The Grumpy Knight (and the crisis in Helena's Kingdom)

Discussion in 'Arum Games' started by Indrah, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is this thing called having a life we do too, you know... XD

It just means we sink the FREE TIME we can get on the game, not that the game is our only thign going on.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
    gruberik likes this.
  2. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    We just planned a game that we could make in that time with the amount of free time we have.

Indrah spent the two weeks juggling commissions and I work so I had to use all my evenings to get it done in time.

Still now I have some free time and can finally start watching/playing my birthday presents.

Shinma and gruberik like this.
  3. punram

punram Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    An Indrah and Fomar game? With RMDS graphics? I'm sold.

I'll play this once I find some free time and let you know how it was  :D

Fomar0153 likes this.
  4. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Good stuff <3

Fomar0153 likes this.
  5. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes yes very yes *w*

*waits for feedback*

6. Apple

Apple Doodlin' crap 'til I die Veteran

And I've just finished it!!!~ It was so much fun fun fun \o\ Indra Formar you two are such good team and Scinaya your custom face was adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the true ending at the first playthrough <33 I swear I totally didn't see Dee being the final boss when I first met him (I even thought it was an arbitrary event that was played for laugh) but the next night I call on that immediately <33 The two of them were so cute and awkward and cute and romantic I went "Awwww" the whole time after I finish the boss battle <3
    Okay, the fangirling aside, the game was really fun and the skills are really creative. Elsa's skills are my favorite, although some characters I think were a lot more useful than others. I tried back and forth with different character combinations but these were my favorites (Sorry I can't rmb names because I rename them all >3<)

>> Elsa (6 Ice and 6 Blood)

>> Elsa's childhood victim, captain of guard

>> The gem appraiser

>> The gardener 

This setup works well for all battles. The final battle took awhile to figure out but basically all I did was killing the other two attendants and wait until everyone's done charging and spam the strongest attack against the boss. With high EX the boss should go down in one round >D But compared to the final battle, the one before that where you have to fight the four phantoms weren't as fun, because it was the same monsters all over again, with no different mechanics or skills :/

Oh yea, I'm pretty sure when I finished the second dungeon (or the third) and come back to level up, it said that my party was elevated to level 3 even though I was already level four. I didn't pay too much attention to that part but you should re-check that again just to be sure :'3

Anyway, the game was such a blast and I really enjoy it <3 I will probably pick it up again and try to get the special and normal ending just to see how it goes XD

Scinaya and Fomar0153 like this.
  7. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the feed, Apple, glad you enjoyd the game :3

Yes, the queen's level up event is sadly borked OTL I accidentaly broke the event after fomar initally fixed it. Now she just levels you up to 4 after the frist boss -.- (so youre basically overpowered for the second and third dungeons OTL)

8. SpeedySeat

SpeedySeat Catastrophic Psychopath Member

First Language:
    Danish
    I... Uh... Wow! I loved it, it's super fun!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2013
    Fomar0153 likes this.
  9. Liak

Liak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I just played the first ~10 minutes. Since the first minutes are always the most important ones, I wanted to drop by and let you know that I really enjoy everything and will continue to play. :) I'll give you a shout again once I'm done.

SpeedySeat and Fomar0153 like this.
  10. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    There are definitely tiers with the party members but most have their niche. The boss fight with all 4 does have a couple new mechanics like the eldest one covers the other two. But their health was usually depleted too quickly for it to be noticeable.
    Cool, who did you like best?
    Looking forward to it.

11. SpeedySeat

SpeedySeat Catastrophic Psychopath Member

First Language:
    Danish
    I believe Carmen was my favorite ^^!

Fomar0153 likes this.
  12. Liak

Liak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I just beat the game for the first time. Now I want to try to get all the endings and stuff. :D

Feedback so far: An amazingly fun game! I especially like the boss fights not taking forever and the interesting skill mechanics. :)

Critique: Either I couldn't figure out how to use him properly, or Argos is a little underpowered. At least I couldn't find any use for him. Apart from that, I have to say that the 4th boss is only a threat insofar that you can get stuck in the sleep state forever. I had to restart the fight. Maybe that's exactly what you guys wanted to do, but maybe not. I thought I report it. :)

Fomar0153 likes this.
  13. punram

punram Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Alright, done! Well, kind of. I haven't opened up the Special and True ending yet... but I'll get to it!  ;)

Anyways, here are some thoughts:

Story & Characters

+ The characters were all very likeable, and each one's relationship to Elsa was surprisingly well defined.
    + As I said with Dead Moon Night - I loved the humour and character of the dialogue, which again, flowed very naturally.
    + Hints towards past Arum games was a nice touch.

+ The story was structured very nicely, with variation of fights and multiple areas providing some refreshment.

+ Multiple endings adds more depth and replayability.

- Some of the character's motives felt a little unsteady, and some of their trades and talents were left a little unexplained - though I expected this

from a project made in such a short time.

- The actual storyline was rather simple, and didn't leave much in the way of excitement other than a few good twists towards the end. As I said, I haven't played all of the endings yet, so I can't fully elaborate on this.

7/10

Presentation

+ The mixture of Etolier faces and the DS tilesets worked very well, and created a cute but quirky tone.
    + The mapping was, as usual, very well done and areas were fun to explore and also memorable.
    + The battlers and battlebacks added even more to the lighthearted theme, and made battles as pretty as they were fun.

+ The choice of music was excellent, and it brought a certain charm to the game.

- Animations used in the battles and on the maps stood out a bit too much, since they're not fully pixel art.

- Some features like the windowskin felt a bit out of place. I couldn't help but feel the overall housestyle wasn't as polished and refined as much as DMN, though this could be due to the fact The Grumpy Knight takes place in a less uniformed setting - with DMN being very Halloween-y throughout.

8/10

Gameplay

+ The lack of grinding and the level up feature being granted rather than earned was quite refreshing.
    + A huge character roster brought a lot of variety.
    + Items had a lot more purpose this time.

+ Varied areas and scraps kept me on my toes, and provided me with a new challenge every time I entered one.
    + The length of the game felt very appropriate. It didn't drag on at all, but was still long enough to feel like a complete project.

- Some skills often missed for me, which was kind of annoying since I'd been saving up runes or such for them.
    - The inclusion of stat gains felt unnecessary since there's already a lot of buffs to choose from. I think that if they were a little more powerful, they could have had some more use.
    - While the roster was very worked upon, some characters still felt obsolete compared to others. For example, Argos seemed a little pointless since he didn't seem to do much damage and wasn't as tanky as Alan. I could be totally wrong in all these statements though  :guffaw:  let me know if I am!

7/10
    Total Score: 7/10 - "Great"

Keep in mind my score is based on the game alone, however. If i had to score it based on the time it took you to make it, I'd have given it a 10  :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
    Fomar0153 and Indrah like this.
  14. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Argos was at one time better than Alan but then I made Alan's tank move passive. If I'd had longer I think the natural evolution would have been to make Argos's tanking move into more of a mode that you toggled on and off, which would really have allowed him to both be the tank and heal at the same time. Which was my concept for him.

As for the 4th boss, she also gave you health degen which would have killed you eventually. She was largely my justification for status recovery items and skills.

Anyway really glad you enjoyed the game and thank you for the feedback it is much appreciated.

15. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wooo! BRAAAAINNNSS- I mean, feedbackkkk \*o*/

Thanks liak and specially balgardo. Them minireviews win my heart over ;A; That delicious feedback.

Honestly I'm pretty happy at the end product considering the sheer dastardly BS Lite imposes on you, coupled with the 2 week deadline that made things pretty fricking insane. I pretty much agree with many of your points, though some are new to me and I had never thought about them (windowskin not fitting and so on is somethign no one had commented on).

Anyway, thanks a million for taking the time for the review, it's immensely appreaciated ;A;

punram likes this.
  16. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    I was ninja'd

I like anti-grind philosophies. It was a shame Lite limited us to only 10 party members, this was influenced by me playing Chrono Cross before the contest, though I'd have struggled to make 45 characters in two weeks and keep them relatively varied :) .
    I've not heard of people complaining about accuracy before. I left everything to do with accuracy at the default except with a handful of skills which I made certain hit because no one wanted to wait 10 turns with Evvy and then miss.
    The stat boosting items were a last day replacement for personal mods which I didn't have time to implement. With the current damage formula a +5 stat boost is pretty noticeable.

Yeah Argos is pretty much the bottom of the bottom tier, mostly because Alan was just too good and Argos doesn't have the ability to be the sole healer in the party.

Thanks for the mini review it's always really great to get such informative feedback, if you have an account at RMN it'd be great if you could submit it as a review there for everyone to see.
    Once again thank you, really glad you enjoyed our game.

17. punram

punram Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No problem Fomar, it was a pleasure to play. I can see where you're coming from with the +5 stat gains now that I think about it - I think Dead Moon Night's use of the stat boosts put the impression that they would play a bigger roll on me.

I don't actually have an account on RMN, but I'll be making one soon on the account of me posting my project around. So yeah, I'll get around to it  BD

Fomar0153 likes this.
  18. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Well originally that slot was going to be for personal mods like in DMN but I didn't have time to make 20 personal mods on the last day.

So it joined the ranks of the cut content.

19. Liak

Liak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    The slip damage didn't kill me. I guess you just forgot to tick that in the options then. :)

EDIT: Oh. So the special ending overwrites the true one. :/ Well, well. Another playthrough!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  20. dw817

dw817 ◈ Senior Games Programmer ◈ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just have to comment. I LOVE the story in this. The dialogue is so rich and amusing. Truly TGK heroine reminds me of my friend, Chris, who is like this every day, "I'm surrounded by idiots !" Absolutely classic. And I'm very impressed how each character has unique combat attributes, many of which I've never seen in any other RPG before. Big points on creativity here !

Original monsters, original portraits, & unless I'm mistaken original sprites too. I don't know what the default music for RMVX is but I suspect you have original compositions in there too !

You are showing the incredible creative power of RMVX which from your game seen is more versatile and amazing than I originally suspected. It's a pleasure to play !

VERY WELL DONE !!  :rock-left:   :rock-right:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
    Fomar0153 and Shinma like this.