The Canadian Life

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Uzuki, Apr 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys, I just wanted to ask a question for my Canadian neighbors to the North: How is life in Canada? I've come to a point in my life where my options on where to live have opened up and to be honest I'm kinda tired of nonsense of the United States. Backwards healthcare system, having to jump through several dozen hoops just to get said healthcare or get anything government related done, failing school system, and various other things. I feel that Canada would be better place for both me and my kid brother. Better Healthcare, Better -and slightly cheaper- options for Collage,  easier hoops to jump through, Mooses. The only big difference that would change is that I would be paying more for video games. Are there any serious draw backs if I moved there? Are the elementary/high schools of decent quality? How often do mooses attack?

2. DamianCastaway

DamianCastaway Notepad++ Warrior Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Free healthcare, a brand new leader of the country who actually knows what hes doing in comparison to our last. High School quality depends on which you go to and Moose attacks are at an all-time low.

The only drawback you might find is the severe -30 degree Celsius(-22 Fahrenheit) to -50 degree Celsius(-58F).

Tax rates are different for each province so you might want to research a little.

We have 15% HST here in Nova Scotia.

(So if you want to buy a $1.50 chocolate bar, you would have to add 15% on top of that making it $1.73(Rounded))

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2016
  3. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    it's depends canada have is own problem itself and it's will be hard for you to lose your USA citizenship for get the canadian one.

even if we have free  healtcare it's not mean you will get free healtcare because it's exclusive to the canadian citizenship.

and it's depends wich province you want to live in Canada, but I guess you will like to live in canada if you are able to bear super cold weather c: 

and the only big advantage is if you move here your money will get double due how low CAD is but the problem you will have with canadian taxe...to pay US taxe :/

4. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    @nio kasgami Dual citizenship is a thing.

Healthcare is great, but doesn't include optical or dental, both of which are crazy bananas expensive (in my opinion).

I don't trust Canada Post with anything anymore. Sending is stupid expensive. Receiving you may not get services you paid for: ie. I paid for tracking but from some sources, Canada Post has recently decided to NOT TRACK THESE WITHIN CANADA. Plus the whole "we don't want to deliver to your home because profits" debacle.

Ordering things online can get expensive if the Canadian dollar falls on hard times, as it has.

School quality varies where you go. I think they're minimum on par with the US (which I consider a tragedy and a failing, to be honest). Colleges tend to be better from what I've heard from friends that live in the US. At least, they are if you can keep up with the material. My friends thought it was crazy that the two year course I took was not a 4 year course.

Moose don't attack unless provoked. They may cause outdoor gym class to become indoor gym class though.

nio kasgami likes this.
  5. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Take a bigger leap, try Europe!!!

6. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hardcore seconding taarna's statement about Canada Post. They are really bad. I get stuff damaged all the time and they've lost several of my grandparents parcels. And the cost just goes up while the service does not get better. If it's something you care about you'll want to ship with one of the more expensive curriers. :/

You'll also want to look at the job scene; it's different in each province. Ontario sucks to find a job. And unless it has changed in recent years, the east coast isnt much better. Here in Alberta it used to be jobs a plenty, but with the oil crashing as it has there has been a lot of lay offs and jobs cutting hours and it's been getting harder and harder to locate employement. Alberta is also a stupidly expensive province, especially the city I am in. We don't have provincial tax but that doesn't do much good when the cost of living is just high to begin with.

can't speak too much in terms of education. Classrooms are too crowded, but I think the states is similar?

talking to a friend in the states about healthcare it sounds like free health care makes for longer waiting times at clinics.

the moose are nice though!! At a distance ;D

oh!! It's stupid expensive to travel by plane too. Especially within the country.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2016
  7. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    The thing with Canada is that it's really at the very least 6 countries in one always fighting amongst themselves (I'm going to say gross generalisations, please don't be offended :S ): British Comlombia, the west, or prairies (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba), Ontario, Quebec, the atlantic provinces (New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, New Found Land, Nova Scotia) and the northern territories. As I see it (and I may be wrong) Canada as a whole is a little better than the US in most social fields but it's still pretty broken. As far as I know, the west is the most conservative and Quebec is the most progressive. Our political system is kinda broken, but not as much as the US still, I guess. One of the few things that has united (most) canadians historical is hating french canadians (and possibly aboriginals too). As someone else said, with our new liberal government things might be looking up a bit, but they still have to prove themselves. In the past they have proved to be quite average, in my opinion. But the previous conservative government was outright disastrous, so average is still progress, I suppose...

Aside from that, things are a bit hard economically right now in Canada because the previous government, backed by the west, made our economy almost exclusively about tar sand oil, a very polluting and costly kind of oil that requires petrol to be quite expensive to be lucrative. With petrol prices being rather low right now and nobody in their right mind wanting a dangerous time-bomb of a pipeline in their backyard, the economy is pretty down. It's especially hard in the west. Although to be fair, petrol exports boost our money's value which generally benefits western oil industry but hinders Quebec's (and possibly Ontario's?) manufacturing industries, so times are maybe less hard towards the east coast.

Anything else I could say is things will likely be very different from one province to another. Healthcare and education, amongst others, are provincial competencies. So it'll vary.

Of course, if you are considering to move to Quebec, you ought to speak french as it's the only unilingual french province. Just sayin'.

Aside from that... the big cities are mostly located along the southern borders and make up for most of the population. You're also pretty unlikely to see mooses unless you go to the zoo or are extremely outdoorsy. I'm medium-low outdoorsy and only saw a moose outside of a zoo once or twice in my almost 30 years life. I'll let you decide if that's a good or a bad thing :p

nio kasgami likes this.
  8. Misaki

Misaki Pikalyze Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Canada varies a lot surprisingly as you go.

Last year in Ontario it was like -40 (Celsius)(lucky me tho, I left the country on vacation during this time) around February. Lafilbuste is correct on 'six countries fighting among themselves in terms of provinces. But weather is relatively 'normal' for the most part.

Taxing is generally higher than that of the US - specifically sales tax. 'Free' healthcare has a cost in a way with these taxes but you'll probably end up paying for someone else's healthcare with the tax money than your own usually. Which in a sense isn't that bad.

Quebec is almost it's own country if you decide to move there. Main cities there will have english-speakers - but as you go farther in to the smaller towns there will be rarely any english speakers.

Elementary/High schools are fairly decent.

If anything - the most serious drawback would probably be trying to move there in the first place.

9. Thalzon

Thalzon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    British Columbia is DA BEST part of Canada. Beautiful mountains, unspoiled forests, the hippest of hipsterism, no snow (just lots of rain), homeless people as far as the eye can see busking and begging for heroin, astronomical housing prices, a disturbing number of hippies and filthy rich folk (as in, they are filthy and live on a boat and smell real bad)...

... Okay, maybe not the best. But having no snow is nice.

Stapleton likes this.
  10. Espon

Espon Lazy Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some surprising facts:

• We don't say 'eh' or 'aboot'
    • Winter does not last the entire year, only 6 months of it
    • Milk doesn't come in bags
    • We don't all own pet beavers (only half of us do)
    • Moose do not enjoy being ridden like horses
    • We may be polite, but people on the road are not
    • No one likes Justin Beiber

captainproton and nio kasgami like this.
  11. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    I approve a lots of what people said

for the fact people hate each other it's mostly French canadian and English Canadian.

and you are wrong Quebec is Billingual it's just our primary language is the french but MOST people know a decent english unless if you go live in the super rural farm place you are sure to meet people with a squary vest and a carabine saying stuff like " com'here d'de to h'nt some boarrrr!" xD

but overall Quebec is really great we just tend to dislike english people. 

the reason is mostly how french canadian got treated by the rest of canada for a long tiem but eh long story.

Now the situation got a little better between french and english canadian.

The only thing to know  if you come to quebec :

• even if you are not speaking french showing that you are making effort for learn it at least a little will gain a lots of respect from other people. It's show you respect us and our way's of living.
    • Never insult Hockey...you are sure to finish stabbed in a dark road >W>
    • if you never ate poutine of your life...you never lived.
    • for some reason supposevly Quebec is the most "friendly" place >w>...but not always sure...
    • poutine, poutine, poutine.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
  12. Makio-Kuta

First Language:
    English

When I lived in Nova Scotia something like 15 years ago, they had milk in a bag, I don't know if that's changed or not. Alberta it's in a jug. And I say 'eh' a lot, but not in the way that is stereotyped. I just replace 'huh' with 'eh' - I feel like the whole 'eh' and 'aboot' accent is just one that is centralized in one area of Canada - though I can't remember which.

13. taarna23

First Language:
    English

It used to (in Saskatchewan)! I remember poking it in the store when I was a kid. I never knew why bagged was an option, and neither did my parents.

Eh only really happens in the stereotypical form, as far as I have seen, in strongly aboriginal areas, at least in my city. Not trying to be racist, here, it's just what I've noticed! I have no idea bout "aboot" though. Newfie (Newfoundlander) maybe? The coastal ones you can barely understand sometimes. o_O;

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
  14. Makio-Kuta

First Language:
    English
    Oh man, the Newfie accent is the best.

15. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    milk come in bag here >w>"

16. taarna23

First Language:
    English

Well, then here it is... the thing everyone is dying to know...

WHY? WHATEVER FOR??

Uzuki and nio kasgami like this.
  17. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    dunno lol we just...get milk in bag xD