The feature that should be baked into RPG Maker by now is ...

D.L. Yomegami

Sanely Insane
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Another thing that feels absurdly simple yet isn't present: it'd really be nice to have a "opened recently" option. It'd be a massive time saver for people like me who like to constantly switch between two projects for whatever reason, as opposed to having to navigate to other projects through the normal "Open Project" option every single time.

Saireau

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The feature that should be baked into RPG Maker by now is being able to set a critical hit sound effect. At the moment, not even Visustella provides that. I really don't understand it! :D Critical hits feel so much better for the player with a sound effect.

Yeah, this is certainly not the most crucial thing, but it was the first that came to my mind. :)

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
it'd really be nice to have a "opened recently" option
This would be simple and useful. Thankfully, the Windows OS does sort of fill this hole if you right-click on the application instead of opening it normally. It kind of sucks though because you have to hover over each one to see which project it belong to. It would definitely be better to also bake this into the application itself.

Yeah, this is certainly not the most crucial thing, but it was the first that came to my mind.
No worries. That's kind of the point of this thread. :)

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Another thing that feels absurdly simple yet isn't present: it'd really be nice to have a "opened recently" option. It'd be a massive time saver for people like me who like to constantly switch between two projects for whatever reason, as opposed to having to navigate to other projects through the normal "Open Project" option every single time.
In my case, I just have both opened. If you open a project separately you can just keep it on another window.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The feature that should be baked into RPG Maker by now is being able to set a critical hit sound effect. At the moment, not even Visustella provides that. I really don't understand it! :D Critical hits feel so much better for the player with a sound effect.

Yeah, this is certainly not the most crucial thing, but it was the first that came to my mind. :)
What I think is super neat when making animations is that you can have something happen only on hit (such as the target flashing). Being able to change little things on critical would help immensely.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This one was mentioned by another poster as well. I'm curious what situations you run into where one event needs to flip the self switch of another.
I do it a few times for specific things that I don't want to clutter up the main switch list. I mean an event technically can flip the self switch of another event, but it requires some coding:

$gameSelfSwitches.setValue([mapId, eventId, switchId], true);

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This one was mentioned by another poster as well. I'm curious what situations you run into where one event needs to flip the self switch of another.
Gosh...all the time. I have a path area covered with events that pop up a tutorial, or a party conversation, or route them to a specific place to start a cutscene or fight, and I want all of those events deactivated afterward. Now I know that there are enlarged event plugins I could've used, but that never occurred to me to look for when I was starting.

When I'm in cutscenes with my party members talking to each other (or any NPC that wasn't on the original map or I don't want to remain on the map), I have events on the map to have their sprites moving around, and I don't want those events on the map afterward. One could transfer to a different map or use a global switch or variable, but just basic coding habits meant those options didn't occur to me when I had a way to do it contained within the events; and I think the engine should encourage that usage.
I mean an event technically can flip the self switch of another event, but it requires some coding:

Sure, and that's what I do, but I think it should have a button in the event editor, so you can have nice drop-down menus to choose the right map and event without having to take notes of the IDs.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do it a few times for specific things that I don't want to clutter up the main switch list. I mean an event technically can flip the self switch of another event, but it requires some coding:

I monkey with self switches in scripts often enough that I made a shorthand function for it.
Code:
//set this's selfswitch on or off, using this.setSelf('A',true), for instance

Game_CharacterBase.prototype.setSelf = function(switchName,switchValue)
{
	switchName = switchName.toUpperCase();
	var key = [$gameMap._mapId, this._eventId, switchName];
	$gameSelfSwitches.setValue(key, switchValue);
}

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Now I know that there are enlarged event plugins I could've used, but that never occurred to me to look for when I was starting.
Gotcha. Yeah, that was one of first plugins I wrote (Trigger Distance) because after blanketing an area with a copy of an event and then repeatedly having to make changes and re-blanket the area just wasn't working for me. I even suggested it as an improvement because it would be sweet to actually see the area that it was covering in the editor. I always just used regular variables for other situations since they are relatively rare for me. Seems like your suggestion might be useful although it I could potentially see losing track of what is remotely flipping the self switches. I guessing that's why they never added this feature.

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's something simple that I'd love: the ability to learn or unlearn multiple abilities in one event command, instead of having to set up a bunch of Learn Skill commands in a row.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Here's something simple that I'd love: the ability to learn or unlearn multiple abilities in one event command, instead of having to set up a bunch of Learn Skill commands in a row.
Related to that, being able to unlearn skills as part of level up. This would allow the developer to have 'skill replacement' with ease, in addition to other things.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seems like your suggestion might be useful although it I could potentially see losing track of what is remotely flipping the self switches.
Ehn? I don't see how it's different from keeping track of where you modify variables or global switches. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't see how it's different from keeping track of where you modify variables or global switches.
You can search for those, I thought. I could be wrong. I've been spending all my time coding and haven't actually worked in the editor in a long time so I could be wrong.

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Speaking from MV experience, haven't tried MZ truly yet so idk if these have been fixed or improved since.
1) Event Self Variables.

2) A better timer system (More controls, an actual window)

3) More screen effects than just tint and flash, via event system.

4) Native spatial Z co-ordinates on sprites for better '3D' gfx management. This one is incredibly irritating. Probably fixed in MZ with updated pixi.js

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can search for those, I thought. I could be wrong. I've been spending all my time coding and haven't actually worked in the editor in a long time so I could be wrong.
Oh, that. Nope, you're not wrong! I've never used the tool, but there is an event searcher.

I just never thought putting stuff into self-switches was particularly hard to track, as one presumably has a limited number of events on a given map to check.

But, hey, if they tossed this event control in and felt the same concern that you do, the search tool already looks for switches and for events, so it should be pretty trivial to add a radio button with a few drop-downs to look for an event's self-switches.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
One thing I don't get is how limited troop page conditions are. Why can't I have a troop page condition react to a specific skill being used rather than having to give the skill a common event that changes based on the troop it's being used in?
On top of that, why do I have to use a script in order to check the current troop's ID?

Also, troop self-switches would be real nice.
Sure, and that's what I do, but I think it should have a button in the event editor, so you can have nice drop-down menus to choose the right map and event without having to take notes of the IDs.
Yeah, agreed. Occasionally I wanna just have the same event on two maps that happens based on a condition, but don't want to waste a switch turning them both off or a common event.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oof, I just realised Flash Sprite event command has completely vanished. It was one of those effects I used on occasion in RM2K(3), no idea why it no longer exists in the event command list.

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Simple pathing in movement route. Like, you pick a spot on the map and have the event move there automatically, without having to do the whole, moveleft-moveleft-moveleft, thing. Like transfer event/player except the event/player walks there.
It would save me so much time. And brainpower.... There's only so much counting I can stand in a day ok!

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And another one by me (yes, I've recently been starting to work on map events, so I'm running into a bunch of stuff now). What the hell happened to hide screen transitions? RM2K3 had a big list of different effects to choose from, when hiding the screen. Again, what reason was there to get rid of these? Why do I need plugins to get basic stuff done that was once part of the base engine? RPG Maker made big improvements on the combat aspect of things between VX Ace+ and older versions, but eventing on the map feels like such a downgrade, compared to RM2K(3).

Untitled.png

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
@Milennin I liked using this to simulate the zelda-style map transition.
But I believe that since the XP version they had already removed it, then it simulated with Pictures.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

dd_airport2.jpgdd_combat.jpg
dd_town.jpg
I did an experiment to try to solve the art style problem between RTP and 3D models.
But, it feels this grimdark world is going to end even faster. :kaoswt2:
Solovei wrote on caethyril's profile.
Hi, just wanted to say, thank you for helping me fix that event with the step count! I followed your example exactly and it works now:kaojoy:
still waiting for original character contest 3 bust/face dlc release :kaoluv:
Stimpaks and More.png
Continued work. Still a WIP, some need some retouching. Stimpak, Radaway, Psycho, Jet, Mentats, Medex(ish/needs to be purple), bloodpack, glowing bloodpack. Made some Nuka too. Need to make Rad-X.
Nuka Sheet WIP FR.png
Done translating our projects intro sequence : D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyaka