Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Itch_banner.png

Winner of the 2020 Spooktober Spooktacular Game Jam
Free download on Itch.io and Steam!​

Isabel's just moved into a new home, but it turns out it's haunted by a ghost!

Should she be afraid? Or should she try to be nice to the ghost and befriend it? Or maybe she could even turn the tables on it and drive it out of the house!

The outcome of this short, non-scary and hopefully funny adventure game depends on the items you find and the choices you make. Multiple endings - which may be happy, sad, heartwarming, or amusing - available.

Playtime

About 20-30 minutes for one playthrough.

Notes

This is not a horror game, though it was made for the horror-themed Spooktober Spooktacular Game Jam. The game has a ghost and a couple of allusions to violence and death.

The idea of a ghost whose reaction to you depends on how you treat it and a couple scenes in this game were loosely inspired by The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde, one of my favorite short stories.

Links (Windows version only)

Itch.io (released Nov 1, 2020): https://seaphoenix.itch.io/the-ghost-cage
Steam (released Oct 11, 2021):
Trailer

Screenshots
House_small.png
GhostBoo_small.png
Treehouse_small.png
Bloodstain_small.png
HauntedHouse_small.png

Credits
Game engine: RPG Maker MZ © 2020 Gotcha Gotcha Games Inc./Yoji Ojima

Plugins: Community Lighting (Terrax, iVillain, Aesica, Eliaquim, Alexandre, Nekohime1989), Team VisuStella (Yanfly, Arisu, Olivia, Irina), Moghunter, ScSWinter, Galv, Hudell, Greenheart Games Pty. Ltd., 湿度ケイ

Graphics: RPG Maker FES Resource Pack © Kadokawa, Inc., Published by: Degica Co., LTD, Resource creators: Kadokawa, Inc.

Icons: Avery

Music: J.C. Brickston, Gotcha Gotcha Games

Playtesters: Paul, TeknoKyo Customs, Sillyshoes

Font: Salsa by John Vargas Beltrán

Last edited:

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It took me a long time to get to it (almost a year!) but I finally made a trailer and a Steam page for this game!

Steam (free download, to be released on Oct 13, 2021):
There are a couple of small bugs that need fixing and I might look into adding Steam achievements, but otherwise the Steam release will fundamentally be the same game. If you don't want to wait for the Steam release, you can download it now for free on Itch.io: https://seaphoenix.itch.io/the-ghost-cage!

Saireau

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh wow, this looks really good! :) Very polished. Good job.

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is so cute. I'm looking forward to it! :)

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Ghost Cage is now available as a free game on Steam! For the most part, the gameplay is the same as the game jam version, but I've added achievements (which will help you keep track of which ending you've unlocked), a new drawing option for the bloodstain in the house, more outcomes related to working for either Ernest or Basil, and other minor changes. The full changelog is below.

achievements.png

The Ghost Cage is not a horror game, but I decided to release it on Steam now because October seems to be an appropriate month for a game featuring a ghost (though it's not a scary one!), and also as a homage to Oscar Wilde, whose birthday was October 16th. The idea of a ghost whose reaction to you depends on how you treat it and a couple scenes in this game were loosely inspired by Wilde's humorous short story The Canterville Ghost.

I've updated the version on Itch.io as well. Unfortunately, due to how achievements are tracked and other additions, savefiles from the old (game jam) version on Itch.io are not compatible with the updated version. Sorry about that!

Here's the free Steam download!
Changelog:
  • Achievements are now available!
  • A new drawing option for the bloodstain in the house has been added.
  • The player may be offered a full-time job, given enough past work experience.
  • Options for fullscreen, graphics stretching, and graphics scaling added.
  • Screen resolution increased to 1280x720.
  • Default audio volume set to 60%, and all audio was normalized.
  • Minor text changes and bug fixes.
  • Savefiles are now in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\theghostcage\Savefiles.

CrasheR

PastaLaVista
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really liked this story. I was able to free ghost in my first playthrough. I couldn't make myself to be mean for him. He was so cute! Just like your game.:LZScheeze:

I played it full on livestream for polish rpg maker folks. You may not understand it, but it's always good to know someone launched your work and liked it! And I'm not the only one who liked your game there in Poland. Well done! :b

Last edited:

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for letting me know, @CrasheR, and glad you liked it! You got what I consider to be the "true" ending so that's great too on your first playthrough. One of the things I like best about gamedev is seeing people from all over the world play my games, so thanks again. :smile:

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played The Ghost Cage, and I really enjoyed the experience, it's something simple but made in a good way. I got the Team Spirit ending and I really did enjoy it!

Congratulations!

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for letting me know, @gabrieldiastche - glad you enjoyed it! Initially I didn't have a special cutscene for the Team Spirit ending (some of the endings have cutscenes, some don't), but the majority of my playtesters got that ending so I decided to add in the final scene with the bloodstain, which I think makes it more rewarding. :smile:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I don't really have any neat updates today about how I screwed up programming... But if you want to observe the intensenes of me programming, then you can check out my stream :)
New Weapons.gif
No more spam from me today, I promise! Just wanted to upload this, people have been giving me feedback that my weapon sprites (which were RTP) clashed badly with my battlers for ages, so today I finally took the plunge and updated them! Really happy with how they came out :D :D
So Facebook fraudulently took money from me. They even went through my PayPal accounts to find a card that had the money on it. Thinking about deleting my Facebook account because this doesn't happen on twitter, not even close.
Today the 2nd part of the RPGMakergame "A Thief's voyage" came out.

Go show DutchPowerCreations some love.
love it when you forget to put a certain thing in the movement route and suddenly a character starts spinning at 10000 rpm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xWildSlicerx