The current most popular version of RPG Maker.

What version of RPG Maker are you currently using for your project?

• Total voters

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Let's have a quick vote, what is the version of RPG Maker that you are currently using for your project? I'm planning to make a tutorial series and want to pick the most popular one as the base for my tutorial.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use MV even though I own MZ too, for 2 reasons:
  1. the project I work on is started in MV and I use lots of plugins made for MV. (Mainly Yanfly plugins and a few others)
  2. I work on an outdated PC and it can not run MZ. The requirements on MV are way lower.

Pixel_Maiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I use MV even though I own MZ too, for 2 reasons:
  1. the project I work on is started in MV and I use lots of plugins made for MV. (Mainly Yanfly plugins and a few others)
  2. I work on an outdated PC and it can not run MZ. The requirements on MV are way lower.
Whats the difference between MV and MZ version?

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Whats the difference between MV and MZ version?
Maybe better ask someone who actually uses MZ. :p the difference I know from the top of my head is 3d animations and layered mapping.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some of your options are for engines not sold by Degica. So if they ended up being the most popular, you would not be able to post a tutorial series about them here.

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Some of your options are for engines not sold by Degica. So if they ended up being the most popular, you would not be able to post a tutorial series about them here.
from the looks of it, it seems extremely unlikely that it will ever happen

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You can get a larger sample size by looking at Steam statistics for each version. It's worth noting that such data neglects people who are using the non-Steam versions of the software, and people who are using Steam versions in offline mode. It also gets muddied a bit by people (like me) who boot up multiple versions of RPG Maker each month, yet only actually use one for primary development. But despite all that, I think that the data is probably still a bit more accurate than what you'll get from a poll in the forum. The people reading the General Lounge section of these particular forums, and who would take the time to respond to such a poll, aren't necessarily representative of the RPG Maker community as a whole.

Here is a pie chart comparing the 4 most popular versions, based on the average users logged into Steam over the past 30 days:

1661060950469.png

Even though MV is more widely used, I'd personally still rather see you use MZ as the base for your tutorial series. MV doesn't really need any more tutorials, and MZ could use the love.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Clarn Hold
(No storylines)
There was a tutorial on how to draw anime eyes. Just draw Among Us. So I tried.
Screenshot_107.jpg
DamageActor3_7.png added!
index.php

Making a "characters first appearance" drawing for my game. Now I just have to finish the sprite art animation for her grand entrance.​
ScreenShot_9_24_2022_7_56_24.png
New area being started today. It leads to one of the games 2 optional bosses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymouss