The Grumpy Knight (and the crisis in Helena's Kingdom)

Discussion in 'Arum Games' started by Indrah, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Elsa, a Death Knight working in the mainland, returns home to Helena's Kingdom to "save" it from monsters...But all is not as it seems.
    For one, the monsters don't attack people; they just make themselves a nuisance. And they will only fight females.
    Join Elsa as she sets out to defeat all the monsters on the island and discover what is it that the monsters are planning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Made for the VX Ace Lite cook off contest.
    -Boss rush gameplay. All enemies are powerful one-time encounters.
    -No grinding for items or experience. Each of the four powerful bosses unlocks a new level and items are freely replenished.
    -Choose from 10 supporting party members, each with a unique skill set and mechanics.
    -3 different endings and new game unlockables.
    -Humorous characters and lighthearted storyline.
    -Complete game takes around two hours (Seeing only one ending. You mileage may also vary).
    -Online achievements.
    -This game is part of the Arum universe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    General gameplay
    Due to the limitations of the Lite system there are a few things that may seem strange or lack explanation. Here are a few tips on how the gameplay works.

~The EX System~
    Basically, EX is a percentage based damage boost. At 100EX you do 200% damage, and at 999EX you do 1099% damage.

~Getting Stronger~
    Everytime you beat a major boss, go see the queen to level up.
    You should also speak to the maid to trigger night time (psst, this is critical for two endings).
    The guard who originally blocks the treasury later sells Elsa's weapon upgrades.

Character Specific Helps
    ~Elsa~
    Elsa regenerates 1 rune of each kind once every 2 turns upto her maximum.
    Using a 1 rune skill has a 25% chance to generate a death rune.
    Using a 2 rune skill has a 50% chance to generate a death rune.
    Using a 4 rune skill has a 100% chance to generate a death rune.
    Death runes cannot generate other death runes.
    Elsa can start with more runes when you upgrade her equipment.

~Tira Misu~
    You can see how many times you can use her skills in the description.

~Ruby~
    Remember that 40% of 400% DMG is 160% DMG and 20% of 800% DMG is 160% DMG and are still therefore better than attack.

~Carmen~
    Steal unlocks a new skill for Carman, out of 4 possibile ones. She loses them at the end of combat, except Death God's Scythe, which she loses after using.

~Victoria~
    Nothing specific to note.

~Alan~
    From level 2 onwards, Guard is optimal (esp against a single foe). His level 3 attack can easily reach the damage limit.

~Evvy~
    Thorn damage is displayed in the skill description.

~Argos~
    His tanking move is also a healing move, so he is fully healed at the end of the turn but loses 10 MAXHP. He is restored after the battle.

~Elias~
    Slow to start, but once set up provides great support until his illusionary power is about to run out, at which point let the enemy have it.

~Garron~
    Crossbow Bolt might be better than attack but remember it leaves you reloading for a turn.
    Secret Characters
    Victoria & Elias: Talk to both during the day, then sleep after a big boss at any time but before the final boss phase.

Carmen: After speaking to her in the prison, speak to the regular priest, then Alan, then the maid. She will tell you the last clue.
    Specific Bosses
    ~Trapchest~
    Just look in your inventory :'( my poor puzzle boss.

~Merfolk~
    When you are drowning, please notice you have new drowning related skills.

~Bladewings~
    This is one of the tougher boss fights, make sure you've levelled up and perhaps pick characters who do a lot of damage in the first couple of turns, like Ruby.

~Slime~
    Don't forget he can 100% heal in a single move as well!

~Penultimate Boss~
    You've fought these 3 before. Remember the 1st one heals and also can double your damage each turn. Then don't forget the 2nd one is also really dangerous. 3rd one only counters, so leave till last.

~Final Boss~
    The actual final boss doesn't join the fight until he is injured, so take out those attendants first!
    [​IMG]

Developers:
    Indrah (Writing, mapping, scene eventing, misc. graphical work)
    Fomar0153 (Gameplay work: database, combat eventing, balancing)
    Scinaya (Graphics making: custom faces, event images, graphical edits)

Other resources
    Etolier (Original faces, battle backdrops, battlers)
    Hannya (Music)
    RPG Maker DS Resource Pack (Tilesets, sprites)

[​IMG]
    The game was made in a two week deadline for the VC Ace Lite cook off contest.
    Being made within the Lite limitations, there were a lot of things we could not pull off smoothly, because there is no script support, only ten events per map, twenty maps total, and a bunch of other stuff.
    Please keep that in mind when playing, since many of the things that may come to mind as odd gameplay choices are not us, but Lite being a complete evil lovable XDUpdate! The recent version has been revamped a bit and we removed the ace limitations (as well as adding a few extras) so that's taken care of. Enjoy ;3

Lastly: please, please give us your feedback!
    What bosses did you find harder? What was your best team? Did you get all the endings? And if so, which was your favourite?
    (When talking about endings or plot events, please put the text within a spoiler and put a warning before it. They’re supposed to be a surprise ;3)

[​IMG]
    Also if you want to support us, paste this in your signature!

[img=http://i.imgur.com/DUffFil.png][​IMG]
    [8th June 2013] Huge update, click for changelog.
    [17th February 2013] Finished game.
    [18th February 2013] Posted game page and download.
    [19th February 2013] Uploaded new version of download with important fix.
    [17th April 2013] Added support bar.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
    Inyu-sama, Shinma, AlephNull and 13 others like this.
  2. Xenophil 2.0

Xenophil 2.0 Tutorialist =3 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I really wish i could play this . ___ . It looks awesome, i really liek the graphics (mainly battlers)  and the maps looks fantastic e3e curse my horrible internet!

Fomar0153 likes this.
  3. EvilEagles

EvilEagles Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    best

Fomar0153 and Scinaya like this.
  4. Pie4aPie

Pie4aPie Developer/Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Spent some time with the game and so far its really great. Lots of fun. Faces and emosets are great during conversations. Got my ass handed to me by the Monster out by Evvy (who is my favorite character so far). Took out the kitchen boss as well (it was a close one). Can't wait to finish up first playthrough tomorrow. I've got to sleep now.

Fomar0153 likes this.
  5. gruberik

gruberik Vein of Stars Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Love the game so far! Very user friendly and easy to play. How did you make it so the player can travel to nearby rooms so quickly without a regular transfer event? Also, are you using specific script for the dialog/text window...they look great! Can't wait to play more.

Fomar0153 likes this.
  6. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Everyone hold the horses!
    A kind soul found a really sneaky and nasty bug: if you don't beat the last boss on your first try and just cme back, he will glitch out at the ending.
    I'm uploading a fixed version now, will post in a moment.
    If you just can't wait, simply beat him THE FIRST TIME you see him (if you get defeated just reset and load a save, don't walk back).

Edit:
    Download has been replaced with fixed version. Those that downloaded the game before this post, please redownload and replace the files (you can use the same save files). Sorry for the trouble m(_ _)m

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  7. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for all the kind words (or word EE) so far. We're really glad enjoying it. Anyway Indrah you need to finish dragons, or else my diabolical plans for Arum Assemble will never happen!

8. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Scinaya and Fomar0153 like this.
  9. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Please finish it this time!

Really enjoyed it, a few more opinions would be nice.

You should be able to solo the book (if you want), though you might want the items from the buttler first.

Also the game was made in RPG Maker VX Ace Lite which meant I couldn't go script crazy :( tell me if you can tell.

10. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I could tell, somewhat. It's actually quite easy to forget that this was done in Lite. Mainly because I feel reminiscent of Dead Moon Night when I play this.

And yeah, I actually did solo the book, though I thought I just did an impossible feat.

That's in the second part I just uploaded.

Really enjoying the game so far, though. I feel the humor is rather innocent and it doesn't really try too hard to be funny which is great. I love how differently each of the characters work as well, and the dialogue is well written for each of the characters. A few grammar/spelling errors here and there (or maybe my misreading).

Scinaya and Fomar0153 like this.
  11. Pie4aPie

First Language:
    English
    Here's the official word from me (for whatever that's worth LOL)

A sheep sandwich if you will.

First off. I have to commend you guys on the incredible work in such a short amount of time. I know what I am going through on my own game to have achieved this in that amount of time is nothing short of spectacular.

The sheep in the middle of this sandwich is as such: (in no real order)

A couple very minor spelling and grammar mistakes. The one that was most obvious was a boss fight where the word attack was spelled “arttack”. It did not seem intentional.

Wish there would have been enough new weapons for levels 3-4 to buy a new weapon each level. I settled on (6) ice (6) bone because I felt that gave me the best damage output and protection balance.

I did not have any motivation to experiment with the many Status item drops. Once I determined which was most appropriate for my characters, I just stuck with those.

I thought the (4) ghost boss fights were a little easy considering how tough the other battle were, but I also thought this might have been by design. I would have preferred them to be a little more challenging or maybe require some experimenting with party make up for success. Especially because there was no penalty for losing a battle.

That is until the very last battle. I tried for about an hour, with 4 different party makeups and was not able to beat the last boss. This was very frustrating. I felt like after I got his two attendants downed that the prince just cheap shotted me a couple turns and I could never keep up with the heals. I gave up.
    Now for the positives

Ice cannon Is a beast skill. Loved it. I enjoyed Elsa's skills the most of all characters with Evvy's coming in a close second.

Battler and battleback artwork is top notch. I was excited to enter every battle not only to see the next challenge, but t also take in the great character design.

Regular battles were balanced very nicely once I got the hang of the battle system and pace. I always had to stay on my toes and felt a huge sense of accomplishment after most of them. I loved the mechanics that make me choose to carry on or spend the turn removing a status (like drowning)

My best party combo was Esla, Garron, Evvy, and Carmen. I loved the crossbow ability and the strategy involved with a 1 turn reload. I also loved the steal ability but never used the Steal EX or Steal HP abilities. I really liked how evvy’s abilities morphed between healing and damage, and healing leaves saved my ass more than once when things were getting out of control.

Final battle with the (4) ?Ghosts? was a treat, I about sheep myself when all my party was dropped to 8HP on the first round. I knew I had a battle on my hands at that point.

Favorite lines “Oh no, there’s one more thing”, “You’re full of BS” That made me laugh pretty hard.
    Bravo to you all on this effort. I give it a solid 4 out of 5 and would love to see what you could have done with this concept without the time and software restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
    Fomar0153 likes this.
  12. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    I'll take that as high praise. Also just watched part 3 keep it up :)
    We were at breaking point by the end and very sleep deprived.
    Sounds like you were using one of the level 4 weapons. Glad you found Elsa's defensive skills useful, I ended up using the 12 ice rune weaopon.
    That's more or less what I was going for. Originally I was going to do DMN style mods but I ran out of time so I just needed a quick system.
    It's because you had to fight them in the 4 vs your party, they were nerfed soo many times. I personally think losing a battle is punishment enough these days.
    I set up for the final boss spent lots of turns guarding to get my EX up and then unleashed my best moves.
    Elsa was designed to be very versatile, then most other characters could fulfil two roles. My favourites were Elsa, Tira Misu, Evvy, Ruby and Elias.
    Yeah there a few bosses like that, two of the secret bosses give you entirely new skill sets.
    I have to admit I never tried that combination when play testing. That attack can't actually kill but it is meant to be a shock to the system.
    Each of the party members would have had dialogue with one enemy and something of an epilogue after the ending and in battle most would have had a few more skills. Also similar to DMN characters would have had mods but alas time did not permit it.
    Anyway glad you enjoyed the game.

13. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey everyone. Libby noticed a pretty stupid bug we accidentally..uh...
    I accidentally deleted the fix Fomar made for it. MY BAD! ;^;

It's not actually a BAD thing to players, more like a cheat OTL the queen will automatically raise your level to four (the maximum) after defeating the first powerful boss. This makes the second and third bosses a bit on the easy side.

We'll be fixing and reuploading the game soom. Please tell us if you notice any other bugs!

@Appointed Pie: Aw, you gave up at the last boss? Have you checked out the hint section above? It may help, and I consider the endings to be amongst the best scenes XD

@mctrickY: Thanks for the LPs! Like fomi says, as developers we'd wish for more feedback, but I won't complain about having people actually PLAY the game XD

@gruberik: For the trasnsitons; just set the Transfer Event's fade to: NONE. That's all. THe window and text are purely default, ace Lite does not allow scripts.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
    gruberik likes this.
  14. Pie4aPie

First Language:
    English
    I've got a save just prior. I'll D/L the update and try again with the Hint :D . Now I must see the end scene(s)!

Fomar0153 likes this.
  15. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    So I played and enjoyed the game (or did I? dundunDUUUUUn!) and ended up LPing it. So, here, have a link to the playlist. Just an FYI - I swear a lot so if you're in the workplace or a kid, don't watch~ (I mean a LOT)

Indrah likes this.
  16. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    My final boss strategy is:

Don't attack the final boss. Kill the attendants he won't attack until he's injured (weird mind control side effect... other name is a nerf).

Then stall/charge attacks.

Elsa: Wait until her runes are charged.

Alan: use the normal attack to make sure you only hit attendants. This still generates power for ult move. Then while everyone else is setting up, use items.

Tira Misu: Stock Lemon Meringue Shurikens

Victoria: Use the +10EX a turn buff while stalling. Setup for final attack orders.

Elias: Use phantom healers, hopefully you'll build up enough of them to unleash a lot of damage when you detonate them.

Carman: Steal while you wait, you never know you might get a death god's scythe.

Ruby: Wait for gems to recharge.

Evvy: Plant that tree and wait for 1000%, don't use thorns.

Argos: N/A

Garron: N/A

17. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

The most important question obviously is.

Why so many tentacles?

Second question. How your game is so good for something made in two weeks?!?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
  18. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    By doing nothing else and giving up that extra hour in bed.

19. Natelus Densier

Natelus Densier Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm going to give this game a play.  Being a contest entry, I expect it'll be just the short game to get me back into playing rpg maker games!

Fomar0153 likes this.
  20. gruberik

gruberik Vein of Stars Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So jealous that you guys have time to dedicate two whole weeks to just working on a game...