jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you do, just remember that it's been 2 1/2 years since I made it and I've improved a lot since then :kaopride:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
We have an official thread now for discussion about the sequel. If you have suggestions for things that you'd like to see done differently than they were in The Book of Shadows, or if you wish to share your thoughts or just see the progress so far, hop on over to:

Note that due to work obligations progress will be whatever I can do on the weekend for about 4 months, so it may seem like nothing is happening for a while.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Jackofallops played The Book of Shadows and posted a video of it on youtube. Here is his stream of the first two hours:

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Played your game. Had a blast with the characters. Cedric(the guy who eats a lot) is my favorite.
They all have great personalities though. The story and characters are the best thing about this game
and I think I'll play more of it but offline.

My one little bit of criticism though(what's a game without it?) is things don't follow the Show Not Tell approach.
They are very Tell Not Show. Overexplaining everything. Not leaving anything to the imagination.
Also tutorials for very simple things. That's something I'm not that fond off.

The game itself though is great and as I mention in the first paragraph has very good characters and story.
I was very invested in finding out about the
traitor.
I don't think that's a spoiler as it's in the intro but better to be safe..

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for the feedback! Any chance you could state a way you'd do it instead for one of those early areas, just so I can see it? If you don't mind that is?

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp I'd omit some of the tutorials. Movement and combat tutorials aren't necessary in my opinion. Turn based combat is good in that it self teaches. You'll see the attack command and your brain will pick up what that means before you click it. You'll get curious of the other commands on the next turn and explore the skill and defend commands. I don't remember Final Fantasy games teaching me how the combat worked but I was able to pick it up anyways and Final Fantasy was my discovery of the RPG genre(As well as Lunar 2).

The crystal I'd omit as well. Not everything needs to be explained or have a realistic believable purpose. Some things you see are just "oh a shiny thing, lets see what it does." and is never explained.

The arrow above the character and big houses inside but small outside also probably don't need to be explained but you had fun with those so it's probably funny to keep in the game.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks that helps. I think some must disagree though as I had no tutorial on those originally and that was (one of) the first feedback I got that it should be added. Reasoning I was told was what if your game is someone's first RPG or first RPGMaker game so they don't know the controls for the engine?

Might be a good discussion though for a game mechanics design thread...what should you include a tutorial for? Might be interesting to see if responses are the same as they were when I started this game.

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could put a picture that shows the controls(movement, confirm, cancel, menu) but telling the player what Attack does in my opinion is insulting to the players intelligence.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Something to consider next game then. Still could be a good topic to move to Game Mechanics Design and see what thoughts are on that overall in a general perspective, as I'd be curious too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My sister is a saint. Specifically Saint Peter. Because shes my best friend until other ppl are around then shes all "nope, dont know him, dont like him."
Making it a rule that I don't do any world building for my new game before the actual gameplay is concrete and working. I have 16 years of lore to work with anyway.
Cheesy power metal makes everything better. No matter what you do, you'll feel heroic doing it.
Starting to really like the first of my madness areas. I think the eyes looking at them really helps to sell the place. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lpfer