The Cost of a Commercial Project

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by starlord, Aug 26, 2016.

1. starlord

starlord Lead (Emma) Veteran

First Language:
    Taglish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I had this question in mind which is "How much does it cost a person or a group of people to release and produce a commercial project?". I don't have plans to produce one at the moment, but I'm looking forward to doing one in the mere future.

This project includes the following (to be hired) and will work throughout the game's production (from pre production to post production).

HIRED

• A CHARACTER DESIGNER

Will design all the characters. Will provide suggestions and comments on how the character would look like. Will make character concept arts to the final in-game sprite sheets which includes several additional animations. (Average character count with full animation sheets of at least 2 different actions - 5)
    • The one who does the concept art will be different from the pixel artist. 

[*]A MUSIC COMPOSER

• Will compose the music for the game. The game's score (if you'd call it like that) or the bgm. 
    • Game may feature up to 10 full track songs (and maybe a different type of music for each character like what John Williams did in Star Wars)

[*]A TILE SET MAKER

• Will create all the tiles the game will require. 
    • Game may feature up to 20 (?) specific tile sheets (?) 

[*]A PROGRAMMER

• Will write the game's scripts (everything it might require)

PROMOTIONAL

• Release Fees (Is there even such thing?) - includes taxes and everything like the steam fees
    • A Trailer (a 3 minute trailer)
    • Internet Ads

I'm not sure if these are all the elements it might need but please I want to know what those who have released a commercial game felt and experienced. How you did it, how much it cost you to make your game and how much you profited from it. Thanks! :)   (Also, if I missed some things, feel free to comment them below)

2. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's everyone's favorite answer, but it depends! Pricing is always going to depend on a number of variables. Some notable ones being the complexity of technique needed to create, the creator's personal rates/experience/living costs, and licensing agreements just to name a few. If a game is to feature completely commissioned assets of all these types; I'd be prepared to pay at least several thousand dollars and realistically a bit more than that.

OZiO and The Stranger like this.
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Depends on who you hire and how custom you want things. Here are some of the common prices I've seen quoted:

Artist: $10 per sprite or so, $20 - $100 per faceset.

Music: $20 - $100 per minute of music, depending on quality and complexity of music.

Tilesets: $18000 per A - E tileset. And no, that is not a typo, custom tilesets are NOT cheap.

Programmer: Depends. Battle system scripts run $1000+ easy though.

Trailers: I've only seen one person offer to make trailers, and they wanted $2000.

In short, if you want custom everything, you're looking at a 5 or even 6 digit figure I'm afraid.

Missile and beenbaba like this.
  4. beenbaba

beenbaba Slowly getting there Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Exactly as @bgillisp said, if you want to have custom everything, then you need some pretty deep pockets. Remember, the more you spend the more you have to sell to get the return, and unfortunately, you can't guarantee how well your game will sell.

I'd very much advise against fully custom everything unless you can afford it or are capable of doing it yourself. There are plenty of ways to reduce this cost but still maintain a different feel/look to other games.

5. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just looking at the full body art for promo, concepts for the spriter to work off, and in game menu was around $3600 for myself.

Sprites were roughly going to be around $3000.

I hadn't even looked into battle systems or scripters at that point. I started teaching myself parallax mapping but if you don't find a free mapper then that will run pretty high too. 

Of course my game was estimated on almost 100 characters some of them with custom poses.

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've moved this thread to Commercial RPGMaker Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

In that particular forum you will find several other threads discussing the cost of e.g. custom art, so have a hunt round in them for extra opinions and information.

7. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The points you mentioned, I'd say it will cost around $10k-20k and this is a short length project we are talking about..

8. BoredSoul

BoredSoul Probably Drunk Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't make commericals but my musician,art and tiles are already covered for free.

9. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Start with an initial estimate in the $100k-$300k range and go from there.

What you request does sound you recruiting a team to create your game for you, rather than individuals putting their own time and effort into creating a game personally and with commissions to help the progress along. The recruited team scenario is simply way more expensive. There are tweaks in terms of royalties and salaries that can be considered and used to help solve the funding puzzle.

Good luck

*hugs*

- Zeriab

10. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What bgillisp and kyuukon said sounds pretty spot-on. Zeriab's for some, too; especially if you count your own supposed wages.

If you can't do graphics, music, or programming, you should definitely consider learning at least one of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016