The First Rebellion - [Updated 12/5/2014]

MyLordRobinson

Emperor of Carnelia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's odd. Where is Saige in that screenshot? I've test played it and I didn't receive that kind of error...

I'm using Victor's Follower script, but I've not seen that. Can you test it again?

Actually, it looks like Claude moved up and walked over Saige. That's really weird.

Last edited by a moderator:

MyLordRobinson

Emperor of Carnelia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The demo has been updated, and it's a bit smaller than the original. Check it out and tell me what you think!

MyLordRobinson

Emperor of Carnelia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
More character information has been added.

Any one try out the demo?

Rello

Rello
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Profanity
Primarily Uses
Still getting this kinda bug:

MyLordRobinson

Emperor of Carnelia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I tried it on my own unzipped version of that demo and the bug wasn't replicated. That's really weird.

MyLordRobinson

Emperor of Carnelia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Bump? Looking for demo testers! :D

MyLordRobinson

Emperor of Carnelia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I figured out what was wrong. What happened was that if you enter that particular event block at an awkward angle, the characters move oddly. I have since fixed that. Sorry for the trouble, Waffles!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
sounds intriguing.

I'll be giving this a go... likely not until next month, but I will be trying the demo out then.

MyLordRobinson

Emperor of Carnelia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks! I'll be updating the demo soon. I've done a LOT of editing. As far as the mapping goes, it's the same format, but I've actually added events to it. I appreciate the interest.

Retrophile

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey there, Salam. I gave the demo a pretty thorough playthrough. Here's a breakdown of my thoughts so far:

[Pros]

- Logo design is great.

- Map design and layout is very good overall.

- The dialogue seems pretty organic on the whole, and provides exposition without beating you over the head with it.

- I dig the use of emoticons during dialogue. It's a great way to visualize the tempo of conversation and character reaction without spamming the ellipses.

- The basis for Gideon's questline is the more interesting of the two available in the demo, even with the lack of completed content in his section. If handled properly, his storyline provides the player with just enough direction to sustain the illusion of free will without wading through thousands of cutscenes.

- Arrangement of the music is great on the whole. The tracks are cohesive in their use together, and they are conducive to their respective instances.

- Both the in-game menus and dialogue do a good job of explaining the character classes, skills, and items that have unique, in-canon names.

- Crafting is simple and efficient (thus far).

[Cons]

- There are a few instances where you can see the dark void along the edges of the maps. This is fine for interiors like the inn and dungeon, but when it occurs outdoors, like the city of Baux and specifically the wilderness region in the northeast section, it makes the world feel incomplete (which it is) and inorganic (which it shouldn't).

- As I stated above, the map detailing is great, but it also brings the serious lack of interactivity into sharp relief.

- The cemetery in Baux, though a great concept [see second note in misc section], is really cluttered and thanks to the incomplete hit detection is needlessly difficult to navigate.

- Enemies need rebalancing. If you'd like a few suggestions, let me know. Until then, you asked for feedback, not a creative director :p

- Okay, I'll make one blatant suggestion: Zombies shouldn't be able to evade. Point blank. The attacking player always faces the possibility of missing, but come on, they're corpses. This isn't 28 Days Later, and their skin is fallin' off like osso bucco - they ain't evading **** x]

[Misc]

- The canon the game is based on seems pretty well developed. It just doesn't seem like it has transitioned into gameplay quite yet. Exposition in text form is fine, but the best stories can be told through gameplay. I'd be interested to see how drastically each of the cultures in the canon differ by experiencing them firsthand.

- The cemetery is a great concept that should be expanded upon. Being able to read the headstones and locate the survivors of the deceased in town or about the gameworld would do a great deal toward making everything more cohesive and organic. It could even be used as an adventure foil, opening up the possibility for

some side content.

- Is the test in Claude's intro meant to be "trails" or "trials"? It's spelled both ways a few times, I'm dyslexic and it's drivin me nuts. :p

- Consider adding a transition when the player moves between maps. As it is, the music and screen snap one to the next so fast I get perceptual whiplash.

- I like the soldiers and the commander in the castle district. Could be a chance to inject some humor, as each row is out of step with one another. Perhaps the commander's just been assigned some new recruits that redefine the term "hapless".

And as a aside, don't be afraid to use some demo magic in future updates. Haven't completed a house's interior map? Try a locked door, or maybe a hostile recluse of a resident who yells out a dialogue about solicitors when the player attempts to enter. Have a path that has no destination yet? Have a dialogue pop up where the character needs to hang out and handle some unfinished business. It's always better to nudge the player away from incomplete sections rather than leave them out in the open.

On the whole, a promising start. Keep up the good work, Salam. I look forward to a demo update. :]

MyLordRobinson

Emperor of Carnelia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I greatly approve of you willingness to help me! Give me some advice, for the love of God GIVE ME ADVICE IN BALANCING MY ENEMIES!

EDIT: Also, it's not more of a Demo than it is of just what I have done at the moment. Once you switch to Gideon you're really on your own, and many venues aren't linked up yet- on purpose of course.

Retrophile

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here's a basic breakdown of the Rule of Thumb system I built for balancing enemy encounters. Don't freak out at the mass of text here, it's actually a fairly simple process. I'll use your game as an example to help make things easier.

Start by setting the damage output of your player character at first level (in your case, Claude during his trials). In your preliminary stat build, use basic math. I mean double digit basic. As an example, let's place Claude's damage output at first level in the 3-5 range.

Frontline Fighter (Claude) Damage Output: [1.5] 3-5 [7]

The numbers in the boxes are for an expanded formula that includes damage alteration for critical strike [7] and botched attacks [1.5]. How you use the botch rule is up to you. But remember, don't overpower your player character, you want them to use skills, items, and spells wisely, and you won't be adding those numbers in until you've finished balancing the basic melee combat. Otherwise, the player will spam the attack button through every fight and become bored.

Next, let's set Claude's Hit Points for first level. If Claude were fighting himself, how many strikes would it take for True Claude to down Pseudo-Claude? I would say, for example, that it would take Claude 7 to 8 strikes unopposed to down himself. Therefore, let us multiply 8 strikes by the low-level damage output [3] to find his base Hit Points.

Frontline Fighter (Claude) Base HP: 24

Now, take a look at your first standard enemy type, which in your case would be "slime". When designing an enemy for an encounter, always think of them as another player, and build the fight from both sides. This will allow you to create more balanced, paced, and organic enemy encounters. Now, as a player, how many strikes would you expect it would take for you as a first level frontline fighter to take down a low-level slime in a one-on-one encounter? Personally, I would expect to take down a slime in two to three strikes. So, let's say three strikes from the low end of your damage output [3] will slay the slime, and two strikes from your upper damage output [5] will also slay the slime. Three strikes at low impact will total 9 points of damage, and two from the high end will total 10 points of damage.

Before we set the slime's hit points, here's another thing to consider: Critical strike. As a player, would you expect the slime to fall after a critical strike? I would say a critical strike would put the slime at critical health, say 1-2 points from death. So for the sake of example, lets set the slime at 8 HP. That way, it takes three weak strikes, two strong attacks, or a critical strike to hobble and any other attack that makes contact to down a slime in one-on-one at first level.

Enemy "Slime" Base HP: 8

Now, let's check things out from the slime's point of view. Again, in a one-on-one with Claude, how many uninterrupted strikes would you expect it to take in order to down the kid? Personally, I'd see my slimy self knocking Claude's head off after a minimum of say 8 blows and a maximum of about 12. So, let's take the value of Claude's HP we set earlier (24), and divide that by minimum acceptable strikes (8) and the result is 3. As this is a minimum of acceptable strikes, let's set three as the Slime's critical strike value. If we divide Claude's HP by the maximum number of strikes (12), the result is 2. So:

Enemy "Slime" Damage Output: [.7] 2-2.5 [3]

Now the basic encounter is taking shape. From here, you can give Claude one or two additional skills to aid him in combat, while giving the slime one skill with which to surprise Claude. Claude may have his Fencing skill as he does in the game, and perhaps a defensive or buff skill, such as the crest he carries around. In the Slime's case, why not give it the chance to inflict an ailment with it's standard attack. You could vary the ailment depending on the variation of Slime involved. For instance, a Green Slime could inflict a modest poison attack that bleeds 1-2 additional hit points over two to three rounds, while the Red Slime could inflict burning damage, and the Blue Slime could use cold to slow an attacker (Dex or Agility down) or even freeze them if the strike is critical (character is skipped for one round).

However, in regard to MP skill balancing, I would suggest that the players receive a point or two additional MP for every successful attack, and perhaps 4-5 additional MP for every enemy they down. And I'm using the term MP in regard to skills, not spells. Characters using skills should be find new vigor when an attack lands or an enemy falls, while a spell user should need to wait to build their magical charge or buff their mana level with an item. During the demo, I found that Salam's MP was fantastic, while the other two characters were struggling to put any kind of chain together.

From the base damage between Claude and the Slime, you could expand by creating base HP and damage levels from the other two characters, based on comparison with Claude. The same could go for finding values for the Bat and Zombie by comparing them with the Slime and then running encounters with the player characters.

When you're finished setting your preliminary stat build, you can then make it more dynamic and adjustable by multiplying every stat by a single value as a rule of thumb. For the sake of simple math, let's choose 10 (though you can also multiply by say 8, 12, or even 12.35 if you're feeling fancy). So, as an example:

Claude - HP: 240 - Attack Damage: [15] 30-50 [70] - Dual Strike [30-40 x2] - Family Crest [Negate Damage 10-20 Points]

Enemy "Blue Slime" - HP: 80 - Attack Damage: [7] 20-25 [30] - Cold [Damage Enemy Speed, Freeze on Critical]

From here, you can move forward by creating base values for your other player characters by comparing them to Claude. Don't be afraid to slightly imbalance player characters a bit with skills or spells, but make them comparable when it comes to base damage and HP. You can do the same for your enemies (like the other Slimes, the Bat, and the Zombie) by comparing them to the Blue Slime. Then feel free to playtest the encounters and tweak the expanded HP, Attack, MP, and skill values to your liking. Don't forget to give weak enemy characters a boost in stats or numbers when there are multiple player characters involved. Otherwise the player will easily overwhelm his opposition.

As a final note for this long-ass post, you can also tweak your enemy strengths and weaknesses based on the pacing of your game. I use the levels Prologue, Greenhorn, Apprentice, Journeyman, Master, and Legend. For Prologue I start off by making the enemies 6%-15% less powerful than normal; Greenhorn 0%-5% less powerful than normal; Apprentice 0%-5% more powerful; Journeyman 6%-12% more powerful; Master 13%-20% more powerful; and Legend 21%-50% more powerful, but I only use Legend for very important NPCs that I don't want the player fighting, but give them the freedom to engage anyway, or for secret bosses or engaging deities. I prefer to use alteration by Geography, meaning the wilderness around the starting town would be Greenhorn-level, while the plains beyond the wilderness would be Apprentice, the misty mountains on the trail to the Temple of Legends would be master, and the Monks within the temple would be Legend. You really really shouldn't fight the monks, but if you're going to be an rear end in a top hat about it, feel free x]

Of course, these are just some of my general Rules of Thumb. The most important thing you can do as a developer is playtest, tweak, and playtest some more. That's how you find the greatest balance.

MyLordRobinson

Emperor of Carnelia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is really, really great advice and I'll update my stats as soon as possible. Why don't you make a tutorial here on the forums? This is brilliant!

bassfire

Newbie Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I agree with Salam. This should definitely be a tutorial.

/ontopic

Also, Salam, I'll try out your demo as soon as I can. I'm setting up a Ubuntu partition on my laptop for coding right now but when it's done I'll download the demo and give it a whirl. :)

MyLordRobinson

Emperor of Carnelia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks Bass.

@Retrofire , what do I do about awarding exp to the player? I want some bit of grindage when it comes to playing, but I want the amount of exp and gold to be significant, or at least, worth the battles.

Any suggestions?

Retrophile

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Haha, thank you kindly. I was actually planning on turning this into a tutorial, but as you were the first person to ask for advice, Salam, I figured I'd lay down some concepts specific to your situation before running my mouth in the tutorials forum.

I'm checking out the (surprisingly lenient) guidelines for posting in the tutorials section. Once I've rewritten the tutorial for general purpose use, thrown in some expanded information, and cut it up into spoiler sections for easy reference, I'll post it over in the tutorial forums.

EDIT: And Salam, in terms of rewarding XP to the player, you could set the XP levels the same way you set the HP and damage level for the slime. If you're a level one character, how many Slimes would you expect it to take you to reach level 2? Ten? Twelve? For example, if it takes you 100XP to reach level two, and you expect 10 Slimes would just about do it, then award the player 10XP per Slime. This may not seem like much when dividing the XP between three players, but award additional points for more powerful enemies (like the Zombie) and add additional instances of the Slime into your encounters if you need to speed up leveling a bit. You could even put a spin on it by raising your XP level requirements, and give the player a multiplier for using their skills and spells wisely or by mixing up their tactics. As always, the two most important parts of balancing encounters are exploring and playtesting.

bassfire

Newbie Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Haha, thank you kindly. I was actually planning on turning this into a tutorial, but as you were the first person to ask for advice, Salam, I figured I'd lay down some concepts specific to your situation before running my mouth in the tutorials forum.

I'm checking out the (surprisingly lenient) guidelines for posting in the tutorials section. Once I've rewritten the tutorial for general purpose use, thrown in some expanded information, and cut it up into spoiler sections for easy reference, I'll post it over in the tutorial forums.
If you needs a banner/userbar, let me know. I make decent ones. :) (I made all the ones in my signature, except the Silentium one)

Also, Salam, I can't download your demo. :( Not because of anything on your end, but because I keep getting a network error on my end. It always does this to me.

MyLordRobinson

Emperor of Carnelia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A userbar would be awesome to have people show off their support for my studio! Also, let's make sure that you can actually download the demo- I had refreshed the file on my dropbox.

bassfire

Newbie Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A userbar would be awesome to have people show off their support for my studio! Also, let's make sure that you can actually download the demo- I had refreshed the file on my dropbox.
Re-DLing as I type.

Message me and we'll talk about that userbar.

EDIT: Download is good. Will test tomorrow (later today) as it's 01:58 here and I have to be up by 06:00.

Developous

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Found a location glitch. Fix the arcannum near the beginning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I like Iron Maiden.
Benku wrote on Magnus0808's profile.
Hey man you helped me out a long time ago with a plugin i was wondering if you can help me out one more time since its literally the last thing i need help with if not is cool but id figured id ask you one more soild.
Stream will be live shortly with a guest stream! Tonight, a new guest joins~ Feel free to drop by!
Finally told my boss I need a day off. Tomorrow will be my first in 23 days.
Kind of a goofy question but has the pandemic inspired you in any way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magidonsa