Yappy Monoxide

The Yappiest Yap Yapp you will ever Yap
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Does anyone have any tips on how to stop procrastinating? 

Yappy Monoxide

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I shouldn't have posted this so late  :rswt:

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok, jokes aside now...about all you can do is force yourself to work on it. I try to make sure (when work isn't getting in the way, like it did this month) to work on it at a set time daily. That usually keeps me going for the most part.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Exactly what @bgillisp said, procrastinating is the act of not working on something so forcing yourself to do something is the counter-measure. Granted its nice when you can put your all into it but still sometimes you got to power through those moments of feeling "meh." Make sure to cut out distractions to; don't leave the tv on if you tend to get lost in an airing program or don't go on the internet if you know you will start getting lost in the rpg maker forum because its so awesome.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You did not just pull out that video. Please tell me you did not just pull out that video. 

wolfpak692

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
i am the king when it comes to procrastination... i just have to force myself to get to it and get it done...

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
*Face palm*

Anyway, yeah, I tend to procrastinate sometimes too. The best way for me is to tell myself "Okay. Just think. Once you get this done, you can do whatever you want without having to worry about that."

RubbyDukky

One of Rem's Many Husbands
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh damn, he did it. He really did it. GG I'm out. I am SO not doing my homework tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

nazgul

Husband
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Thanks for sharing that! Anything Japanese is always better! <3

Yappy Monoxide

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks to the people who gave actual responses!...as for the rest........... I should've seen it coming..

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wow, nothing except "just do it" huh?  That's kind of sad.  Okay, I guess I can help then.

Set Realistic Goals.  It's easy to get excited about doing something, set up time to do it and then waste your time doing nothing because you never made a plan for what to do.  Set goals often, adjust them as needs change and as you get a better understanding of the task in front of you.

Make yourself accountable.  If you know someone is going to be asking you about your progress or expecting you to do something you're much more likely to actually do it.  Procrastination is a way to move the goalpost so that you never actually fail, so by making the goalpost in control of someone else you're a lot less likely to procrastinate.  Instead of a method of avoiding failure, procrastination itself is the failure.  People don't like to fail, so they avoid the procrastination instead.

Break it down.  Oftentimes we procrastinate because we don't fully understand the path to success.  If you think all the way through what you're trying to do, breaking the big goal down into small understandable goals you can stop focusing on the huge task and instead just do the one small manageable task right in front of you.  The overwhelming becomes simple if you break it down far enough.

Take one step.  People have a lot of inertia.  If you haven't started it's hard to get going, and if you've started it's easier to keep going.  So a lot of times when it's hard to start don't worry so much about what needs to be done and just do something so that you've got some forward momentum.  Scribble on the page before drawing, write random words before crafting a story, code hello world before fixing that battle system.  It doesn't have to be good or even something you keep.  It just has to be a start.

Allow yourself to win.  It's very easy to look at your procrastination habits and beat yourself up for them.  You tell yourself that you could have done better or could have been faster if you hadn't wasted your time procrastinating.  But this is a losing cycle.  You end up punishing yourself for successes and only getting the good things when you procrastinate.  Don't taint your successes with guilt.  Own them.  Celebrate them.  And then maybe you'll feel like end results are something to work towards and enjoy instead a punishment to avoid.

Schedule breaks.  I'm not just talking the 15 minute ones to stretch, I'm talking making sure you have time away from your project.  Completely away, no planning, no going over what you did that day, no expectations no nothing.  Keep your work time work time and keep your play time play time.  Allow yourself to really enjoy it, whether or not you feel it's deserved.  If you are consistent about it your subconscious will stop trying so hard to put work in your play time (guilt trips) and play in your work time (procrastination).

Set a timer.  Sometimes, no matter what you do it just seems impossible to get past yourself and do something.  In this case try setting a timer for a short period of time, like 15 minutes, and say to yourself "I only have to work until this timer goes off".  When the end goal is in sight it becomes a little easier to do the things we hate.

Don't lie to yourself.  It's kind of amazing how often we lie to ourselves.  We think "I'll only do this for 10 minutes" then spend an hour on it.  Or we decide that something is out of our control but still beat ourselves up mentally for messing up.  Don't do this.  Try to be as honest as you can with yourself, so that when you have a project and think "this won't take long to do this one thing" we'll believe ourselves and have an easier time starting, instead of going "yeah right, it'll take forever, better get my me time in now."

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with everything Sharm said and I'm glad I do those things too!

In terms of getting in the "zone" to do work I use brain entrainment to help.

Go on the website brain.fm and they have different sounds/music to play for what you're doing. In your case, it would be Focus and then Intense, and set it for 30 mins. See how much work you can get! For me, it changed my game entirely. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

1 million messages is approaching. The end is near! M1M is like Y2K, but forum based. It's a bug that's gonna delete all attachments when we hit 1 mil messages. At least with Y2K we had warning....
If you manage to make a game that people play for hours, then reminding them to take a break gives that “This game cares about me” feeling and also lowers chance of burnout with your game.
Well... things are slow. I'm still waiting to get called back into my position, but I do have some time to design my games.
Suddenly wanna hear this ...
The best way to end your day? Cuddle your kitten! :LZSproud:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baltair