The Grand JRPG Survey ~ I'm an aspiring developer and I want to know what you (dis)like about JRPGs!

Leaufai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In this short survey (5-10 min) you will be asked a few questions about your opinions on certain aspects of JRPGs. As an aspiring RPG developer (only as a hobby at the moment) this information will help me determine what kind of games people like to see. As this is information that would be interesting to a lot of people, after a few weeks I will post the results on reddit.com/r/jrpg and rpgmakerweb.com forums.

Your data will of course handled anonymously. Thank you so much if you decide to fill out this survey!

Here is the link to the survey:
https://goo.gl/forms/IIM0LDCmi64ZPXwm1

EDIT: The survey is now closed, so that I can focus on analysing the results. I will let you know what I came up with in a few weeks.

Last edited:

MMMm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
I completed it as well. Good luck with your survey.

Leaufai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks both of you. Responses are coming in from Reddit and this forum in larger volumes than I could've hoped for. By the end I think we'll have a pretty insightful set of data, which I will of course post here.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There, finished it for you.

Though, to be quite honest... I'm not sure why there's even a distinction. For me, RPG's are RPG's...

ABandit

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
I filled in the survey as well. I'm curious about the results!
(Also, the first question is the hardest. I need to choose one?! :stickytongue:)

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think that some of the questions (like "which features/qualities are important" or "how long should a JRPG be") are highly dependent on the game and its goals, with some answers being absolutely right for some JRPGs and completely wrong for other JRPGs.

Having said that, maybe it will still be interesting) to see which aesthetics of play people naturally gravitate to (especially interesting will be whether there is a high correlation between peoples' favorite series and what they think is "important" in a JRPG).

Took the survey, and it will be a pleasure to check out the results when you release them! :)

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I did the survey and are looking forward to seeing the results!

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Done. You've covered a lot of aspects in this, ranging from story settings to game components to gameplay mechanics, so that's good. I came to realise that a lot of the staples of JRPGs as far as mechanics go are so overdone (grinding, random encounters, job system, etc). I don't think I've given a score of 5 to any of them.
Would be interesting to see the final results. :)

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
First question, only one answer possible? :kaolivid:
This was indeed an interesting survey.
Looking forward to the results.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Filled in. Good questions and, above all, good choice of answers.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Filled as well, although I mostly played a lot more WRPGs than the J counterpart. So if everyone here struggle to a pick choice for the first question, me here not sure what to pick.

chantz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
franch
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Good luck in your investigation, I love polls and I am especially curious to know what is the aesthetics of the game that interests most people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I cloned an event in MV today.
Just got two custom tracks for my game. Things are shaping up nicely. :)
Remember, life is sh*t. But it will difinitely be less sh*t in the future! Stay happy everyone ^^ ...*continues to die inside*
Why is it that every time I take a short break from here, we get a new moderator?
Stream will be going live early today as I will be working on some music before I transition to art! When I switch to art, I will be focusing on making a new stream avatar~ Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boredguy851