The feature that should be baked into RPG Maker by now is ...

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Omgosh...just thought of a perfect one. When you're previewing equipment either in the equipment status menu or in the shop menu, the dev should have the option of showing the xpram modifiers too, not just the 6 core parameters.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
That goes through different logic that brings up an enemy select window instead of an actor select window. Same idea, though. If there's only one enemy on the battlefield, you don't have to ask me which one I'm using the item on. There's only one choice. Just auto-select and use the item.
I must have confused myself with some "classic Final Fantasy", which contained items that we could heal a companion or one of the enemies. This is also seen in "FF Tactics".
It would really be quite logical, and it is not difficult to make this check:
JavaScript:
if($gameTroop.aliveMembers().length() > 1){
    /*Call Select-Enemie*/
}else{
    /*Selected Action*/
    /*Maybe $gameTroop.aliveMembers()[index]*/
}
I probably did something wrong.

- ability to keep database open while working on maps/events
But would it be necessary to affect the game in testplay? Would you need to reread the data at a predefined time interval and this could not cause a big problems.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Man, the item description box is ancient. It's useless for all but the most brief of descriptions.
Definitely! I'm actually working around this exact issue in my current project. If the player is going to have the ability to choose which skill they want to their character to learn, I need more than two short lines of text to describe what it does.

I must have confused myself with some "classic Final Fantasy"
You might be using plugins that get around the restriction of only being able to use an item or skill on only actors or enemies. That would actually be better as then the point becomes moot. There would always be at least two potential targets in battle, at least.

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
A file system to organize maps, sprite and tile editor, more control over editing and changing the title screen, a more advanced splash screen (both allowing for pics and vids) built in, and Microsoft Word-esque text editing (colored squiggles, and word correction). Nuff said.

Rodak

Dang Hippy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Math
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have two BIG pet peeve features that I can think of no reason for leaving out:

1) A Redo option. We have Undo, but without Redo one can accidentally lose large amounts of work if you accidentally double click the undo arrow (say you made a huge event, placed it, did something else and went to undo that, but undid both!) (happened to me a few times).

2) A "Save As" option right near "Save" would be great! On most of my real work (stuff I get paid for in digital art and web design) I keep 3 or 4 "works in progress" and overwrite the oldest after making a lot of progress. As it is, I have to copy and paste the project to have my often needed backups. Couple that with not knowing which one I'm working on because it doesn't tell me the file location, just it's name, if I take a day or 3 off I can forget which one I was on! {yes, I know it opens to the last open project, but who works on only 1 project at a time anyhow?}

Cyberhawk

Bravelion Leader
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Aside from the option to pick between chibi SV models and non chibi battle models and the return of the animation system from previous RMS.

Would say: having full emotion face sets for the base actors to start with. (No five faces and a sixth missing). and maybe a bust generator. Much of my issues are graphics and or lack of at times.

Also Yes to the redo and spell check option. Though the Spellchecker might be harder to implement.

Give us the option to change what the quick chest msg says. (I know we can just edit the event. But it would save a lot of time overall.)

Rodak

Dang Hippy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Math
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Also Yes to the redo and spell check option. Though the Spellchecker might be harder to implement.

Glad somebody else likes the redo option! As for the spellchecker, it *may* be a lot easier than we think since the game exports html5, it may be able to tap into the dictionary in your default web browser. Which would have the added bonus of including words you opted to "add to dictionary" instead of correct.

And while I'm here, one more easy-ish thing that I would Love to have is a sprite viewer type thing for when we make our own stuff, especially for battlers.

I had to make a map with events that would use the "show battle animation" command and cycle through the options to test my battlers looks without needing to actually go into battle each time (plus this works with the "test" command so I didn't even need to go through loading the whole game!) - but a simple feature right in the database would be really helpful when making custom battlers (unless they want to start supplying Cow Battlers with every new release!) (and Penguins, Ostriches, Pigs, Sheep, Poodles, etc...).

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I could generate a very long list in response to this question, but for starters, it would be nice to have a real, functional "Undo" command in the database/event editor. As of now, woe to you if you made a lot of changes since last clicking "Apply" and then accidentally delete the wrong command.

The entire UI of the editor is essentially unchanged since the 90's. This is just one example, off the top of my head, based on my most recent moment of head-shaking, almost disbelieving-this-is-really-happening-in-the-year-of-our-lord-2021 frustration.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If there's only one enemy on the battlefield, you don't have to ask me which one I'm using the item on. There's only one choice. Just auto-select and use the item.
I'd definitely want this to be an option, not automatic. If all battles have only one enemy, sure. But I also like being able to back out of my choice in case I either pick the wrong item or realize there's a better choice.

Alternatively, the dialogue event preview box taking the game's main font into account and displaying that instead of the RPG Maker default.
That is such a small and perfect change.

You might be using plugins that get around the restriction of only being able to use an item or skill on only actors or enemies. That would actually be better as then the point becomes moot. There would always be at least two potential targets in battle, at least.
Actually, yeah, can we just add target selectors that don't distinguish between enemy and ally or dead and alive? That death thing is so annoying to deal with when making skills.

On the note of pet peeves, why don't more actors come with sideview animations? I feel like every 'actor' should and I'd definitely like if every rtp character did.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On the note of pet peeves, why don't more actors come with sideview animations? I feel like every 'actor' should and I'd definitely like if every rtp character did.

This is a pet peeve of mine, too. Take a look at the RTP of MZ. Every single character, including the animals, get busts, but only a handful get animated and static battlers. Why doesn't the character who looks like Little Red Riding Hood get a static battler? Some of the other actors get them.

You end up in this frustrating situation where you find yourself inspired after looking through the character art, think to yourself that you want this one as a hero, that one as villain, etc, only to find out half of those characters have missing art. This is fine if you can draw, sprite, or know which random blog contains a single piece of art you need, but not so good for someone who has just bought the engine and is excited to make a game.

knightron

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
When controlling variables, I think it'd work better if the engine remembered the last variable you edited and defaulted to that rather than the first made variable. As a compromise I'd even prefer the engine to default to no variable selected and come up with an error box if apply or okay was selected.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  1. Everything in the editor and the game UI designed around a default widescreen resolution rather than this 4:3 garbage found in both MV and MZ. Hi this is 2021, the next version really better have this.
  2. Native key/controller config--user level preferred, but developer level would be better than nothing. Right now it's easy for a coder, but if you're code-illiterate, good luck.
  3. Native word wrap. Literally no one: "I want my text to run off the edges of the text window!"
  4. drawTextEx (text code support) for all text rendering, not just some.
  5. Database sub-tabs. What I mean is, the ability to create a variable-length "Swords" subsection in weapons, followed by a "Spears" subsection, etc. Right now, you kind of can by spacing things out, but if you only allowed say, 10 spaces for swords and you later decide you need 15...yeah have fun with that.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Honestly? 90% of the features of Yanfly/Visutella's plugins should just be baked into the engine at this point. MZ took the time to bake a few yanfly-features into the engine, kinda seems like a waste to not have more, especially given that plugin development has slowed down massively since the start of MV (not to mention plugins that were free for most of MV's lifespan are no longer free, not that I blame the developers of the plugins, but there's definitely a huge difference between plugins you can grab at the start without dropping cash then and now).

A few more specific non-Yanfly things I'd like:
1. A ctrl-f search function within events themselves. If I want to search for a line of dialogue to add more commands rather than wading through text, I should just be able to search for it, since the work flow for editing move routes and adding dialogue for me is: test->See dialogue where things need to be changed->dig through event to find dialogue.
2. Ability to open up multiple event windows. I should not have to open up a project twice to compare a common event with another event, or to copy stuff from one event another. All opening up multiple projects does for me is cause me to mix up the one I'm working on.
3. Character generator with features on par with Schlaggen's Extended generator. MZ got closer but is still a loooonnnngggg ways off.

1. Everything in the editor and the game UI designed around a default widescreen resolution rather than this 4:3 garbage found in both MV and MZ. Hi this is 2021, the next version really better have this.
  2. Native key/controller config--user level preferred, but developer level would be better than nothing. Right now it's easy for a coder, but if you're code-illiterate, good luck.
  3. Native word wrap. Literally no one: "I want my text to run off the edges of the text window!"

All of this. Absolutely all of this.

Last edited:

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
2. Ability to open up multiple event windows. I should not have to open up a project twice to compare a common event with another event, or to copy stuff from one event another. All opening up multiple projects does for me is cause me to mix up the one I'm working on.

Whoah, wait, WHAT?! I so have to try this! :vxmegane:

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  4. drawTextEx (text code support) for all text rendering, not just some.
  5. Database sub-tabs. What I mean is, the ability to create a variable-length "Swords" subsection in weapons, followed by a "Spears" subsection, etc. Right now, you kind of can by spacing things out, but if you only allowed say, 10 spaces for swords and you later decide you need 15...yeah have fun with that.
Oh my God, yes! All of this right here!

SLEEP

grunge rock cloud strife
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
emglish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Seconding a WYSISYG menu customization system, and a spellcheck.

Being able to access custom-made subfolders in the editor. Like, Pictures subfolders. There are scripts which allow you to use subfolders, but they should be able to be accessed easily in the editor.

Customizable keybinding as a feature in the options menu.

And like, I know you said not to say it in the OP, but native support for 3D... It should be added. 3D is easier than ever for indie devs. Blender is both more powerful, and easier to use, than it was 20 years ago when the first editions of RPG Maker were first released. 3D characters and voxel tilesets could fit into the current workflow.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
And like, I know you said not to say it in the OP, but native support for 3D... It should be added. 3D is easier than ever for indie devs. Blender is both more powerful, and easier to use, than it was 20 years ago when the first editions of RPG Maker were first released. 3D characters and voxel tilesets could fit into the current workflow.
I agree with the other things, but 3d in particular feels like something you'd just want to go to another engine for. And vice versa, making a 2d game will be much easier than many of those 3d systems out there.

ZenVirZan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Items, switches and other database components shouldn't be ordered by ID. It's insanity for larger scale projects and makes it very difficult to collaborate and organise without significant effort--the fact that the makers are still built upon this blows my mind. Internal name identifiers should be used, or if not, there should be a search bar with the item ID hidden and the display name used instead.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Items, switches and other database components shouldn't be ordered by ID.
Definitely. It's not like a list of things has to be displayed in the order that it's stored in the data file. Having a sort option that allows you to choose the type, name, param etc shouldn't be that difficult. Easily worth the effort as a QoL improvement for us devs. Either that or allow for manual sorting like they already did for maps.

... more variable conditions on the event page, other than "equal or more than".
This one is kind of baffling too. Can't really think of a good reason why they limited this.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

i want to make videogame, though i am burned out on games with RPG elements, but the only gamedev tool i know how to use is rpg maker. :/
Rakon wrote on xizorandy's profile.
Hello! I found a post of lightning strike pictures you posted. You said you made them, am I allowed to use them in my commercial project. Would be really cool!^^
evhht2zr.png

Have a nice day!
It's almost 3 month and this piece of drawing is still not finished yet.
aaaa.jpg

Really busy with other stuffs like commission and coping with personal problem.
Stella & Elyune, maybe used for promotional art if my game project finished one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lotrein