Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by jonathan4210, Oct 21, 2016.
How to you Destroy the Spikes in the Volcanic Core?
If you're talking about the first map of the dungeon, there's another pathway.
Hey guys, so this has been posted for awhile, and I got more downloads and attention than I expected, which is great . However, I haven't been getting any comments or feedback based on how people think of the game. I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts on the game, and maybe how to improve it, regarding gameplay balance and additional content perhaps.
Thanks again for playing
Great news! It appears that some footage of my game has been uploaded to youtube by the channel, Unlimited GamePlays. This channel has uploaded the introduction, along with the first few levels of the game. So, if you want to see how the gameplay is, check out these links below:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiTuZLrWWbc
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsq4G6glb-8
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlGYlZ1FiCE
Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SV4s6nk10w
Part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAT6soraraA
Again, the videos themselves are not mine. They belong to Unlimited GamePlays.
I ended up dropping the game due to a certain point being unpleasant. tho if you just want to complete the game it isn't as bad.
the story and characters were bad-okay. i liked some of the villains more then anyone on your side.
what made this stand out for me were the fantastic cut scenes,good grammar and battle system.
few rpg maker games use a live action system and out of those less do it in a way that feels comfortable and fluid.
surprisingly this pulled it off. and really well.
also some of the puzzles in game were well made. nothing that was particularly hard to figure out.
while there were things i did not enjoy. i would definitely recommend this.
and something else that some may not really think about is in the first level of the game with wolfs and bears.
you are pretty much told to avoid the bears unless you have a ranged weapon.
it might not be much but putting a bear on a bridge was a great move. to me it was telling the player
that there will be tough enemies in the future and you cannot avoid them. you have to get strong enough to overcome these challenges.
and this point was further driven by the cave of treasures which is available at the start of the game.
a end game difficulty level area to show you how week you are. and what you could obtain through time and effort.
Spoiler: Random thoughts
You start the game as a baby! priceless!
wow that prologue was epic. impressive cut scenes!
time travel makes story telling pretty much impossible to believe or write well.
E.G Ragnarok can freely create portals to travel to the future and past.
since he can do this he could simply go to the past to deal with the traitor angel before she betrayed him.
or just go back before the older brother was corrupted.
time travel allows easy flaws in logic to be in a story. due to this the story automatically becomes bad.
after you finish the training the story wants you to speak to the king. but you can go to the world map and skip it.
i like how your sprite has a breathing animation. small details like this you don't see in most games on these engines.
the world map is beautiful! i love the custom look! also the ship sprite looks great!
have not seen that before!
the gambling system is impressive!
i don't like the assassin chase part. it lasts too long.
i don't understand how jason who grew up in modern times can even attempt to justify the kings actions.
clearly being the ruler who as lenny told jason several times. was the person who told the gold knight to kill them.
is just as guilty if not more so.
it;'s just stupid at that point that jason would be so obsessed with protecting the king just because he is his father who until recently he didn't even know existed...at this point i no longer want to play as jason.
new work is too big without being able to use a car to go faster. since a lot of it is pointless.
it did not make any sense that the king sparred the barbarians life. he should of executed him.
a murder being executed makes sense! he even said himself he executes murders! and he killed a lot of people!
i didn't like the Underground mine. especially since when you go back in the puzzles to give you light are reset.
also i could not find one of the 3 switches there. for the bounty 6
after the part where the illusionist runs away from you. you spawn back at your home but your mom isn't in her bed anymore.
increasing the dealers level is suppose to increase the chance you get items. but it doesn't seem to be the case.
the tiers for weapons aren't completely balanced. 1 example "wristguard of the wicked" is a tier for bracelet.
and it's weaker then "The elite" which is a T2 bracelet.
another example flawless Topaz tier3 is way better then perfect Topaz Tier 4
the transient one is suppose to have higher intelligence then a normal human but jason is pretty stupid some times.
i really hate jason...he is such a hypocrite...
the game says got when it should say lost. (like when you pay gold or use a key in the desert stage)
when ragnarok was refusing to go with the enemy. jason remembered the training with the bunnys which led to to make a decision.
this was good but gets ruined when shortly after he forgets this and the commander of the soldiers in the 21st century has to give him a lecture...mind you jason is suppose to be smarter then a regular human and again he failed to show this.
his brother is already killing massive amounts of people and no one can stop him...so jason saying he is worried he would put people at risk. when they already are. does not make sense.
the newyork war is one of the worst parts of the game...you can get 1 hit killed if you make a mistake and you cannot save.
and have to watch the cut scenes and stuff all over again. tho it is easy if you are careful.
and why does jason not use his bandana so he doesn't die in 1 hit?
how did the guy who gave you the bountys for dread tower even know what was there? it's in a different dimension!
even if you say he asked the seers or what ever they were called. it still does not amke sense that you would get a monster hunt since the Arch demon isn't coming to your home.
i really do not like the instant death portals in death tower.
i dropped the game because of this. it got tiring redoing the area several times.
i did find the save crystal but since i wanted to get all the collectables it made it annoying to achieve it.
it isn't necessary but i do not think the colors of item icons is ever expalined. obviously they are related to rarity.
just a thought
First off, thank you for your comments and feedback on the game ! It really helps me improve my future game ideas, and I always want to know what others think. I'm glad that you took the time to play the game, and would even recommend it to others. I do agree on some of your constructive criticism. However, some of your points do seem a bit too harsh, in my opinion. But maybe I'm just not getting your whole point, so I would like to address some of your points, mostly from your random thoughts (so I'll put spoiler tags for those):
Ya, the villains were definitely made to be very interesting characters. But without spoilers, I'm sure you will know which one I'm talking about, but one of them, for example, was meant to be a sympathetic villain. So while he is evil, I wanted the player to see his past struggles in life, so what decisions would a hero make towards that villain.
Also I'm glad you noticed the bear on the bridge! Yes, I placed it there as a warning for whats to come, so grabbing that bow was more encouraged. And yeah, the cave of treasures is an area to show players how weak you are in the beginning, but how powerful you can become towards the end. Glad you noticed that too! Now, onto the spoilers:
Spoiler: Based on your random thoughts
1) I do agree that time travel in stories are pretty much impossible to avoid plotholes, but I tried to make this a fun adventure between both worlds and facing conflicts while avoiding as much plotholes as I can. Saying stories based on time travel are automatically bad, well, I find that a bit too harsh. Some stories that use time travel can still give players/viewers an enjoyable time, but if that's how you felt, sorry to hear that
2) Yeah you can go to the world map before talking to the king. But you can't do anything else without talking to him, and the world map even indicates that you have an uncompleted task to do in the castle via a pointer. So it's like, have fun exploring, but you can't advance without visiting the king.
3) Jason felt close to his father cause as he said, he never felt a connection with his real family as he grew up in the modern times. So him getting that moment felt like an opportunity. But I get your point. Maybe I pushed it a bit too far.
4) The mom just woke up and went back to doing chores.
5) The dealer's level does indeed help get items, but its not by much. RNG still plays a huge role. Maybe you were just unlucky.
6) Tiers are balanced. You aren't noticing the colors around items. That shows their rarity. As described by the dealer, purple is legendary. So a Tier 3 legendary would obviously be better than a Tier 4 gray item. Tier and rarity play a part in this. Legendary is explained, but you're right that the rest isn't explained. I didn't wanna shove too much info to the player, so I left it as a "you will see a pattern and their value as you go" kind of thing. The weaponsmiths, armorsmiths, and dealers already give a good chunk of info. So without cramming too much, I didn't know where to explain the rarities, and I figured "well, it's a thing players will see anyways".
7) Jason is a character that struggles to make decisions as a hero, but he becomes more mature towards the end. From taking his adventure as a joke, to taking the world's fate very seriously. He tries to be as ethical as he can towards the end when he faces tough choices. If you still hate him, well, can't say you're wrong . That's your opinion.
8) It says Got -XX gold or keys, but you're right. I could've easily programmed a "Lost" label. Good catch!
9) The reason why you have to start the whole sequence over in the new york war was cause that whole sequence plays out as "the" challenge. It would feel weird that if you die, then you respawn halfway throughout the war. I get that it's still weird to start over, but as you said, its easy if you're careful. Saying though that that was the worst part of the game just cause of that? I find that harsh, but I'll take it. And Jason remained vulnerable cause he was afraid of using his powers in his hometown. He wanted to try to save the town just as effectively without powers. I can see your point on why that may be stupid though. Still, Jason took the cautious way.
10) The bounty on dread tower...you got me there lol. But it could be that the bounty giver's story is based on the famous "myth", like "oh this place doesn't exist. But if you manage to prove me wrong and show me you killed the Arch, I'll give you this much gold". I guess? Idk lol.
11) Dread Tower is more like a memory type dungeon. It's all about trial and error. I do admit maybe trying to go back to complete the bounties were too harsh. Maybe I should scrap those or make their rewards more worthwhile. But I'm sad that you decided to quit the game there, especially since you did beat it (finding the save point). You're gonna miss out on the last boss and ending . Oh well...
Again, thanks for your time! I really appreciate your feedback
I'll do my best to explain this as simple as possible.
What is the song that plays during the sequence when the four Marcus duplicates circle around you and his heads appear and fly around the screen (It's with Jason's encounter with Marcus in the Tribe's village)? I've been wondering about what the song's title is.
Separate names with a comma.