Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
The Ethereal Protagonists

A Temporary Project Code Name​

For a short game I'm planning to add some ethereal status that's similar to the hidden one already provided by the Maker.

The main difference would be that I'd let the hero or monster attack but every other turn or till they've accumulated enough mana or ether or the like. So guys, have you got any other ideas on what to add to this ethereal status and related features?

I really wanna implement something relatively different to the typical kind of games I usually play. Gamer
Yeah, it's still a turn based battle system anyway. :p At first it'll look just like the default one until I manage to slowly change its GUI.

I know it's supposed to be my job to come up with these mechanics but I'm feeling like I've got stuck here. :aswt:

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
funny..... I just started playing Invisible, inc. which is about spies and hackers.... and there's their AI called Incognita.
every level has a number of challenges you have to defeat or evade, and sometimes they'd be out of reach for your characters, but if you have line of sight to them (namely, a computer, a camera, a door, or any kind of electronics) you can use Incognita to hack them remotely.
and, every time you hack something manually, you get power for Incognita.
additionally, there's a character who can hack things remotely at a certain distance, and it counts as manual hacking.
I've only played a couple levels, but there's like 10 options for Incognita, and a dozen characters to unlock, so I'm sure it can get really weird in combinations.
check out a playthrough in youtube.... Incognita is definitely that ethereal factor.

World In Conflict is another example.
you don't have a max number of units to deploy, you have *points*.
every match is played with a number of points (10k, 20, 50, etc) and each unit costs more or less points, and the total number and composition of your army depends on how you distribute those points.
when a unit dies, their points value go back to the pile, and is replenished over time, so managing the replenishing time is a thing.
additionally, you can use those points to call in off-map help such as air strikes, armor units, or snipers.
the point pile and the HQ support is your ethereal player: you can pick the air division and play with only helicopters on the map, and collect points to bring in light armor and infantry to your side, to help in capturing sites, which the helicopters can't do.

Last edited:

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
o_O
How exactly? Plus I mentioned it's turn based and it doesn't include any sort of ARPG elements so you got me extremely confused here...

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
simple: separate the action in player actions and off-board actions.
make each off-board action cost resources, and each in-board action *yield* resources.
start by playing with in-board actions, and every time you need something that'd usually take more than one or two in-board actions to complete, call it an off-board action and put a price on it.

whatever you name this off-board factor, is up to you.

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
And how exactly is this a battle oriented feature?

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
it's not only battle-oriented.
if you do it right, you can make it a plot device: make a situation where there's no external help available, make another situation where there's extra help available, vary the types of help available depending on the situation.
you can make a lot of story revolve around it, not just battle actions.

it all boils down to a pile of resources that need to be replenished and spent.
whatever face you put on it, it's up to you.

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I'm sorry but I'm only looking for battle features here. Plus I can't see how it'd fit in my game anyway.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
it's *a pile of points, that gets updated on character action, increased on actor action, and decreased on player action*!
that's the premise! ¬.¬
you need the variable, a link to the players actions, and a set of skills to use!
basic systems design: event, object, and stack.
on *event*, update *stack*, and use *object*.

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Nope... I'm sorry but I prefer to get the thread closed. This looked a bit like propaganda rather than ideas. It's clear I've never played that game and I still can't see any direct connection to what I wanted to discuss here.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Closed at OP's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Say, does anyone know any other indie game development forums? Progress on my uni survey has been a little slow, so I wanna look into posting it around a bit more.
Due to the bullies' resurgence on Facebook and Twitter against my friend (and I since I defend), we've decided to move over to tumblr to try to obscure our presence, where we might finally be at peace working on games. If anyone wants my/our game's tumblrs to follow lmk. :kaojoy:
Is there anyone need help with anything except art and music?
is Gotcha Gotcha Games Inc. = KADOKAWA CORPORATION? I haven't found this topic yet, Want to know for credits on my game. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uniteditcare