Captain Skyfish

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Synopsis

"I've discovered a hallway leading into my bedroom. I see it when I wake up in the middle of the night, cold sweat and panic from a sense of impending threat. The room's blurry without my glasses, but by the light of the streetlamp outside my window I can see it clear enough, sitting by my bureau, opening into an impenetrable darkness beyond.  Every time is the same, I stare at it, not moving, not daring to even breathe for fear of being noticed by half-sensed somethings.  After a while, a long while, the hallway disappears. My conscious mind fully asserting itself, burying once more the instincts that kept us alive long before we took this human form, when we only crawled hidden in the weeds.

By days exhaustion grips me, the distant fuzziness of sleep taking turns with strange senseless fits fits of panic.  I find myself daydreaming, imagining a form drifting out of the hallway.  It's details hidden by diaphanous shrouds...but not so hidden they don't seem familiar.  Graceful hands slipping free with fingers that gouge when they caress. 

Part of me knows it's just night terrors again. The same waking manifest of misfiring neurons that turns a heater vent into a swollen spider, or a ceiling pattern into razor drifting down to slice you to pieces in your bed.  By morning's light these all fall back to their real shape. But the hallway...

I'm afraid to look at it by day, at the wall where I know it should be.  Where it won't be, where there will be only plaster and paint, plain as anything. I know it, and I hope it.  And because I hope it, because I can't bear to finally place my hand upon it, I don't even look at it.  Not until that moment when the parts of me that feel wake before the parts of my that think, that know better.  That know if a hallway like this leads into my bedroom, there might be one like it that leads into every bedroom. 

Or into just enough of them to get what they want.

When I was a kid I used to dream all the time about finding magic hidden doors to other worlds.  I even looked for them, wherever I went.  But I've never considered getting up and walking through this one.  Walking down that impossible hallway to see what's on the other side of nowhere. 

Until now.

Because I know what it has to be there for.  There's only one thing, only one possible thing, in that bedroom of any value.

Me, at my most vulnerable."

Screenshots

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

The Hallway is an atmospheric horror, making heavy use of Terrax lighting and audio.  Lasting about 15 minutes total, best played in the dark, right before you go to bed. 

Available for PC and MAC (I don't have a MAC, so couldn't separate test the MAC distribution).  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7X7TpU5BSrnUjdSX3NOY0lYemc&usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:

bluebird

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Jumping onto this one immediately :D   Will let you know what I think!

Bogsy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So like, I was playing this with headphones on... in the middle of the night since people was sleeping...

Heh. Needless to say I was quite shaken up.

Captain Skyfish

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So like, I was playing this with headphones on... in the middle of the night since people was sleeping...

Heh. Needless to say I was quite shaken up.

Thanks!  I'm quite happy to hear that. 

Animus4591

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
This looks great and I'm looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, I was able to play just about a minute before the game crashed and the "Game" icon changed. It gives the next error - any ideas what it might be? Other games are working fine.

errrror.png

jstomp

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very cool, I enjoyed it! It was put together very well.

I did get stuck in the park for a bit because I was unsure how to progress but I figured it out. Perhaps some kind of clue as to how to progress there would be helpful, if you ever plan on making an update.

All in all, fun little adventure. :)

Captain Skyfish

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This looks great and I'm looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, I was able to play just about a minute before the game crashed and the "Game" icon changed. It gives the next error - any ideas what it might be? Other games are working fine.

View attachment 37327

Hello Animus4591, I'm sorry to hear that.  That error has not come up in testing or been reported before, and I can't really explain it.  I think your best bet is to completely uninstall and reinstall it. 

Captain Skyfish

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very cool, I enjoyed it! It was put together very well.

I did get stuck in the park for a bit because I was unsure how to progress but I figured it out. Perhaps some kind of clue as to how to progress there would be helpful, if you ever plan on making an update.

All in all, fun little adventure. :)

Thank you so much for that feedback.  Perhaps I will have to think of a way to make the bench more alluring.  Though I knew the type of serious gamers like you have on here would figure it out!  :)

Captain Skyfish

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

HuntingSwan, watching you play my game in front of a critical audience was one of the most tense, painful, and exciting things I've ever done.  I sincerely thank you.

P.S. Yeah I know I have some mapping graphic issues in the early areas.  I was teaching myself the program for the first time as I went, and I hadn't quite figured out the difference between ceilings and floor tiles at that point. 

jstomp

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you so much for that feedback.  Perhaps I will have to think of a way to make the bench more alluring.  Though I knew the type of serious gamers like you have on here would figure it out!  :)

My suggestion would be to make the bench glow a little or put a shining animation on it. I'm currently building an adventure game and I am putting a sort of glow around important items so people can focus on the story/puzzles and not pixel hunt. Just my suggestion. But again, you did a great job with your game! I really enjoyed it and thought it was designed very well.

EDIT: I just had an idea. You could make a parallel process event that waits like 2-3 minutes or so, then makes the bench glow. That way, it gives the player time to discover it on their own, but if they don't it will light up for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lavitz85

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This was pretty cool. The bench thing took me a minute to figure out. After the first couple times I looped through the park though I started examining everything else until I came upon the bench.

Captain Skyfish

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
EDIT: I just had an idea. You could make a parallel process event that waits like 2-3 minutes or so, then makes the bench glow. That way, it gives the player time to discover it on their own, but if they don't it will light up for them.

Fun idea, I will probably try it if I do another draft of the game.

Pizza23

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi! Played the game on a MAC and it worked well. 

just a suggestion is to double space the movie description. i know I'm a slow reader but having double space will make it easier to read.

JeffPAWA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hey there !

Very nice little experience you've made i loved it!

here's a playthrough if you've got time!

Have a good one!

:D

deadtuning

bloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh man, dude that was awesome! As advised I played in the dark with headphones, in my bedroom which has these creepy little half doors with locks on the outside which freak me out so bad when I wake up in the night, so the whole concept was both very alluring to me and very very disturbing. I had some sound issues but I think that was my laptop overheating and not the game itself. Great atmosphere! The lighting worked so well. And the end... oh man. Jeez, I'm not even kidding, every option that you gave me I was like NOPE NOPE A WHOLE BAG OF NOPE. Seriously though, great job, would love to see more like this from you!

Captain Skyfish

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi! Played the game on a MAC and it worked well. 

just a suggestion is to double space the movie description. i know I'm a slow reader but having double space will make it easier to read.

Sorry it went by too fast, I should probably just make it shorter... :p  

Oh man, dude that was awesome! As advised I played in the dark with headphones, in my bedroom which has these creepy little half doors with locks on the outside which freak me out so bad when I wake up in the night, so the whole concept was both very alluring to me and very very disturbing. I had some sound issues but I think that was my laptop overheating and not the game itself. Great atmosphere! The lighting worked so well. And the end... oh man. Jeez, I'm not even kidding, every option that you gave me I was like NOPE NOPE A WHOLE BAG OF NOPE. Seriously though, great job, would love to see more like this from you!

Thanks a lot Deadtuning!  I wonder if the evil night hallways leading into our rooms comes from the same place...

Captain Skyfish

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey there !

Very nice little experience you've made i loved it!

here's a playthrough if you've got time!

Have a good one!

:D

That is really fantastic, thank you!  And yes, bleeding from the second butt-hole is the ultimate horror, not many people picked up on that...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm familiar with MZ thanks to jam now. I say it's a better working and looking MV. Lots of plugins too and FOSSIL helps alot. It's not bad.
Some more progress <3 and in most important news:
ALPACARAPTOR SPRITE! (not animated yet, though :( )
h4u90Sz.png
Caz
At the risk of giving myself even more work to do, I kinda wanna redraw the faces of the MV RTP to be a little less.. uhhhhh..

mv-redraw.png
Hmm...you'd think in this day and age, what with Japanese Schoolgirls frequenting anime, JRGs and whatever else...that someone might have made some gym clothes for the generator. You know, the ones with the short bloomers.
finished the draft of some of this dude's motions!

mc0xoB4.gif

gonna work on the drafts of the other 3 now before i put detail, need to position these rather tall sprites well on the field

waiting for the term to end so i can get more time w this :kaodes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GLODZIO