The Grumpy Knight (and the crisis in Helena's Kingdom)

Discussion in 'Arum Games' started by Indrah, Feb 19, 2013.

1. dw817

dw817 ◈ Senior Games Programmer ◈ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yea ! I got the SPECIAL ENDING. Potatoes rule !

What a neat little game ! Gotta play it again now to find the other endings ...

Suggestions ? Clearly this was not a game where you gained Experience points or Goldpieces (near as I could tell). It followed a rather original premise of relying on the player to learn and take advantage of all the NPCs that joined in combat. I have found my favorites and they are strong contenders.

Only when you got to the boss stage was the player raised to level 4.

I might suggest you add at least one item to recover all hits for players. I know the gem-lady could do that but it takes like 6-8 moves of combat to regenerate that one effect.

The combats were pure, by having a fixed number of items every single time it assured the player had to ration their resources in order to maximize benefit in a fight. This is a very laid back combat too, really quite nice, like Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. If you lose you're not even warped back home except on the final boss, and can always retreat to replenish your supplies.

You might mention a few things in the game (work it in the script) that some players may not be aware of. [F1] to bring up options on audio and key controls. Hold down SHIFT key to run, works everywhere in this particular game, and of course encourage the player to talk to EVERYONE, and in many cases, more than once, especially after they've fought some monsters and made a dent in the main quest.

Now a bit of praise. The monsters and portraits were CUTE ! Wow ! What great artistry !

I don't know how difficult it would be, but if you could view all your players at one time in a special smaller status screen and highlight the top 4 instead of scrolling vertically to locate them, that might be easier to see who all you have as you're given quite a choice once you have them all join. Be even better if in highlighting each of them they give a quick text description of their specialities.

I noticed that all players had, "Backstory" but this 'item' was not explained. Perhaps this could be a bonus where you got a chance to see a scripted story for each character in question ?

Additionally, it would be nice to have a "New Game+" where when you start a new game, you maintain level 4 for all players, provided you have already won the game.

There are a few slight misspellings in descriptions and scripts. Since RMVX has no spell checker, it was very subtle and likely hard to catch.

The main player TGK has the most amount of Skills and curiously are also the most difficult to understand. While I fully understood all the abilities of the other 9 players, I didn't figure out what all of her abilities were.

There is a slight programming bug in the Gardener's abilities in that they can be used out of combat giving the player an unfair advantage to already have the Tree Grown in the first round of combat. Maybe that's an 'undocumented feature' ? :)

The default sounds of Attack3, Cancel2, Decision3, Save, and Slash1 are very common. Most annoying I have found is Decision3 cause every time you select a target you hear it. I think it should be more subtle, like Cursor2 or something more pleasant. This request goes for ALL world files made to date who use this audio.

Other than that, thoroughly enjoyed it and will play it again on the morrow. Once again, nice job guys !

BD

Indrah and Fomar0153 like this.
  2. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    The resources are a mix of etolier, and some edits and originals by Scinaya.

Not sure if you are aware but we made this with Lite, which meant 126 skills (I think I use 119 or something pretty close) and no scripts.

Which means suggestions like the status screen are things we can't do.

Evvy's abilities are an oversight but if I ever get round to redoing sections then I'm leaving his ability to plant a tree outside of battle intact as a feature.

Things like Elsa's skills were explained in the hints and tips section.

Your backstory idea, there simply wasn't the time to do 9 additional cutscenes and we'd have needed to work around all the limitations for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
    dw817 likes this.
  3. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Added support bar! (A bit shoddy I know but it was being stupi and after a couple of hours I just gave up.)

[​IMG]

Code with link for signature in OP.

4. Choco-Elliot Wyvern

Choco-Elliot Wyvern Numbah 1 Konata Izumi fan Veteran

First Language:
    Chocobo
    Finished playing it the other day and I must say I enjoyed it a lot :p

My favorite combination was Elsa,Tira Misu,Ruby and Carmen.Can't believe you made such a good game in two weeks!

Fomar0153 likes this.
  5. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Glad you enjoyed it, Tira Misu and Ruby were frequently in my team as well.

We've just released the next game chronologically in our Arum series if you're interested: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/12570-in-search-of-immortality/

Choco-Elliot Wyvern likes this.
  6. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Very big update, let me give you the change log first:

New Features

• Added a difficulty feature, the old difficulty is now Normal modeThe new boss is unaffected by difficulty
    [*]Dash toggle, no longer need to hold down Shift or equivilent
    [*]Added online achievements and character usage statistics
    Character/Skill Changes
    • 1 new playable character, he can be recruited after you've recruited the PrincessOutside of battle Summon Butler will restock all items fully.
    [*]Skills are now disabled when unusable rather than hidden
    [*]Elsa's rune system has been reworked
    • All runes now take 2 turns to recharge individually rather than collectively
    • E.g. Elsa has 4 Ice Runes, she uses Ice Cannon leaving her with 0. In 2 turns she will get them all
    • Blood Fountain's healing has been reduced from 100% to 60%
    • The quantities of runes on Elsa's weapons have been changed.
    • Elsa now has 5 rings she can equip to boost the power/effects of her skills.The previous plot ring is now equippable.
    [*]Ruby's skills are no longer usable if they'll have no effect
    [*]Evvy's thorns can now kill enemies
    [*]When Evvy has a tree planted the healing bonus has been increased by 10 to 30
    [*]Garron's Barkspawn's passive chance has been increased to 10% (from 5%)
    [*]Argos's skills have been re-envisioned while sticking to the Healing Tank concept.
    [*]Elias's Phantom Blow skill now uses MAG instead of ATK
    Boss Changes
    • Mumi now heals at the correct frequency
    • Trap chest fight is capped at 7 turns
    New Game Unlockables
    • After seeing the intro once you will be given the option to skip it in future playthroughs
    • Completing the game once will let you remove Elsa from the battle party
    • Completing the game will let you start with the Shadow Scythe
    • Beating the new super boss will let you start with the ring of Death
    • Completing the game with the true ending unlocks the option to start at level 4.
    • Completing the game with the joke ending unlocks a mysterious new booster.
    Minor Changes
    • Sped up animation speed
    • Popups have been changed
    • The shop guard now keeps outdated weapons in stock, you know for completionists.
    Bug Fixes
    • Queen now levels you up correctly (again *shakes fist at Indrah*)
    Anyway the biggest new feature is the addition of online support. You can find out more at:
    http://rpgmakeronline.org/index.php

If you're interested in the character usage statistic you can find them here:

http://rpgmakeronline.org/index.php?p=tgk

(though so far they'll be based only off tester data)

Download Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/icsamttgcc9p3q9/The+Grumpy+Knight.exe

Hope you all enjoy it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
    Choco-Elliot Wyvern, Fafnir and NPC like this.
  7. Fafnir

Fafnir And yet, these hands will never finish anything. Veteran

This was fun! I love the way you kept the game simple while giving every character their special combat gimmick. The callbacks to DMN were also fun.

The plot was good and got me involved enough to get all the endings. The use of a persistent save is a big plus.

There were some typoes all around (such as "patato" when getting the potato status, or the name of a DIFFERENT princess in one of Victoria's skills) but keeping the time constraints in mind it was to be expected. On that topic, the boosters were certainly underused, somewhat of the opposite problem than DMN had (infinite defense werewolf lol).

My favorite character in terms of design was Alan. There's a certain straightforward elegance in his skillset, especially in his level 2 skill.

As for bosses, the first sibling gave me the most trouble (took me a while to realize how his Pain moves worked) and the bonus boss... THAT MOVE. Just, that one. You know the one. Best "WTF" move since Black Hole.

In conclusion, an excellent game. Could still use a tiny bit of polishing but I highly recommend it nonetheless.

Fomar0153 likes this.
  8. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Thanks, usually this is the game we get criticised for having a steep learning curve. We wanted to add some benefits akin to a new game plus originally but with Lite it wasn't doable without breaking the contest rules.
    Both of those are my mistakes. Oops. Also the boosters, they were really just a way of providing a small amount of configuration without having to make 40 personal mods or so.
    I'm glad the superboss was well received, I was trying for ages to come up with something that would separate him from both the final boss and the secret joke ending boss.
    Thank you. Really glad you enjoyed the game.

9. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Awesome game, gotta love every bit of it, it's short (but not that short, how I like it), funny to play and sweet, I only need to get the last 2 achievements to do everything.

A question:
    It's possible to defeat the Trapchest (killing him in normal way) and gaining the Ring of Immortality?

Anyway, my favourite character is Evvy, but the most useful character (at least to me) was obviously Victoria, Elsa is by far the strongest and more versatile one.
    The secret endings and the New Game + bonuses adds a lot of replay value.

All in all, this is a nice little gem, I'm gonna support this along with In Search of Immortality (which I think is your best game).

Good job guys.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
  10. Fomar0153

First Language:
    English
    Yeah I noticed you usurped Indrah on the leaderboard. Congrats, and really happy you enjoy our games.
    No it's not possible. Atleast the fight is capped now.
    Elsa was always meant to be the best character, she is a Death Knight after all. Evvy was always one of my preferred party members as well.
    Thanks, it's always nice to hear from people who've enjoyed our games.

11. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, darn. Now it'll have to replay Grumpy and take all the achievements (I was lazy and I've played the game a thousand times, bite me ;A;) so I don't get left behind OTL

So happy to see support bars and general praise around like you can't even believe. Seriously, it means a lot ;-;

Thanks for taking the time to drop us a message and for your support, hope you like our next games on the rooster too ;D (wait for it, DMN remake is coming the soonest~)

12. FierceRogue

FierceRogue Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    This has probably been asked, but I don't want to go through all the pages. Where do you get all of your art? I know Etolier does some of it, but is is custom for you? I'm also wondering about the title screen, forum banner, etc. 

13. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Grumpy was all Ds set (tiles) Etolier (faces adn battlers) and Custom (title, some faces, etc, by Scinaya).

14. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I started playing this just to kill a few minutes, turned it of, tried to do something else, turned it back on and repeated that pattern until I'd played it through twice.  First got the Special ending and then went specifically for the True ending.  Really fun, really cute, even without the multiple endings I think I'd replay it just to play around with the different characters.  That's the only sad thing about having a set number of battles, I didn't have a place to test out builds in a way that didn't move the plot forward.  Fantastic game, I must go share it with others now.

Jaide, Fafnir and Fomar0153 like this.
  15. Kyattchan

Kyattchan The Lurker Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Ahh.. I love this game. Lately it seems I get bored a little too fast with games, so I tried this one mostly because I thought it sounded funny (grumpyness is my new favorite thing in the world!) and I didn't really had much expectations for it. But I'm really glad I gave it a try! I couldn't stop playing it after the first minutes in it. The story is funny, cute and really interesting. The graphics were also really cute! I really like the art style.  :)  As a plus: I really like that the monsters were visible and that I had to actually engage them to fight, I really hate random encounters in games these days. 

About the game stuff. Going to put it as spoiler just in case...

I got the true ending and dayum it! If that wasn't adorable! Elsa blushing and the Demon Prince.. I kind of got a feeling it was going to be something like that but I still got all excited when all the shadow siblings and the shadow Mom revealed their 'evil plans'. :D  I'm feeling a bit lazy to give the other two endings a try at the moment, but I just might do a replay later because I really like the story and I want to see what I missed!
    The hardest boss.. hmmm.. I'm not sure. Detail: I played in Normal difficulty and the only time I died through the game was when I fought the Shadow Mom. But it was because I had been playing with formations and I couldn't get used to the one I had at that time. ;_;    If I am to really say.. the one that took me more time and kept me healing A LOT was when all the shadow siblings got together.. The very last fight with the Demon Prince was hard too, but not too much really. I might try to get the other two endings in Hard mode just to see how it hard it is. 

Oh and my usual team was Elsa (even if I can take her out of the party I just adore her! her ice skills saved me too many times), Ruby (because dayum that last two skills she got are heaven sent!!), Carmen (steal skill ftw..) and Argos (he is hawt and his healing skills with buffs rock when you want to focus everyone in offense but still want a healer ready!)
    Anyway.. I just wanted to say thank you for the amazing game and I'll probably stalk all your game threads here and try a few of those games soon...  BD

Indrah likes this.
  16. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just thought i should point out that if you try to go into the throne room at night, then you go outside where the map is

17. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    i did not enjoy this mostly because the battles.

Glitch

Tira Misu's skill Bake a bit of everything does nothing or at least not what its supposed to do.

18. DianteC

DianteC Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I see this is a bit old but I just got to play it and I have to say, it is amazing. As of now it is my top game, there are so many points to hit on. The only little thing I've seen is that after I lost the initial battle with the prince, [He freaking destroyed me] I went back through the process of going to rest again except this time I explored a bit, I found that if you attempt to go to the thrown room at night you walk right on top of the walls. It's an easy fix, but this IMO would be worth paying for. The dialogue was good, the battle system was fair, as I only played on hard. I haven't got to seeing the New Game + in play as I haven't beaten the prince yet. This project overall was really well put together. You guys should make a sequel.