gone away and made a cup of tea, come back, still there. Gone off and done other things, come back, still there.

My suggestion for a similar situation in the future is that the movement block is never put just beyond a pinch point. If it had been one tile further right, the squirrel would have had 2 tiles to move around in, and would (eventually) have moved away from there, leaving the player room to escape. As it is, the player is condemned to life without parole in that jail.

I made the mistake of thinking that if I saved, closed and reloaded, the squirrel would be back in its original place. Nope. It's in its last place. My previous save file is 4 hours earlier. Not surprisingly, I'm not going back to that one.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for the report. If you send me your save I can get you out of there too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Todo:
Add fog of war
Add enemy indicators
Make window draggable
Optimise map drawing algorithm (5 seconds to load the map you see, so it's a... poo-poo algorithm)

Any suggestions? :kaoblush:
bleh studio hell job haha at least they like it didnt had time to do much laundry tho ;w;'....YES I DO AT LEAST TAKE A SHOWER everyday!
Ami
--- Food Ingredients ---

Hero: Since the Chef are in Hospital,we can't eat his Dish in 3 Days.
F.Mage: What we have to Eat?
M.Healer: Don't worry,we can Eat the Food Ingredients.
Hero & F.Mage
: Really?

(3 Days Later)

Chef: Hi,Guys. I'm Ba---
(Entire Party Collapse After Eat Raw Meat)
Chef: Wha...WHAT GOING ON HERE!!!!!!
So, I've been thinking about all the complaints about the chibi sprites. Is the problem that they're chibi or that they don't match the character art? If I did a series of chibi/SD character art, would people be interested?
Converting a timer plugin from MV to MZ. Now I really start to fell how awesome the new plugin commands are. This really helps create plugin easier than before!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ale_16