The feature that should be baked into RPG Maker by now is ...

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Finish the title sentence. You are not limited to just one feature. Provide as many as you like. This thread isn't so much a general wishlist of your wildest and craziest ideas. It should be reserved more for the simple things that really should just come with RPG Maker right out of the box.

So don't say, "Support for 3D" or "A tactical battle system" because I think most of us realize that those are not small features they could easily add to make our game dev lives easier. That's basically a brand new product. Think smaller features that always have you scratching your head and wondering, "Why don't they just add that? It would be super easy. I shouldn't have to add a plugin for this into just about every game I make".

That's what I want to discuss in this thread. Here's a few to get the ball rolling.

1. Region tie-ins: They added the region tile layer a long time ago but basically just tied it to random encounters, something that a lot of devs don't even use. Region Common Events and Region Restrictions are two obvious things that I pretty much always include plugins for. I'm sure there are several other things that they could do with these out of the box.

2. Start in full-screen: Most games aren't played in a small window. They go full screen when you fire them up. At least there's the F4 key to go full screen but most players aren't going to know that this exists. I feel like there should be a setting in the Options section of the game to toggle this on and off, and also an editor option to say if your game should launch in full screen from the start.

3. Single actor auto-select: When there's only one actor in the party, there's no reason to have me go through the actor select menu when using an item or skill. There's no choice to make.

If MZ didn't add support for changing the game's resolution, that would have been on my list for sure. I'm glad we finally got that. There's a lot more things I could say but I'll stop there.

I want to know your thoughts on this topic.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Built in sprite editor/animator kinda of like in the PS1 RPG Maker - basically just more control over graphical assets in general tbh? Instead of having to run around grabbing and learning 2-3 gfx programs. Also the ability to help lay out sprite sheets. Is that too large?

More control over UI elements and placements would be nice too. "Hey buy this game making thing but oh if you want your game to look totally different then also buy this add on" is just big nope to me.

You added the others I was thinking of when I saw the title. (single-actor auto-select and region tie-ins)

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Going old-school? Being able to pull open the sound test menu from a button in the database, like they had in RM2k. Nowadays (at least for VX Ace), you have to close the database if you wanted to listen to music.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
One thing I would add is user event commands. Like the ability to add buttons to the event command list and define the code that gets called when it's executed, so if there's a quick thing you want to script that you're going to use a lot you have a convenient way to stick it in an event rather than having to copy over the same script every time.

D.L. Yomegami

Sanely Insane
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'd very much like the option to select more than one option for enemy action pattern conditions (like being able to select both Turn X + X and HP in a certain range rather than one or the other). XP did this, and it'd make things so much simpler rather than having to fudge with troop events and switches (or plugins).

In a similar vein, 2000 + 2003 had the option for enemies to turn switches on after they attack. It'd be nice to have that back too, or maybe even expanded on by being able to change variables or run common events.

And finally it'd be nice to have troop events be run at the end of an action, as opposed to just turns or on a moment by moment basis. As it stands, to do this you'd need to attach a comment event to every single skill in the database just to have things happen on a per action basis (which shuts the door on having a common event unique to an individual skill).

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One thing I would add is user event commands. Like the ability to add buttons to the event command list and define the code that gets called when it's executed, so if there's a quick thing you want to script that you're going to use a lot you have a convenient way to stick it in an event rather than having to copy over the same script every time.

Unless I misunderstood what you mean, isn't that just common events?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Unless I misunderstood what you mean, isn't that just common events?
I mean technically, yeah, but common events require a common event slot. It would be cool if you could just define your own event command buttons that you can click directly from the event editor, which don't take up a database slot.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
logical combinators for event activation.
switch 1 AND/OR/NOT switch 2, instead of "switch 1 ON *AND* switch 2 ON".
what if I want to forcibly trigger an event at "switch 1 OR switch 2"?
what if I want 3 or more switches to be on?

which don't take up a database slot.
events still take up space in the map file itself.
at the database or at the map file, you're still writing to disk.

Last edited:

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Resolution and tile size. Yes, the second requires different tilesets, but as part of the engine those two things only require two numbers each (and technically only one for tiles sets since those should be squares). That's probably the simplest add on that helps not just game makers but also graphic artists. And lets you do things like make a game using (say) rm2k's graphics with later upgrades like the damage formula.

Empty controller buttons. And probably keyboard, too. Not only does this give the dev more things to let a player do by just a button press, but it can also allow an option for easily letting the player change around what buttons they are comfortable using. If possible, also add a button press to activate common events.

Save Project button in the Database. Yeah, I can just close it, save, and reopen, but it would be a massive QoL feature to be able to save before a battle test and sometimes we forget to save after changing plugins and before going into the database.

I feel like the first and third are easy, the second might be crazier than I think.

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Non-tile-based movement (like pixel movement + leveraging the sticks on controllers), because we may draw with tile-based maps, but the movement doesn't have to be, too.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Also the ability to help lay out sprite sheets. Is that too large?
Considering that sprite sheets have a very specific format that needs to be followed in most cases, no that's not out of scope for this discussion. Even if this was just a debugging tool that you could use to load up a sprite sheet, tell it what kind of sprite sheet it was and it would overlay partition lines and put labels on the squares to tell you what images go where, that would be very helpful.

They could continue to expand from there if they wanted. A tile sheet constructor would be super helpful considering that auto-tiles have to go in certain places and there's no way to know if they fit together perfectly without trial and error. Definitely a larger feature. Not one that's going to make it into an MZ update but later versions will inevitably add a few big features that are useful.

Non-tile-based movement (like pixel movement + leveraging the sticks on controllers), because we may draw with tile-based maps, but the movement doesn't have to be, too.
Pixel movement would be tough because of move routes. A pseudo-pixel movement system where movement is broken into 3 subsections per tile might be doable, though. It would just have to center the sprite before starting a move route.

Last edited:

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Pixel movement would be tough because of move routes. A pseudo-pixel movement system where movement is broken into 3 subsections per tile might be doable, though. It would just have to center the sprite before starting a move route.
Though I'm no wizard in RPG Maker MZ's core scripts, I've put together enough detail to build a relatively functional ABS for MZ. However, I've spent days if not weeks sifting through and tweaking/modifying the core scripts of MZ in an effort to do exactly that: literally just divide the distance in half per step. No dice.

I've written this sentence like 12 times, and every time it turns into a rant about bad MZ core scripts code design, so I'll leave it at that. (frustrating)

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Jragyn
See if Galv ported over his Psuedo-Pixel movement script from MV. That's what I used for my game Eremiel which sounds similar to what you're working on.

I agree that the core scripts could be a bit more third-party developer friendly.

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I started with 2k so more than anything at this point I'm mainly just grateful for all the things that ARE default functionality in MV (and presumably MZ). But let's check my plugins tho...

I am 89% sure that MV is going to be final RPG Maker program, although I said that about VX Ace and maybe even VX before that. That said, here's stuff I think should get "baked in" in no particular order:

• All of the basic message functionality like toggleable wordwrap and name boxes and formatting text codes that are in YEP_MessageCore.
  • The ability to add/remove main menu commands w/o a third party script, i.e. the ability to customize your menu by adding event commands linked to common events.
  • HP and Item Costs for skill. I have no idea why HP Cost isn't baked in functionality, specifically, I mean that was an option in RPG Maker 1 for the PSX ffs
  • Basic title screen options like where you want to put your window and such.
  • Treasure/Item pickup popups.
BUT MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY OF THE ABOVE:

Support for any audio formats other than %^&*()(&^ ogg. I want MP3, and yes WAV AND yes MIDI support. I don't recall the exact technical reason why but I don't expect this to ever happen.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
  • The ability to add/remove main menu commands w/o a third party script, i.e. the ability to customize your menu by adding event commands linked to common events.
  • HP and Item Costs for skill. I have no idea why HP Cost isn't baked in functionality, specifically, I mean that was an option in RPG Maker 1 for the PSX ffs
Absolutely yes, especially HP costs. We can have mp and tp costs, not sure why you can't have hp costs, too.

Note that the PS RPG Maker series is made by a different company, so I can see why it's not automatic to have features shared (as much as I'd like that).

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Note that the PS RPG Maker series is made by a different company, so I can see why it's not automatic to have features shared (as much as I'd like that).
If I'm not mistaken they were made by the same company at the time. When I started a million years ago if I recall correctly RM2k and the PSX RPGMaker were both ASCII/Enterbrain products.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If I'm not mistaken they were made by the same company at the time. When I started a million years ago if I recall correctly RM2k and the PSX RPGMaker were both ASCII/Enterbrain products.
I had to go look it up since I've heard a lot that they weren't. It seems it's more complicated than that, it looks like the publishers were the same (ASCII) but the developers might be different (Kuusou Kagaku for the PS series). However, that's on a cursory search, I'm certain someone else would know more.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm surprised I'm the first person to say it, but: non-chibi actor graphics! Those have not been the in thing since...Final Fantasy V (for consoles, I know handheld stuff has kept it around longer).
Support for any audio formats other than %^&*()(&^ ogg. I want MP3, and yes WAV AND yes MIDI support. I don't recall the exact technical reason why but I don't expect this to ever happen.
Why? It's really trivial to convert audio files between formats, so why does this matter? It's like saying you want really hard for the various images to be able to be PNG, JPEG or TIFF...it's simple for you to convert them. Especially when you're talking WAV, why would you want to have an uncompressed format in a game you're distributing for people to download?

The only one that's a bit of effort is MIDI.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm surprised I'm the first person to say it, but: non-chibi actor graphics! Those have not been the in thing since
XP. They had 2x1 actor graphics and rm2k had 3x2, but VX brought in the 1x1 actors (which also look a bit weird compared to older games with 1x1 actors due to the even larger heads).

Mind, entire graphics overhaul is a pretty big change. I feel like there's a reason they want the chibi graphics, so if they were to use non-chibi ones that would be twice as many actor graphics and (importantly) generator graphics.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I am clearly not basing what I consider to be "the in thing" in JRPGs off of what they do with RPG Maker...otherwise, squashed chibi would still be the fad :stickytongue:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I introduced "booby trap" as another indirect way to fight supernatural threats in the game.
But, some of my players are using it to blow up random citizens on the street.
Not sure how "creative" they can go with it. :kaojoy:
Oh, boy. I'm now having dreams about Unity.
i want to make videogame, though i am burned out on games with RPG elements, but the only gamedev tool i know how to use is rpg maker. :/
Rakon wrote on xizorandy's profile.
Hello! I found a post of lightning strike pictures you posted. You said you made them, am I allowed to use them in my commercial project. Would be really cool!^^
evhht2zr.png

Have a nice day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
retrowatch