gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yet we continue to create. We accept this risk. Why?
What drives you forward knowing the odds are against you?
probably because in order to know that the odds are against you, you have to first go through that process at least one time.
I've never made a game before.... I made modifications to games, and created custom content for games, but never a game from scratch.
so I don't know IF the odds are against me.

one thing I know, is that I never done this before..... so, might as well tick that out of the list.

somenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
> What drives you forward knowing the odds are against you?

Making games is kind of a hobby for me. Been working mostly on affiliate marketing and cryptocurrency technologies.

> Should your game becomes a hit here or out there, what's your next move?

I don't know, or even care. I'll see as things come, when they come, and if they come. Same thing with winning the lottery or something. Hasn't happened to me, so I dont think much about it.

> Criticism is a common thing, especially in all things creative. If you can't stand criticism, I'm afraid you can't even stand "the mildest breeze" in the industry as well.

Over time, I figured that if big games such as Final Fantasy 15 and Mass Effect: Andromeda have a lot of haters, then any games I make pretty much would be harshly criticized, too. And this thought helps me, a lot, for everything.

Last edited:

Hahasea

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That urge to create. Just can't fight it. In some ways it's irrelevant if anyone likes it or not (although of course it's nice) because primarily it's about giving form to something that's trying to burst out of me. I think sometimes it's escapism too, inhabiting that world you're creating in a small way.

astracat111

Astra Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Mine is because I want to. If it was about $$$ in all honestly I could probably have earned more working those 7000 hours I've had RPGMaker ACE open at minimum wage than I'll ever see selling my first few games.
Agreed, and another thing you notice too, you start to age and that minimum wage job somewhere within those 7000 hours you probably would have gotten a promotion. It's an opportunity cost issue. Maybe the best way of going about it is to be like the original FF creators. They basically were at their last leg and if Final Fantasy 1 didn't work they were ready to look into other career fields.

...but then with the advent and evolution over the past decades of the internet, YT, Amazon etc... everything is so intensely oversaturated on a commercial level, and even worse there seems to be way more divide that's starting to pick up between the AAA and Indie fields within almost every storefront. You notice how Indie movies used to be a thing, and then they turned into all documentaries. You see things like subscription gaming that solo or tiny Indie studios can't make a living off of. It really makes you reflect on your life and find a reason other than money to be doing what you love to do.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@astracat111 : That is true. In fact I used to work fast food and was in line for a promotion to shift manager after one year, but ended up taking another job in the end.

As it is, the way I look into it is you got to make a name for yourself. Odds are high your first game or your second or even your third will not be major hits, but each game gathers in an audience, and each time there is a chance those who didn't buy your last game will decide to go back and check it out too.

But, I'm just using time I would be playing video games to make my game too, so I just look at it as a trade of hobbies. If I make even $10,000 in my lifetime with it I'm probably going to treat myself to a nice steak dinner in celebration.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For me its because I find it fun, especially scripting, even if its quite hard and might not even be enjoyed. This is also why currently I have no plans of going full commercial, coz it just adds more things to think about.

One other thing is I want to make stuff to leave behind proof that I existed.

durrrrrrrrrr

one poster
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's worth it just to make what you want to make. If you enjoy your own creation, then that should be good enough.

somenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@astracat111 :
As it is, the way I look into it is you got to make a name for yourself.
Well... Making a name for yourself is fairly easy, though not necesarily the way you want lol. If I started to troll different places with poorly made, badly written, meme packed piece of **** games, people would probably recognize me quite fast. Bonus points if I add in voice acting by Microsoft Sam voices lol. Although this is probably not the sort of fame we want. :D :D

Twisted Crow

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The best way to describe why I create is that there are games that I have always wanted to play for myself. Yet, I never see them made. I never see such stories told, even if some come close. An example is the Shadowrun game I have always wanted, but most likely won't ever get to play. Others are... well, stuff I am working on. Heh.

I consider it a quirky advantage in one odd way, as the "Battle Royale" trend hasn't quite died yet with the industries Games as Service model. It's quite an interesting time for Indie Developers, that's for sure. For better or worse.

On one hand, it is an opportunity to create something that stands out. Something I can enjoy seeing to completion. On the other hand, my interests are not other people's interests. So, I have to temper my expectations on what it might likely be like commercially. *shrugs*

VitaliaDi

Jedi Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been an artist since I was a kid so I'm used to the "there are thousands of people who do the same thing as you and many who do it better" scene. And though I like when people enjoy and connect with my art I also just have this overwhelming need to create. I really enjoy it and I know that even though lots of tropes have been used, the stories and art I create hasn't been created yet in the way I would and do create it. And because of that uniqueness + enjoyment in just creating + possibly connecting with others through my art I'm still determined to keep doing what I like and spreading it, even if only a few people appreciate it I'm satisfied. I don't need some big glory gain from my art, though ofc it would be nice. But I understand that there are tons of people with similar goals.

I love storytelling too and I've found that gamemaking is this perfect mix between art and storytelling, especially when I can't code and there are programs like RPG Maker that allow me to just do the art and the writing but still have the story come to life. Sometimes just finishing things I start is an accomplishment on its own. And then from there I work on spreading.

I've been studying up on marketing recently to try to help my chances because most of getting your work out there has to do with building a community first, that's the hardest part I feel.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The simplest answer for me would be - "I make Games simply because I enjoy seeing what I envision, My Fantasies turned into a Game"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Based on this screenshot alone, which one would you sell, and which to equip?
Some random sketch-letons.

I have a strong urge to make a tutorial video of all the random things I've learned since starting on my game. little helpful tips and stuff that may help people.
Do you guys think it's better to have all members in your team from the beginning (then you can pick who battles) or you gain team members as the story goes?
PL: Patch polonizujący do RPG Makera 2003 prawie gotowy! Mamy przetłumaczoną bazę danych (projekt), polskie fonty, wiadomości walki i jakieś 90% edytora.
Do przetłumacznia pozostało te 10% edytora i plik pomocy. Niedługo więcej informacji!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerilate