The First Rebellion - [Updated 12/5/2014]

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by MyLordRobinson, Sep 3, 2012.

1. MyLordRobinson

MyLordRobinson Emperor of Carnelia Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
     ​
     ​
     ​
    Coming Soon...
     ​

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
    SOC, Aurorain, Pink Peach and 4 others like this.
  2. celebrus

celebrus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just judging by the screenshots, I like what I see with your mapping, and I especially like your equip interface (how'd you get/do that?) EDIT: Oh, I see: http://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/2011/12/24/yea-ace-equip-engine/

However, I think it's a bit much to ask your players to read the scrolling white text on the gray cloudy background...

Oh... and I like your title screen graphic!

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
    MyLordRobinson likes this.
  3. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    Thanks Celebus. I made sure to address that. I also added some new screenshots and info!

4. celebrus

celebrus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Much better. I really like your mapping. Tilesets are lovely. Who drew the title screen?

I find it a bit strange all your characters have the same face shape, but that fact wouldn't exactly cause me to turn the game off... On the whole, the screenshots imply a game crafted with care. Good job!

5. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    Tyg4r worked on the title screen for me. The faces are from Cellianna's face generator. I'm going to try and learn pixel art to make custom faces, but it's going to have to be on the back burner.

6. servantb7

servantb7 Servantb7 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The screenshots look great, especially the title screen. Does your game have branching paths following the different characters? I like how you have main characters from different countries and their paths weave together. Looks very promising.

7. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    Yes sir, I do, actually. The story is based on my three novels I've written. I have a lot to work from. Thanks for noticing! I'll have a demo out shortly!

8. servantb7

First Language:
    English
    Cool. I look forward to seeing the demo.

9. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
  10. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    The demo is online. Has anyone had a chance to take a look at it?

11. celebrus

celebrus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I took a glance at the game. I'm working on my own, so I didn't play through very long, but here's just a few notes:

• I missed half of the dialogue because my habit is to hold down the dash button, which you let skip dialogues.
    • Shutdown and Go to Title Screen are in "Settings". Maybe it's just me, but?
    • If you press the cancel button on the dropdown item-use menu, the door was still unlocked.

That's all I've got time for now, but one thing I liked was that you start the game off in the middle of action. I'm envious... My game starts in a town so it feels less fun for the first bit... :( Something for me to think about... Anyway, good luck!

MyLordRobinson likes this.
  12. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I had a problem with that too when I test play. Should I go ahead and activate auto-dash?

That's part of Yanfly's "System Setting" script. At this point, I don't find ANY uses for it, so I'm going to delete it.

About the gate, it's my first time using item ID's in a variable. Here's what the event page looks like:

[​IMG]

What am I doing wrong?

13. celebrus

celebrus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Your condition is incorrect. Instead, check if variable 150 is equal to the ID of the Old Key.

14. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    That should be fixed. Thanks a lot Celebrus!

15. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    Bumping, requesting feedback.

16. servantb7

First Language:
    English
    Ok, I've played to the point of wandering around Baux collecting Scarlett Mushrooms. Does the demo go beyond that? If it does, I may need some help, not sure where to go next. Anyway, here are some thoughts so far.

Positives

-I like the music. Seems to fit well.

-I like the interactivity of the mushroom picking. It's fun to just always have an eye open for something to pick up.

-The crafting system looks good from what I've seen so far.

-I like the event battle at the beginning in the trials, where the goal is not to defeat all enemies but just to stay alive

a certain number of turns. I think battles with unorthodox parameters and objectives spice a game up and make it

more fun.

-I like how the game switches between different characters. I think there's a lot of potential there.

-The mapping is excellent in my opinion. It looks great, full of visual detail. I like how Baux has lots of different

parts that connect to make up the city. However, this is related to my biggest negative in the game....

Negatives

-...which is that as great as the maps look, they are very empty as far as interactivity and NPCs. When I wandered around Baux there were

only a handful of people and it just seemed empty. There were lots of buildings, but I couldn't go into any of them. As a gamer, that kind of frustrated me.

I'm the kind of player who likes to explore every house and enjoys finding little things and getting little details from NPCs inside, but I couldn't do that. I'm guessing, though, that this might be due to this being a demo, and that you're planning to fill in those details later.

-The "holding shift/skipping dialogue" thing that was mentioned above....I had the same problem and missed a lot of the dialogue.

-A lot of the treetops/bushes/lamp posts and pots were walkthrough in Baux. For the treetops and lampposts specifically, I'd suggest making their passibility 'star' so that the player can walk behind them but not on top of them.

-In the opening, drought is spelled draught.

-The evade rate seems really high in battle. My attacks were missing a lot, which can be frustrating. The enemies attacks were very weak, so I never felt in any danger. This is probably because it is the very beginning of the game, but I might make it so the enemies do a little more damage (maybe enough to kill a character w/ 10-12 hits), or the player might get bored.

Overall, it shows promise. The biggest thing I would work on is adding interactive details to your maps. I might consider getting rid of a lot of the houses and shops in Baux if the player can't enter them. If they aren't there the gamer doesn't miss them, but if they are there and can't be entered it feels frustrating. Looking forward to seeing more!

Oh, and let me know if your demo goes beyond collecting mushrooms in Baux....if it does I can't figure out where to go.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
  17. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    It's not a full demo. That's just to test if I created the game correctly to where it can be downloaded, but I am working on interior maps for each house. That being said, I appreciate the thing about the lamps and stuff, I'll change that right away. When you control Gideon is where the demo essentially stops, so that's all I have published for now.

The slimes are supposed to be easy, but when they do use their magic, it hits for a lot, as far as Salam and Claude are concerned. Saige is built like a tank, but can be overwhelmed by the zombie enemies pretty quickly if he's by himself.

I'll look at lowering the evasion rate.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
  18. Rello

Rello Rello Veteran

First Language:
    Profanity
    There's a weird instance where when I go to use the key on the gate, even if I hit 'cancel', the gate still opens.

19. MyLordRobinson

First Language:
    English
    Yeah... I've fixed that. Did you happen to find anything else?

20. Rello

Rello Rello Veteran

First Language:
    Profanity
    Not right now, I'll keep looking though.

edit: Salam appears to be Spiderman!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012