The feature that should be baked into RPG Maker by now is ...

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
... non-chibi actor graphics!
That would be great but it's probably too big for this topic. There's no way they could make a change like that to MZ which is kind of the goal here. Once they release a new RPG Maker, big changes like this are very rare. The biggest ones I can think of that happened in MV were the updated v1.5 plugin parameters and dark mode. We're kind of locked into MZ for a while now so I'm trying to focus on smaller improvement that could actually see the light of day.

The one I'm surprised hasn't come up yet is extra parallax layers for parallax mapping. It'd be pretty easy to implement and there's a lot of devs that would utilize that.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Assuming it'll be a new maker, I feel like the graphics should be an exponent of 2. MV's 48x48 is just bizarre. But that's an entirely personal thing, I'd just rather have 32x32 or 64x64 as the base (I don't think they'd go below or above that).

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That would be great but it's probably too big for this topic. There's no way they could make a change like that to MZ which is kind of the goal here.
Ah. I didn't see that stated in your original post...I was just completing the sentence of what it should have by now, not what could be added to the current version.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ATT_Turan
True. There are probably a lot of really big things that RPG Maker should have by now. What could be added to the current version, while not strictly a requirement, scales thing down to the size and scope I am hoping to discuss. There have been threads discussing the big changes we'd like to see so I am just trying to focus in on the smaller things that normally wouldn't make it into the conversation.

Zero_G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Being able to have more than one event window open at the same time, while also the variables/switches window open at the same time. It always bothered me how I have to close it each time, or like there is no simple shortcut for it.

In summary mimic the Wolf RPG functionality.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ATT_Turan
True. There are probably a lot of really big things that RPG Maker should have by now. What could be added to the current version, while not strictly a requirement, scales thing down to the size and scope I am hoping to discuss. There have been threads discussing the big changes we'd like to see so I am just trying to focus in on the smaller things that normally wouldn't make it into the conversation.
And that's perfectly fair. I just don't see properly-sized character sprites as such a big change - if users can make it work using plugins, then the program designers can make it work in the base game. It's much more a matter of providing the artwork in the generator and such than it is any kind of effect it would have on the game engine.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
One thing that definitely should have been added by now is traits and effects that let you change how parameters, elements etc. influence damage as the *user* as well as the target.

Like you can change how susceptible a character is to states but not their likelihood of *inflicting* them. You can make an enemy take 200% damage from fire but you can't make an actor deal 5% more fire damage with skills than other party members.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A more flexible, easy to alter, UI for both battles and non-battle scenes. Why is the hud and UI still so rigid? It's annoying that we have to wait for scripts to be able to change these things.
Same goes for the forced intergration of mouse support. I don't want mouse support in my game, why can't I just switch it off in the database? Again, it's bloody annoying. It's just one more thing I'm forced to work around.

RK DracoRoy

Fire Emblem RPG Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Provide Actor Turn Skip option for battle where I can press left or right from one actor to another without having to select a skill. I prefer choosing who can attack over being forced to choose a skill for one actor to get to the other.

Right now, so if I changed my mind for the 1st actor and I'm deciding how the 4th actor should attack, I basically have to cancel the selected skills for the 2nd and 3rd just to get to the 1st actor.

This feature, instead of cancelling skills to get back to a certain actor, I can simply press left to get to him / her without cancelling skills on other actors. And I don't have to select a skill again when going from Actor 1 to Actor 4 either, just press right.

Thefirelion

TheFireLion Game Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A extended and conditional choices system by default, why just 4 options in vx ace and 6 in mv/mz? No explain.

Last edited:

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I just don't see properly-sized character sprites as such a big change - if users can make it work using plugins

I didn't realize that this required a plugin. I thought that if you partitioned the battler sheet with taller boxes for different positions, it would just work. What are these plugins needed for or am I totally off in my assumption?

Provide Actor Turn Skip option for battle

I agree with this 100%. Having to re-input actions like that is annoying to say the least.

allow everyone to create custom tool like Mado and Sakan
That would be a reasonable way to basically extend the editor the same way that plugins extend the base engine code.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
3. Single actor auto-select: When there's only one actor in the party, there's no reason to have me go through the actor select menu when using an item or skill. There's no choice to make.
I thought this was because there are items that can be thrown at enemies in battle.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I thought this was because there are items that can be thrown at enemies in battle.
That goes through different logic that brings up an enemy select window instead of an actor select window. Same idea, though. If there's only one enemy on the battlefield, you don't have to ask me which one I'm using the item on. There's only one choice. Just auto-select and use the item.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
- optional word wrap in text box
- ability to keep database open while working on maps/events
- redo (saw in another comment an not having it is frustrating enough that I wanted to state it too)

Last edited:

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
One thing that definitely should have been added by now is traits and effects that let you change how parameters, elements etc. influence damage as the *user* as well as the target.

Like you can change how susceptible a character is to states but not their likelihood of *inflicting* them. You can make an enemy take 200% damage from fire but you can't make an actor deal 5% more fire damage with skills than other party members.

THIS. The basic engine which is meant for people who enjoy designing games, is way too simplistic in how it allows the dev to...you know, design the game. We shouldn't have to hunt down plugins, spend hours checking for compatibility bugs, etc., just to give a character an item, skill, or an inherent trait that makes them deal +50% damage with a particular element. Likewise, I should be able to say this skill/state grants +20 DEF for 3 turns...a FLAT +20, not some percentage of what you already have which might be a lot or might be a little.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
- optional word wrap in text box
Alternatively, the dialogue event preview box taking the game's main font into account and displaying that instead of the RPG Maker default.
(And if I had to add to that, also an option to preview item and skill descriptions from the database.)

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man, the item description box is ancient. It's useless for all but the most brief of descriptions. Want to have descriptions that contain lore, maybe a combination of fluff and mechanics? Sorry, you can only write a short sentence.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Make a Game in RMMZ Streams are going to remain in hiatus this week. Too much to do! 4 things will be announced on Monday though! Look forward to that.
Typed a long-ish reply to a post... forgot to actually HIT the post button, and moved to a different page.... finally noticed, don't remember what all I had typed and don't feel like trying to re-type it all.... smh....
Their tactics are evolving. They've learned to call for help when cornered. Never trust a mammal!
Good morning all. I still have a post up on video editing for cinematic trailers. Please make sure to check that out and give me a message as its still active in offers.
Hey everyone! I'm back :D

Snow White? More like Snowhere to be seen amiright? Hahaha I'm so sorry!! :kaocry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mestreb0b