The Farming One [Finished!]

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Polite Whale, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Polite Whale

Polite Whale A newer and bigger whale! Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It seems that you just bought a new farm. Congratulations! It’s located right next to a town whose people fled from a group of bandits. Bring them back by assuming your place in the capitalism world and buying stuff to help you buy more stuff! What a round business!

[​IMG]
    The Farming One is a fast paced farming simulation game, with barely any farming or simulation at all. While starting with an eternally growing patch of radishes that you can harvest over and over again, you’ll get enough money to buy more crops, hire assistants, acquire tools and investing in the maintenance of the town, making it flourish with people again.

Soon enough, you’ll be chopping for lumber, fishing, mining, participating into festivals, going into business ventures, purchasing animals, getting married, and more! If that sounds pretty standard, consider that you can do all that within minutes. You’ll go from rich to poor and back in a blink of an eye!
    But beware. Bandits have taken a liking to your business, and will hunt you down when you’re alone. How long are you going to take their bullying?

The Farm One takes the idea of Harvest Moon and mixes it with an incremental nature found in games like Little Inferno and A Dark Room, where buying stuff eventually gives you money to buy more stuff. There are so many activities to do while you wait for your money to pile!

[​IMG]
    • A farming system so fast and baffling that it will hook you.
    • You can play the game as either a boy or a girl. Neither gender locks any feature of the game!
    • Leave the farming to someone else! Go explore the town while your assistants do your work. But you’ll have to hire them first.
    • While farming nets you money, go fish, chop trees, mine ores, talk with the people, and so on.
    • Participate in the shortest festivals you've ever seen. Why would you? To get unique items and experiences, of course! There’s also money to be found, yes?
    • Mining will give you money and ores, which can unlock special stuff.
    • You can get skulls and keys at the festival. But what are these for? I wonder…
    • It wouldn't be a pseudo-farming simulator without marriage, right? But the girls are gone, so you’ll have to make them come back!
    • Why bother with remembering who likes what? The gift shop person knows them well, so you’ll always get the best gift. Guaranteed!
    • Full your house with furniture, including a television, gaming console, and a computer, which you can ALSO use for money!
    [​IMG]

Note: All the following images are work in progress and are going to look at least slightly better on the final version! We promise!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    25 days after we started the project, we are proud to announce that the project is finally complete, and hopefully free of any major bugs (if you end up finding some, please report it as soon as possible so we can fix it while there is still time!). We are proud of the overall look and feel of the project and we hope the people who still haven't played it, as well as the judges appreciate it and, most importantly, are able to have fun with it.
     ​

[​IMG]
    Of course, we can't just bring back the townsfolk with just the help of one farmer right? Well then, for you to help show your dedication and love to the farm life, here are a few signature type things for you use and help us recruit even more farmers! The more gold the farmers get, the better it is, right?

Small Logo:

[​IMG]
    Userbar:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #Team2Words:
    Jorge "Aamelo"
    "Memoski" Sanchez

Engines, Graphics and Music
    RPG Maker VX ACE Copyright© 2012 ENTERBRAIN, INC./YOJI OJIMA, Distributed by: Degica
    RPG Maker XP Copyright© 2005 ENTERBRAIN, INC./YOJI OJIMA, Distributed by: Degica
    Rural Tiles Copyright© 2014 ENTERBRAIN, INC; Artist Celianna.
    Game Character Creator Hub 2.0. Copyright © 2012-2014 Sébastien Bini

Fonts
    Logo Font - Lucé Avérous's TrashHand
    InGame Text - Liberation Sans

Additional Scripts
    Erics's "Total Time Played" Script v1.2
    Yanfly's Engine Ace - Parallax Lock v1.00
    Yanfly's Engine Ace - Ace Message System v1.05
    Seer UK's Fixed Pictures v1.2

Thank You! If you have any suggestions or comments fell free to leave them in the replies!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
    Volis, Idril, ThatTurtle and 5 others like this.
  2. PheonixDeath1

PheonixDeath1 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Nice

Polite Whale likes this.
  3. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    lol. this looks amusing!

Polite Whale likes this.
  4. pErijoy

pErijoy A Sylvan Deity~ Member

First Language:
    English
    Looks interesting! I'll be on the lookout

Polite Whale likes this.
  5. lemongreen

lemongreen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'll have to remember this one for my little sister (she's a huge Harvest Moon fan) Still, looks interesting; I might give it a try when it's done as well.

Polite Whale likes this.
  6. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yaaay, a farming game!

Question though; why not use the sprites provided with the resource pack? RTP characters don't really match this tileset.

Polite Whale likes this.
  7. Memoski

Memoski Iron 'moski Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hey. I'm the co-creator of The Farming One, and decided not to leave Aamelo doing all the PR work :v

Nice to meet you all, and thanks for the comments so far. They've really given us more energy to work with this. (Well, I can't talk for Aamelo, but I do feel pumped up.).

@Celianna: We have not considered the clash of styles so far. At least, I thought that they could fit. And since there's the Character Hub thing that has allowed us to make a lot more characters to fit different purposes, we decided to go with those. At this point, we don't have the time nor skills to make or edit the specific characters that this project would need (like the bandits, the cat girl and the kappa. Considering an alchemist and a bit more if we've got the time). While there's a lot of characters to use on the Rural set, it's still not enough for what we've got in mind. The tools animations are great, and we're missing on them, so we're having to get a bit creative on our gameplay.

Personally, I believe that the RTP sprites can also work since they're not as serious as the Rural sprites. If we were to focus on simulation, the Rural ones would be fantastic, but we're trying to come up with some unnatural ideas here and there (while it was a placeholder, I did grow fond to the eye assistant :I).

Still, we'll have to discuss this, and try to go with the idea that we believe fits this project the best. Thanks for the feedback!

Polite Whale likes this.
  8. Polite Whale

First Language:
    Portuguese
    And that was Memoski.

Anyways, in order to spice things up in the thread, we decided to go one for a Daily Screenshot every day (that's why it's called daily, isn't it?) we have something decent to show up, and we will try to always do it. Check back every approximate 24 hours for your farming hour!

Anyways, one of the thing that has been worked on today were the animals, and by that we mean chickens and cows. Whats so special about them you may wonder? They give you the fastest eggs and milk in the whole farming market, guaranteed! No need to wait multiple days to get your own guaranteed set of fresh eggs. No way, instead you get your very own set of eggs and milk every single minute!

[​IMG]

And that is today's screenshot. Animals are just one of the upgrades you can get as time goes on and as money piles up, but there will be more ways to do it. We are still up for feedback and suggestions, so keep up those coming if you have them (we will send a goat to haunt you in your dreams if you don't).

estriole likes this.
  9. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Actually, I think the RTP fits kind of well with the art style. Maybe not the RTP chests, but certainly the chibi style of the characters complements the cute style of the game. I know you put a lot of hard work into the characters, but the RTP characters have a certain charm to them sometimes too.

Edit: Oh, and this game also looks really cool and different. I hope you have enough time to flesh out the farming mechanics, etc. It's hard to make a farming game in one hour, but if you can pull it off with aplomb, then you're a champ. High-risk job, though. Hope you do well!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
    Polite Whale likes this.
  10. Memoski

First Language:
    Spanish
    @CashmereCat: We're considering the options and try to work with what we've got in hand. We may be able to change the chest for something more fitting, and we'll try to prevent as much clashing as possible.

And yeah, that 1-hour restriction is tricky, but we actually saw it as an opportunity to tweak the known farming simulation genre into a more fast-paced direction. While at first glance it looks watered down, it still has (or will have) everything that people love from Harvest Moon and Rune Factory. Harvesting crops, animals, participating in festivals and marriage.

Thanks once again! 

11. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Cool. I can't wait to harvest crops, take care of animals, participate in festival and marry my dream girl all in the space of an hour.

Polite Whale likes this.
  12. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ahh, I see, you don't own the version with the sprite generator. If you bought from our store on RPGMakerweb.com, you get a spriteset generator as a perk and create your own sprites. Just some food for thought if you really want to create your own sprites!

Polite Whale likes this.
  13. Memoski

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Celianna Since we both bought the Humble Bundle versions (Steam ones), we had no idea that the Rural Tiles of the store came with a character creator exclusive to it (and a Google search didn't get any screenshots or videos of it). Sadly, we are slightly off budget at the moment, and buying the package again just for the creator would be stretching it. For the moment, we'll have to work with the resources that we've got available.

However, thanks for telling us about it, and we'll reconsider it if the situation changes and calls for it.

Polite Whale likes this.
  14. RadiantCadenza

RadiantCadenza Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Huh, the shop version has a whole character generator and the bundle one doesn't? 

That's kinda disapointing. I mean, I get that the whole bundle costed less than the farm pack alone, so it's ultimately still fair that the bundle one is less featured, but it wasn't advertised as such. Most of the other "stripped" down packs in the bundle were noted to be "Samplers" and "previews" and such, but I had the impression the farm tiles was the full thing. Though, I didn't know the character generator existed in the first place, so I guess I can't claim retro-active disappointment. 

Eh, back to the actual topic on hand,

One suggestion that comes to mind for possibly making the RTP fit better, is to play with the color palette a bit. Upping the saturation just a tad might make it blend better with the bright and cheery cartoon-ish look of the farm pack. 

15. Polite Whale

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Thanks for suggesting that. At first when we started working on with the Rural Tiles the first time we also shared the thought that they were too bright and decided to tone the tileset down a bit: it may not look like it because for some reason my current image editor is exporting the images with way too much bright than it actually should, but we will still try to bright down the tiles a bit, or tone up the colors in the sprite up in order for it to look better.

It's been almost 24 hours since my last post, and you know what that means. It's time for another daily update of course! What do we got in store today?

Well, today, other than doing some balancing on upgrades and regarding the fishing rod, one of the things that was mostly worked on were the mines. What is so special about the mines other than it being a bunch of rocks? Well, the first thing is that between those bunch of rocks that you can mine for money, there are special rocks: your classic harvesting simulator ores! Except this time, only Copper, Gold a brand new ore we came up with called Harvestium will be around as you explore the three floors of these small mines while you hunt for you delicious cash!

[​IMG]

The mine won't be just about mining materials to get some nifty second-class tool upgrades though. We've got some sweet plans for the third floor of the mine and we hope to have enough time to implement it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  16. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @RadiantCadenza: The bundled one is the full pack, there's no false advertising going on. The character file is an exclusive bonus if you buy from this site, that's why it's different. In fact the only place that the character generator is mentioned is on the store page where it clearly states it's an exclusive bonus.

PheonixDeath1 likes this.
  17. The Prince of Sarcasm

The Prince of Sarcasm Prince of sarcasm Veteran

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    This looks intersting, If you need playtester i'd be happy to apply.

18. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just noticed the NON-RPG tab in your OP.

Are you putting this into the NON-RPG Category?

Doesnt this class as an RPG ?

I mean, you take on the role of a farmer after all ;)

19. PheonixDeath1

PheonixDeath1 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The rpg genre usually consists of like leveling up and stuff and quests and monster battles...

By your logic galaga is an rpg cause your taking on the role of a space fighter pilot

20. Memoski

First Language:
    Spanish
    @The Prince of Sarcasm We haven’t discussed a testing session yet, nor who or how many people will be able to participate. We’ll be sure to notify you if the situation calls for it. Thanks for the support!

@Dekita It’s complicated. While you are indeed a farmer, you don’t get truly immersed in the farmer’s life. If you were playing the role of a farmer, you would understand that the crops and the animals are under your control.

In here, you keep jumping from project to project, crops be darned. It ultimately becomes a big multi-tasking oriented game where you keep finding stuff to do, possibly ignoring the fact that you’re a farmer at all if you desire. Rather than an RPG, I’d consider it an exploration game with incremental elements. Instead of exploring places, you’re exploring features.

At least, that’s my take. Aamelo is the one that chose the tags, not me :V *blame shifting completed*

?????? likes this.