The Calm And the Fury: Art Contest

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Lunarea, Dec 17, 2016.

1. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm totally coming out of hiatus to submit an entry for this :D Hopefully I can get all 3 pieces done by the time limit. I love the soundtrack to Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3!

2. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Those are good extracts of music!  They really inspire enough!  I might try touse one to get my mmmm err other work done faster!  (then jump IN)

3. kenibatz

kenibatz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Nice. The demo tracks are brilliant. :)

4. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I assume handdrawn pictures are not allowed? thats the only visual artistic thing im decent at

kaukusaki and Marquise* like this.
  5. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Maybe if scanned?!

6. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

The submission needs to be digital and of the size in the submission rules. But it's up to you whether you want to create the whole thing digitally or not. :)

7. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ooh imma give this a try ??

8. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    yea, but they would need to be edited and cleaned up. And my skill with that is dirt poor

9. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Oddball That's what Photoshop is usually there for!  Weird; it used to be only to make photo touch-ups before graphists and later on many image fields got on this one.  You still can use Gimp too.  :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2016
    kaukusaki likes this.
  10. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure I've actually played a game with music by this composer (and if I did I can't remember the music – which kind of speaks for the composer, with the player not noticing unless paying attention, which I didn't back when I think I might have played a bit of Secret of Mana once) but the theme itself is super interesting. But [insert a lot of excuses why I probably can't enter here]... No, wait. Even if I didn't get beyond the thumbnailing stage, it'd at least be a nice exercise, right? (<-- this is what I tell myself every time I'm about to get nervous merely thinking about entering contests/competitions)

One question about the rules, though: It's only specified that it has to be a "large canvas", but does the final image have to be in a 1:1 ratio? Given that it's for an album cover I'd think that, still wanted to make sure (as I usually prefer working in 2:1, especially when environment ideas pop into my brain like right this moment).

Marquise* likes this.
  11. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That music sounds amazing :D  

Marquise* likes this.
  12. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Uh Oh! Here's competition... @Chiara is here!  Hey Chiara?  I think actually 2000pixels by 2000pixels is the image total. Might not be as strong as scanned at 300 or 600 dpi I am almost certain without DPI mention the ratio is 1:1 by default.  But I too get a wee bit startled by it.  On the other hand, saved as a layered image in .psd format, I guess they can stretch it any ways.  Sometimes it is also cool to get some images as dusty as Bilal's!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2016
    Chiara likes this.
  13. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    These are wonderful. I can't imagine coming up with something that would be worthy enough for this, but I'm certainly looking forward to participating. :)  

14. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

Since the image is going to appear on various banners, capsules etc, that all have different aspect ratios, 1:1 is generally what ends up being most versatile for our needs. You certainly can use a 2:1, as long as the size is 2000px at the shortest side and the focus of the image can fit into a 2000x2000px square.

Chiara and Marquise* like this.
  15. ALTERED STATE ?

ALTERED STATE ? They/Them Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What does "or have the ability to sign any necessary contractual and non-disclosure agreements." mean? (For people under legal age??)

16. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think it means you have permission from the people legally in charge of you.

Marsigne and ALTERED STATE ? like this.
  17. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Lunarea: Thank you for the clarification. :)

18. Tyler Warren

Tyler Warren Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow huge win for RPG Maker getting Hiroki Kikuta to share some of his magic.  Brilliant music, brilliant artist, can't wait to see the pack released and hopefully I can contribute some to the art, will have to enter and see.

Marquise* likes this.
  19. AcerK

AcerK Muse of Ink Member

First Language:
    English
    I can already tell I'm not going to win, but heck, I'll give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen? :)

This music is so inspiring honestly. I didn't know Soul Calibur V's soundtrack was composed by Secret of Mana's composer! That was a neat revelation in and out of itself!

20. Spoopy

Spoopy Web Developer, PHP, NodeJS, RubyOnRails, Sass, HTM Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I know how you feel. I struggle to draw with a graphics tablet, way better with pencil. Best is to scan it, pull it into Inkscape and retrace it in vector for nice clean lines, could even do gradient shading in it or pull the export into Krita/Photoshop/Gimp. Would have liked to enter this comp, but haven't illustrated in almost a decade. Usually freestyle 3D models, which is also fading now since I spend most days doing web programming. Enter the comp, would like to see your work and everyone else's.