RMVXA The Curious Case of Digital Sacrifices

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Ryisunique, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Ryisunique

Ryisunique Detective, AUEI Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The Curious Case of Digital Sacrifices

SECTION A: GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
    • Likely to be quest/gathering based. Evidence, talking to people for information. I might/will be looking into developing a notebook/phone menu option that Alex and CD already have that can be added to during gameplay. (I’m currently thinking something along the lines of an Equip style menu that will be labeled Phone, then get into Calls, Notes, Pictures (That last one I’m unsure off, because would it be a picture of the game or a drawn one?). Alex would have a ‘link’ to the AUEI database while CD might have a separate notes section for his other information.
    • A system that if they don’t know about a problem because they haven’t gathered that specific point, then it could ruin their investigation (and possibly get them killed depending on the game point.)(Say, they don’t know the weakness. Enemy kills them.)
    • Switching between the two will be necessary. Likely with Alex being ignored by a person while CD can talk with them. Or CD, being a civilian, unable to get somewhere off limits while Alex can get in with her badge.

SECTION B: CHARACTERS
    • Detective Alexandra Noir – A detective moderately well placed with the agency, Noir is certified to deal with moderately dangerous inhuman beings along with human threats. She has several years of investigation, first with her now handler Mark Bachus, then by herself before CD ‘joined’ in. Her partnership/friendship with CD is the result of a case two years ago at the game’s time. The knowledge he’s picked up has been invaluable to their investigations, with some drawbacks.
    • CD Ward – CD calls himself an Antiquarian. A fan of older and historic Architecture, electronics and classic cars, he has been living and working with Alex since the case that he doesn’t like mentioning or thinking about. The knowledge that he gained on his way to the results of that case has led him to keep into contact with people and ‘people’ that he met along the way. He knows Alex doesn’t trust what he’s done and what he can do.
    • Doctor Mona Monitar – Leading a team of programmers, engineers and other scientists, they are trying to perfect a Virtual Reality simulator that can keep astronaut minds active during deep hibernation as they travel further out of the solar system and into other areas of the Milky Way. She was the one testing it when the Shadow figure appeared and chased her.
    • Shawn Lansky – one of three programmers, he created the quickly done game that allowed them to test how well their VR simulator was working. However, he’s noticed that someone has changed his programming and several other things about the virtual simulator program during Monitar’s test.

SECTION C: STORYLINE/PLOT
    • The beginning of the game starts with Doctor Mona Monitar, represented as an avatar in a video game designed by Shawn Lansky, the younger programmer monitoring and commenting along side the Doctor as she explores the house to find five riddle pieces that will give her the location of the front door key. Several of the game objects she interacts with indicate someone else has been inside the program, somehow living in it. Shawn, outside the program, sees that his hints have been changed and moved, there’s several new sections added and he’s also noticing the things that Mora has mentioned. He’s locked out of his own editing ability for the game once Mora goes into the new, uncreated by him, section. The front door key he had made to be found in the parents bedroom. Now, it’s been moved into one of three new areas that Shawn didn’t design. This area has evidence of horrible things, but Mona doesn’t dwell on all of it, focusing on finding the key and ending the simulation to get out. In the middle of a ritualistic setting it is, but walking away calls on a shadowy figure that proceeds to chase her until she can get to the front doors and end the simulation.

After the incident, and a disturbing find on the security feed, Doctor Monitar and security request an investigation into the possibility of an individual using their simulation for their own nefarious purposes. Called to the case are Detective Alex Noir and Mr. CD Ward, a competent pair that have been steady growing their successes in the field and climbing higher in danger. The AUEI sends them to the University of Innsmouth to figure out what exactly has happened. Looking into the history of the area, the group surrounding the project and figures roaming the grounds, the two stumble upon someone’s attempt to gain power by using the simulation in junction with magick to hide their illicit activities.

As Alex, you will question and investigate the staff, gather evidence and gain entry into places only one with a badge will be able to enter. As CD, you’ll use skills and small spells to look into the computer software, gather rumors not spoken in front of Alex, and research areas that Alex can’t/won’t touch.

SECTION D: SETTING AND/OR WORLD DEVELOPMENT
    • Set on an Earth within present time, the world shares its place with Lovecraft’s stories, along with general supernatural rules and creatures, other realm beings, magick, dimensional holes, possible aliens and humans. It’s out there, and it’s known. People do know about this stuff, even if it’s not on billboards. It’s hard to keep anything underwraps. There are limits on what people know, similar to that of Intelligence or Government secrets. Rumors abound, about R’yleh, Summarian Magic, Latin incantations. Stories of a friend of a friend of a friend.
    • The Agency for Unnatural Event Investigation, AUEI, was started hundreds of years ago, when people started figuring out about the power in this and other realms and started trying to use it for personal gain and other dark purposes. It used to also indiscriminately kill inhumans when found. Now, with the slight evolve of humans, they’ve been working on keeping the apocalyptic ones and those causing a mess for them down with the Agency’s help. A few have made their way in, becoming detective and agents. Now, they have laws, regulations about how they investigate and work around regular law enforcement.
    • Alex is a detective, which is someone that stays around a certain state or region and investigates possible Unnatural crimes around. Necessary, as certain places have become hot spots for activity. A field agent would travel across countries, or possibly to others, to investigate. Alex was a field agent, until two years ago, on CD’s case. Since then, they’ve stayed around a certain area, Alex switching to Detective and CD becoming certified as a Consultant.

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

DOWNLOAD LINK
    Possibly forthcoming, once I get some things smoothed out.

Edit: Okay, due to previous site being moved, these are uploaded to a different site.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  2. Muffel

Muffel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love detective stories (which is why I still watch Detective Conan) and you have a really nice setup there. Virtual Reality, mysterious being in VR, manipulated code... could be really interesting.
    Your Shadow is really cute lol. I tried to draw something similiar last week
    So even if it's a mysterious being/shadow, like Lovecraft loves them, do you have a background story of it? Like why does it exist and does what it does?
    And what's the lore of CD? How did "it(?)" end up with Alexandra Noir? And what's an Antiquarian?

3. Ryisunique

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Used to watch a few shows when I could. Thank you. Your shadow's awesome. It's related to the manipulated code and someone conjuring beings. I know my culprit, and i know what ze did. I'm just thinking through supernatural creatures that would be useful in ze's endgoal.

CD is a he. A canonical character of Lovecraft's, in fact. The original story had his demise, but adding Alex changed the story and his fate. Antiquarian is some that loves, is fasinated by, or studies old items. The original version of the character was books, genealogy, and buildings. I kept the buildings, but incorporated one of the likes from myself (old electronics is what I grew up on, and fully believe CD would finds his parents' old things) and cars is a given with a lot of people (also myself, but a lot of others today love vintage cars). Genealogy is still a fascination that is now tempered.

4. Muffel

Muffel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ohhh... ok, I googled it. Yea, it makes sense. I thought it was something like a race/alien type of thing because you mentioned that somewhere else. I've never heard or have seen this word before.

Anyway gl & hf with your project. I'm looking forwad to it.

5. mobiusclimber

mobiusclimber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds awesome! I love the mix of detective police procedural type stuff with RPG elements. Kinda like Men in Black mixed with Phoenix Wright mixed with an RPG. Definitely right up my alley.

6. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Images are broken, PLEASE don't use postimg.org :(

7. Ryisunique

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    mobiusclimber likes this.
  8. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sounds a really interesting project, with a lot of potential, but I'm having a hard time with your mapping.
    Take the first one. It has a pink back wall. That pink wall then seems to extend all down both sides, complete with windows. I literally cannot work out what is meant to be going on there. I would have expected the sides to be made with a ceiling tile and cannot imagine under what circumstances they could be the same wall as that at the back.

Could I suggest that you post a couple of maps in the Game and Map Screenshot thread and get some feedback there? One item of feedback will almost certainly be to make those internal maps smaller. You have a lot of wasted space which either you end up filling with junk (see, for example, all those royal bedrooms packed with crates and barrels because the developer couldn't think how else to fill them up) or the player ends up plodding round visually uninteresting empty spaces.

10. Ryisunique

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kes well, I did manage to put small events that allude to something happening in the program, but the player would need to click on a few things to find it. Which they have to do anyway to find the riddles. :kaoswt2: I actually did the crate thing in the attic.

I'll make a small collage of the first parts. Also, I didn't get a notification from you on this thread.