The feature that should be baked into RPG Maker by now is ...

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I wish it was easier to add multiple skills at once, for actors and for enemies. And also that it was possible to look for skills by name rather than the current set up where you have to remember the number. I have over 200 skills in one game and I don't remember every single one of them.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
... more variable conditions on the event page, other than "equal or more than".
I fully agree! Why do we still have these limited event page conditions?

The whole engine just needs more accessible customisation. We shouldn't need to rely on the community to add what feels like basic functionality and customisation. How will it affect the next RPG Maker, if there is one, if the number of community scripters dwindles in the coming years?

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think there should be an option to turn the editor into

Beginner mode
Advanced mode
Expert mode

Each mode extends the complexity of the editor and how in-depth the options go.

Beginner mode is basically for anyone who starts out with the engine and wants to learn it without being overwhelmed. This mode would also be the go-to for younger people that don't want nothing to do with actual coding. This is basically the equivalent of how the editor is right now.

Advanced mode would allow you to do more complex stuff like custom event-page conditions and basically anything that requires some coding knowledge, atleast on a rudimentary scale.

Expert mode would allow you remove any limitations when it comes to changing database and event stuff. And any parameter in the database and events could be evaled.

Last edited:

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Better organization... The ability to use subfolders and different folders for like doodads and such. Being able to color code things like map names and item names in the editor for easier reference, and the ability to move certain items around easier without cut and paste.

Most important though, improved events. Self variables, more self switches, group switch toggling, remote self switch toggling, more conditions in conditional branching, things like that.

Something I wish they would expand on is tools. An example, a DLC text editor
A unusual thing maybe...but adding like a small text editor sidebar would be nice. If you could add to do lists, a dev log, links to events and maps, things like that. They could charge extra for it. MADO and SAKAN I think were good ideas, just needed to be tweaked a bit.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Definitely. It's not like a list of things has to be displayed in the order that it's stored in the data file. Having a sort option that allows you to choose the type, name, param etc shouldn't be that difficult. Easily worth the effort as a QoL improvement for us devs. Either that or allow for manual sorting like they already did for maps.

It's a standard UI mistake, letting the underlying data structure dictate how users must interact with it.

Another example is how tilesets currently work. Tilesets currently map 1:1 with an existing PNG. This is simple to code, but it means users have to micromanage what the tile PNG sheet looks like when doing maps. Want to add a new chair? Better make sure you aren't altering a tile elsewhere in the game when you replace an existing slot.

The RPGMaker editor knows exactly which tiles are in use on which map, and it would be straightforward for RPGM to optimize tileset usage at deploy time, and assemble tilesets based on which tiles are actually on maps.

Done properly, this would (A) decrease file size (if you never use a tile it doesn't get included), and (B) make it easier to map; you could use any tile from any set, regardless of which png it's stored on, and do things like passibility tweaks without global consequences.

Now, deployed tilesets would definitely end up as machine-organized tileheaps that are less pretty to look at, but a lot of people encrypt those anyway.

Sprite handling is also creaky. A character file is assumed by default to be a 2x4 grid of 3x4 sprites, with the middle pose serving as both a standing pose and midframe walking. It's a bad design, and the only reason it exists is that the sheets were laid out that way for a technological reason in an early maker, and inertia has carried it forward even when it doesn't make any sense.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Tiny thing that annoys me; the hard limit of four lines of text in text boxes. Sometimes you want more, sometimes you want less. I get not wanting to have text boxes 'attach' to sprites since that is a lot of work, but the text box size itself seems unnecessary to lock at four lines. If we add in word wrap, text boxes could be "one" line that's however long you put in.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I don't know if it has to do with the theme, but ...
I always wanted the graphics of the characters and NPCs (on a map) to have a spacing below the feet, with a size equal or greater than that of a "tile":
Rpg2k/2k3: 16x16 px
RpgXP: 32x32 px
RpgVX/ACE: ???
RpgMV: ???
RpgMZ: ???
It may not be useful in general, but in my opinion it would help a lot with the question "Cutscenes", ABS, etc.

It is not difficult to simulate with one more event.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I always wanted the graphics of the characters and NPCs (on a map) to have a spacing below the feet, with a size equal or greater than that of a "tile"
I'm having trouble figuring out what you mean by this.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
My English is very bad and I also don't know what "technical terms" are used.

See the attached image, bearing in mind that the "characters" graphics have no size limit since the "XP" version.
The collision should remain on the character, but the graph can pass, as well as the top and laterals.
I don't remember seeing a Script or Plugin that could change that.

JRPG-GFX-Place-on-Map.png

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My English is very bad and I also don't know what "technical terms" are used.

See the attached image, bearing in mind that the "characters" graphics have no size limit since the "XP" version.
The collision should remain on the character, but the graph can pass, as well as the top and laterals.
I don't remember seeing a Script or Plugin that could change that.

View attachment 185934
in MV events actually are offset with a 6 pixel gap between their base and the bottom of the tile by default (you can turn it off with a '!' filename prefix, and this doesn't apply to events that take their image from the tilesheet)

2lvWX03.png

Or are you saying you want collision to be based on how big the sprite is?

For instance, if you have 48x48 sized tiles, and the sprite is 96x48, for the event collider to be 2 tiles high and 1 tile wide?

Last edited:

ZenVirZan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Or are you saying you want collision to be based on how big the sprite is?

For instance, if you have 48x48 sized tiles, and the sprite is 96x48, for the event collider to be 2 tiles high and 1 tile wide?
I think they want to be able to offset the sprite so that collision doesn't need to be from the bottom middle, so that you can have larger sprites with additional extensions to the front (ie. imagine a character holding their spear forward. For the front-facing frame, their collision would be at the spear tip and not where their character is. The other directions in this example wouldn't have any issues.)
Easy enough to add via a plugin though.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think they want to be able to offset the sprite so that collision doesn't need to be from the bottom middle, so that you can have larger sprites with additional extensions to the front (ie. imagine a character holding their spear forward. For the front-facing frame, their collision would be at the spear tip and not where their character is. The other directions in this example wouldn't have any issues.)
Easy enough to add via a plugin though.
That gets into better sprite handling in general, which is a big issue.

I mean, this awful move route workaround
nsTcKJS.png

is the intended way to play a sprite animation of opening a chest. That could have been fixed in any of the previous versions, but never was.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I think the best example I got was to make an animation:
ezgif-2-e47d1a729eae.gif
(Sprite Credits: ADilla)
I did this with Pictures in Rm2k around the year 2013, but I had to create several conditions to simulate the levels of the images.
I know, Rpg Maker is not focused on developing "ABS" ...

But, for example, if I want to make a character go up on a spaceship in a "Cutscene", I need to make two "Paintings", one without him and the other with him.
I can also do an event with a larger graph, but from the feet up it will cover any other event on the map.

Understand, as well as the topic, this is just an idea, not something that I believe should be standard, I just think it would be more interesting.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, so you want to be able to displace the sprite from the collider?

(collider is blue circle)
51DMztS.png

Yeah that's definitely currently a plugin thing (you can do it a with altimit/mog/yanfly and many others), but I agree that being able to specify in-engine would help.

Having to name a file something like "$Actor1(f5)(d1)(y4)_lanceattack(y56).png", then in the move route
->switch to new image
->turn stepping on
->set movespeed to whatever gets the right framerate
->set a wait command for the exact number of frames
->turn stepping off
->restore original movespeed
->change to original image

Is a lot more annoying than what my ideal interface would be (select the lanceattack animation, click the 'play once' button instead of the 'loop' button).

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I made an "ABS" based on Zelda games (SNES, GBA, Others) in which the arm and the sword were just another event on the map:
The event was called by the attack key:
Code:
<>Var X-Sword = Player X-Coord
<>Var Y-Sword = Player Y-Coord
<>If Player Face Up
   <>Var Y-Sword = -1
   <>Move Event: Sword: Face Up
   <>
:End
<>If Player Face Left
   <>Var X-Sword = -1
   <>Move Event: Sword: Face Left
   <>
<>If Player Face Down
   <>Var Y-Sword = +1
   <>Move Event: Sword: Face Down
   <>
<>If Player Face Right
   <>Var X-Sword = +1
   <>Move Event: Sword: Face Right
   <>
<>Transf. Event Sword [X-Sword,Y-Sword]
<>Var Sword-Ani = +1

Graphic Charaset 2 = Frame 2
Code:
<>Wait 15 frames
<>Var Sword-Ani = +1
It was not difficult, but it was very boring to edit the images, luckily at the time there was a program (it was in German) that allowed to copy excerpts of the character's graphic between two files, it did the same with the chipset.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When controlling variables, I think it'd work better if the engine remembered the last variable you edited and defaulted to that rather than the first made variable. As a compromise I'd even prefer the engine to default to no variable selected and come up with an error box if apply or okay was selected.
I use this to my advantage by making Variable #1 a temporary Variable that I use for stuff that only needs to be stored in the moment during an event (like a quick randomizer on something), and can then be re-used for something else later on. It makes it convenient for those type of uses for the Variable.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use this to my advantage by making Variable #1 a temporary Variable that I use for stuff that only needs to be stored in the moment during an event (like a quick randomizer on something), and can then be re-used for something else later on. It makes it convenient for those type of uses for the Variable.
I do this to, except some of the random crap I've used them for gets pretty complicated, so I like to reserve at least 5-10 for this purpose. Or I suppose if you *really* need a lot of throwaway variables, you could just stuff them on $gameTemp or something.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do this to, except some of the random crap I've used them for gets pretty complicated, so I like to reserve at least 5-10 for this purpose. Or I suppose if you *really* need a lot of throwaway variables, you could just stuff them on $gameTemp or something.
Yeah, I started with just 1, until I figured I had a use for more of them. Now I have the first 10 Variables reserved as temporaries, but haven't gone beyond using the first 5 yet. Really helps keeping the number of used Variables (and also Switches to a lesser extent) lower than if you were to create a uniquely named one for scenarios like these.

And also on the topic, I just remembered something else I'm surprised doesn't make it in as a default feature is being able to set the battle scene location for my actors. I mean, RM2K3 let you set them, no idea why that feature never was brought back in MV/MZ when they went back to sideview combat scenes.

And heavily agreeing with what was mentioned before in the thread that we should be able to organise the database entries better. Having stuff tied to ID's makes it super difficult to keep things organised, if you're going to have a lot of skills or items. You're kind of forced to keep open tons of placeholder entries just in case you want to add more, but leave open too many and it becomes difficult to find stuff in the list, leave open too little and you might find yourself having to reorganise entire sections to fit in something where you want it. An option to insert an entry while having the engine do the rest of the work to keep everything tied to what it was would be ideal (think of like inserting a row in Excel).

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another thread that just got bumped reminded me of something that has boggled me since I started using MV: how is there no event command to change the self-switch of another event?

I don't know if I somehow do cutscenes and map events in an entirely different way than most people do, but I do this all the flipping time and it's annoying to have to type/copy/paste a script call for it every time.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
how is there no event command to change the self-switch of another event?
This one was mentioned by another poster as well. I'm curious what situations you run into where one event needs to flip the self switch of another.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A side story is almost getting into the next stage. Almost everything in this game has real-life references.
unfinishedbuildingwip1.jpg
Everyday life is full of absurdity. This is just a reflection.
TFW you discover how the script batching works in VNMaker... after you've had the program for almost 3 years.
Writes that the characters have to climb a mountain.

Realized that I have to draw six sets of models where characters are climbing.

At least I know how to draw something. :)
I'm currently scratching my head on how to design plains. What do I even put in plains? Some trees (but not too many or it turns into a forest)? Grass? A few bushes? That's a bit dull.
I'm looking for tutorials but Google didn't seem to find much (or maybe I have the wrong keywords). I don't know how to map plains and I don't know how to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louarn