RMMV The Halcyon Project Development Thread

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Orgaya, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Orgaya

Orgaya Veteran Veteran

Kilauea, Mt. Etna, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Loa, Mt. Merap
    First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

SYNOPSIS

The Halcyon Project is a direct sequel to Geiken, in that it takes place immediately after the Canon Ending. Like its predecessor, it will be story heavy in an open world and will use an Action Battle System for combat. Unlike its predecessor, the story will focus on a smaller cast of characters and a tighter, more personal storyline. This will allow for the player to form cohesive relationships (positive or negative) with the characters surrounding them as well as create more philosophically and morally difficult choices for them to partake in.

The story will run on two tracks. The first track is the story of the Halcyon, a being out of legend that takes the form of a horse and is capable of resolving any conflict between any number of disputing parties by creating an abstract mindscape and traversing through them to find the problems. In the beginning of the game, the player will be presented with the option to pick one of four "Riders", people who represent a specific philosophical viewpoint that the player can choose to apply as their solution to the conflict or reject in favor of their own. The more in sync the Halcyon is with their Rider, the closer they become as companions and the more gameplay benefits will arise. This story will be told in chapters, and will typically be about these character's travels to different villages and areas, solving the local conflicts.

The second track focuses on a woman named Astraea, who is rescued from death via being implanted with cybernetic augments. Astraea's story will mainly revolve around helping a fading technological society find their way back into prosperity, and in doing so the player will have the choice of further giving the character to the machine, or holding her back to retain what is left of her humanity. Additionally, several romance options will be available and will add to the overarching storyline Astraea will be central to. This story will be told in episodes.

Both stories will feature multiple paths and culminate in four different endings. How these two storylines tie together will lead into the event that the entire series is building up to - The Great Unity.

LORE

The Halcyon Project takes place in a world known as the Mornaht. It is comprised of three main areas - the Ymerium, the Nimarien, and the Gaium.

The Mydori, the inhabitants of the Ymerium, follow a triumvirate of godlike beings known as the Aspectuals. These three follow the absolute laws of the Mornaht, known as the Fundamentals: Balance, Resipiscence, and Fate. The fourth Fundamental, Duality, is a forbidden Fundamental and its Aspectual is the cause of an event known as the Cataclysm, which the Mydori believe has fully separated them from their "ancestral home".

The Mydori that do not follow the Fundamentals have split off and became known as the Talorn. They live within the Nimarien. The Aspectuals have taught the Mydori that what binds them together are entities known as "Chords", and that by denying the Fundamentals, the Talorns' Chords have been severed.

It is the belief that a being known as the Halcyon will come to the Mydori and interpret the final phrase the Aspectuals said before departing for the Gaium (an ethereal plane that surrounds the Mornaht), "Unity in Death", and bring about an event known as the "Great Unity". According to the Mydori, this event will bring together the two halves of the Duality Fundamental and undo the damage wrought by the Cataclysm and return to the Ancestral Home.

Meanwhile, the Talorn seek to bring about the Great Unity on their own through technological advancement, and do so without aid from the Aspectuals.

PROGRESS TRACKER

Storyboarding: 0%

Planning stage. This will likely take the longest.

Written Script: 0%

Once planning is completed, dialogue and branching paths will be written out to be applied to the game itself.

Asset Gathering: 0%

After everything is written out, I can figure out what kind of game this will be and what resources will be needed in order to make it happen (art, scripts, music, etc.).

Mapping: 0%

Most maps in their basic forms will be created before any significant progress can be made.

Eventing: 0%

Once everything has been created and gathered, making the actual game will commence.

Final Touches: 0%

Everything from making the maps prettier to proofreading to tweaking lighting effects will take place here. Significant debugging will also take place. When this has reached 100%, the game will be finished.

ESTIMATED RELEASE DATE: TBD

DISCORD: https://discord.gg/C6FpreD

(To be added to this page: Characters, Gameplay)[/spoiler]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    XdnaX, atoms, lianderson and 2 others like this.
  2. Slammy

Slammy Protector of the Library Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Really looking forward to seeing where this goes, Geiken was a surprisingly awesome experience (that I recommend giving a shot if you haven't already) and it'll be interesting to see how the story unfolds from here.

Orgaya likes this.
  3. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Geiken looks amazing and the Halcyon game's consequence mechanic sounds great. If you are writing more, I can offer more input.

Update: Great story about technology vs tradition, but I have a question. What is the fundamental in this game mean? law, religious law, god law?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Orgaya likes this.
  4. Orgaya

Orgaya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Updated the main page with a barebones explanation of the lore.

5. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    While reading the text in the first image, synopsis and lore I understood some of this, but couldn't understand quite all of it.

What I did understand sounds like can cover some interesting themes, and it looks like it has a lot of potential.

The feature to have choices effect the game even further than the previous game Geiken did sounds really good, it sounds like it'll give the game some replayability for those who want to discover all the possible options.

I wish you best of luck with this, I'm sure it's going to be really epic like your previous game story was. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more in the future! :)

Orgaya likes this.
  6. Orgaya

Orgaya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for taking an interest! Yes, the lore is very barebones at the moment. It will be elaborated on when I've fleshed out the story more. I appreciate your support!

atoms likes this.
  7. cookiemonro

cookiemonro Juggernaut Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I am quite excited for this. The lore seems really unique. And the artwork is beyond intriguing. I hope to stay in the loop with the development of this game.

Orgaya likes this.
  8. Orgaya

Orgaya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Apologies for the late response. A "Fundamental", which will be described in more detail as time goes on and when the game ultimately comes out, is essentially an ideological standpoint that the Mydori (followers of the Aspectuals, the ancestors that fled from their original home) adhere to when their culture and society is concerned. They can be compared to the "10 Commandments", though far less defined. Their meaning is usually left up to interpretation. You can say they serve as "god laws" that act as guidelines for society to utilize for daily problems.

All this fuels into the technology vs tradition theme, as you mentioned. Rejecting vague philosophy in favor of tangible evidence is a path left for the Talorn, and this will apply to many of the decisions the player will be able to make regarding how best to solve the issues at hand.

Kupotepo likes this.
  9. Kupotepo

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for explaining your story to me.

10. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sure, but my interest comes from the way you've written the stories. Even though I don't like action battle systems I still found Geiken very interesting for that reason and this game looks very interesting. Are you still going to explain in the game the concepts of stuff from the previous game, like the colors, in this one, for players who haven't played the previous game? Or will people be recommended to play Geiken first?

11. Kupotepo

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I do not think that you have to explain every detail of the last game. Just gist like having a short talk or having flashbacks. Please do not explain every detail to the players. I think people should be able to pick this game and have a general idea of what is happening, but without play Geiken first(I think people should play Geiken, but you know that many people are likely to play a new game first). For example, Final Fantasy game has about 1-15, you do not require to play the first one first.