ProSuperSchool

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
At first, it's a preemptive of #tactics. Then it becomes a rivalry of #strategy. And next it turns into muscle mental #memories. Then advance into battle of #creativity. And finally...the game goes towards the one whom has more #stamina. And when both are exhausted, whomever is physically and mentally #healthier wins the game. Such is #Chess, the greatest #boardgame ever produced by far, at least, in my opinion.

Welcome to the Chess thread!

Are you playing Chess on regular basis? What got you interested in the boardgame? Are you a Master? National, FIDE, International or Grand master? Do you agree that Chess should be a subject in school? Who's your favourite chess player? Tell us about all things Chess that you have learnt of experienced.

Are you following the Candidates matches?? I'm rooting for Nakamura to duel Magnus :)

Edit: I had to make this thread since the other chess thread is a decade old since its last reply..

Last edited:

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Haven't really played since I first learned how to back in high school. I should get into some online chess, now that I think about it.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have a number of medals and trophies from school tournaments from back in the day.
never got into the theory of it all... I've always been more of an improviser.
you're always conditioned to play the variant that your opponent plays, not the one you open with.

ProSuperSchool

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Sword_of_Dusk maybe it is not that interesting to you if you have tons of video games to play with. You can say I've had some difficulty to split between my PC and PsOne games, and Chess, as a kid.

@gstv87 medals and trophies? Sounds like you have strong grasp at it. I've only become a champion, defeating a state level champion. I haven't studied all the theories about chess where you've gotta know the names of openings, declines, gambits, endgame, variation and so on so forth.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do it mostly for fun and dont really care about the backgrond of all.
I started using chess with DBZ chess (dragonBall) how all pieces
moves and question how to checkmate them.

still do it sometimes on my android for a chess game, challenging,
but I dont really care on winning or losing.

it's a bit of think work, but always fun.

I dont think it's a good thing to learn on school, but option to play
when they have a break of they like it.

2934c37

病気の勝利、私たちの父はすでにイエスがあなたのすべてのために勝っている勝利しています。
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
When we were young, Dad taught us the game. We used it to see who washed the dishes as kids. I mostly lost to the little brother, who was superior. My problem was a move that left me open to my brother. Being mad, I'd feed him the pieces stupidly. Until Chess Master PS1 came out and we played the game like crazy. The music still rings in my head decades later. To this day, I avoid chess altogether as I've had my fun already. Although I always wanted to play a chess game over the mail.
@ProSuperSchool As you explain, Things sound familiar to a point. The things I remember mostly is being able to set the difficulty by percentages 1-100 100 being the chess master. Why does the chess master always look like a dirty homeless person?

Last edited:

ProSuperSchool

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ShadowDragon I see. I am just thinking, if kids and teens are taught how to think critically and creatively, they'd have more repertoire and potential to take on the world. I can't recall which country was it that's gonna introduce chess in school curriculum, was it Russia or German or USA? Can't recall.

@2934c37 For dish washer task decider? Hahahaa. Wait, I once had a PsOne chess game, I can't remember the title. It's like RPG. First you played against students, then teachers, then secretary, like, each character has their own profession. And then finally Champion. If I defeat the champion, I can fight against the Chessmaster that was only available in tutorial of the game. Beating the Chessmaster was so exciting. And then guess what? I'd then unlock a character. A Grandmaster in Blue suits. He was freaking hard to beat. Took me months to beat him. And when I finally beat him, comes another, and the last, character to beat - his name was Touya, and his profession is only Student. I mean, like, wth some shadow Champion as Chessmaster and then Grandmaster, after all through the teachers, secretary, executive and now the last challenge is only a Student? Almost a year went by, and I finally beaten him. It was 2005 I think. Now I lost the disc, I hope to play it again. Do you happen to know what is the title of the game? It runs on PsOne

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
maybe it is not that interesting to you if you have tons of video games to play with. You can say I've had some difficulty to split between my PC and PsOne games, and Chess, as a kid.
I just didn't have anyone around who was interested in chess after I left school, so I gradually kinda forgot about it. Has nothing to do with video games.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ProSuperSchool I dont know the answer either.
but question to think creatively is also something about the person.
as most people are creative alone without doing chess, but also
most people cannot think and believe everything they hear instead
of doing research to see what is true.

creatively people and people that can think out of the box can
reach alot as well (with or without chess game), it depends how they
are taught on school and parents what they learn as well.

but that is only my way of perspective.

2934c37

病気の勝利、私たちの父はすでにイエスがあなたのすべてのために勝っている勝利しています。
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ShadowDragon I see. I am just thinking, if kids and teens are taught how to think critically and creatively, they'd have more repertoire and potential to take on the world. I can't recall which country was it that's gonna introduce chess in school curriculum, was it Russia or German or USA? Can't recall.

@2934c37 For dish washer task decider? Hahahaa. Wait, I once had a PsOne chess game, I can't remember the title. It's like RPG. First you played against students, then teachers, then secretary, like, each character has their own profession. And then finally Champion. If I defeat the champion, I can fight against the Chessmaster that was only available in tutorial of the game. Beating the Chessmaster was so exciting. And then guess what? I'd then unlock a character. A Grandmaster in Blue suits. He was freaking hard to beat. Took me months to beat him. And when I finally beat him, comes another, and the last, character to beat - his name was Touya, and his profession is only Student. I mean, like, wth some shadow Champion as Chessmaster and then Grandmaster, after all through the teachers, secretary, executive and now the last challenge is only a Student? Almost a year went by, and I finally beaten him. It was 2005 I think. Now I lost the disc, I hope to play it again. Do you happen to know what is the title of the game? It runs on PsOne
No, but if anyone can find it. I can. I just played regular game, the only time I beat the chess master was when he stupidly made the wrong opening move. I did the 4 move kill trick.
@ProSuperSchool this is the one I played

Last edited:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I admire the game, but I can't play it. I'm usually sitting there for an hour getting bored before getting utterly clobbered. I think it's a good game, though.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love chess. I also made a chess engine with RPG maker MV. It has some minor bugs, but it almost works as intended. :p I can send you a link if you're interested.

I think chess lessons should be given in schools, but not as a class, but maybe an after school activity. Maybe the basics could be part of a math class.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sounds like you have strong grasp at it.
I have a number of mentions from tournament authorities, for being
a- the player with the most hardcore king ever, as I was being cornered by a knight, bishop, rook and king, and REFUSED to be mated. Referees piled up around us watching the match, as we were the last to leave and people wondered what was going on. I WAS FIGHTING BACK, that's what was happening!
b- the player to deliver the cheesiest Scholar's Mate ever, to a junior master, in a tournament. Neither of us saw it. I just found the gap and played the position, resulting in a Scholar's. The ref who called it was like "Really? ¬.¬ Real f**ing original, man."
c- the only player to mate-in-1 Kasparov's computer, as a spectator. One of the refs was playing it, during a break, and I went "You got a mate in 1! Queen, here." He looked at me like "Whaaa?", checked it, "Damn, you're right!" *boop!*, win. There were a good dozen students watching from the beginning, and nobody saw it.

the youngest grand master EVER at the time, was from my school.

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I used to play in my chess club at school (back in the '90s), still play from time to time, really love the game!

sugarcr4sh

[ typing loudly ]
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I started playing chess ever since I watched the Queen's Gambit and have not been able to stop talking about it since. Genuinely have played every single day TT__TT I've never been in a tournament though!! Would love to be in one but it simultaneously would feel intimidating to go against opponents when I don't even know my own chess ranking lol.
I love chess. I also made a chess engine with RPG maker MV. It has some minor bugs, but it almost works as intended. :p I can send you a link if you're interested.

I think chess lessons should be given in schools, but not as a class, but maybe an after school activity. Maybe the basics could be part of a math class.
PLEASEE send a link, that sounds fantastic!!!!

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I started playing chess ever since I watched the Queen's Gambit and have not been able to stop talking about it since. Genuinely have played every single day TT__TT I've never been in a tournament though!! Would love to be in one but it simultaneously would feel intimidating to go against opponents when I don't even know my own chess ranking lol.

PLEASEE send a link, that sounds fantastic!!!!
Like I said, it is not completely bug free, but here you go!

Please let me know what you think.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It might be a little bit boring and tedious, but building that database of armor, items, weapons and skills are super important.
More words of wisdom: Trying to make everyone happy will just make you miserable.
Ads: "Up to 90% off"
Reality: 9 items at 10% Off, one item at 90% off
if you were working on a rhythm-based retro fighting game, would you rather have the jumps take up two beats (one for jumping, one for landing) or just one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Insaneaphobe