The history of your online username/avatar

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by MushroomCake28, Aug 10, 2019.

1. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some people here really have unique usernames and avatars lol. So it got me thinking, how did you come up with your username and avatar? Do you use them for different online account? Discuss and share your stories.

I'll start with mine. So when I was little (maybe 9-10), I was often at one of my aunt's place because both my parents are business owners and weren't home a lot. There, I always used my older cousin's computer and played the games he had. I just started playing Maple Story in his account, grinding for him. His account name was "MushroomCake". So from that moment, because I'm lazy and didn't want to come up with a username, I just stole his username lol. He didn't mind because he was off to university and stopped playing online games. So that's how I became the mushroom. Oh and my avatar was made by @Finnuval !

Frogboy likes this.
  2. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The first time I used 'Wavelength' was a good 20 years ago on a consumer review site called "Epinions". The idea of it was of "being on the same wavelength", e.g. having the same views and opinions - I guess with the hope that would be the case, and my reviews would be more trustworthy as a result.

As I got really into that site, and that name started to feel more like my identity, I also realized that it just sounded kind of cool. Abstract. A bit science-y. So I started to stick with it when I signed up for other online communities (particularly GameFAQs) and online games.

Enbara, Frogboy and MushroomCake28 like this.
  3. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    "Sura" comes from Asura of Hinduism. "tc" means Two Clusters, a one-man indie studio of mine.

The avatar is Maco from my game, Bhavacakra Maco. The artworks were modeled in Blender.

BAA_journey-71-1920-1080-92.jpg
    BAA_kingcrab_battle-72-1920-1080-92.jpg
    BM___Wintersong-146-1920-1080-92.jpg
    BM_goblinbattle-147-1920-1080-92.jpg
    BM___Pirates-154-1920-1080-92.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2019
    Frogboy and MushroomCake28 like this.
  4. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My name is a mix of Windows 7 and Core i7. My first custom PC had a Core i7 920 and Windows Vista (with a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it came out). My avatar is a Conway's Game of Life glider and represents the hacker culture (not the negative kind that the media uses) that originated at MIT a few decades ago. This culture pushed digital technology and created the foundation for what we now take for granted. The Linux kernel is a good example of such.

MushroomCake28 likes this.
  5. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I started on maple story with ShadowerJB and ShadowTiger, later it become TigerJB, AncientTiger, ShadowTiger, AncientShadow
    etc etc. While I love Green and love Tigers, most DP's (DisplayPictures) become Tigers that I make or JB with a tiger print, so
    most peoples know me if they saw JB or a Tiger with JB imprinting in them :)

its something as my signature I use on alot of account, either with Tiger or JB, on here, because I love dragons as fantasy later
    I just combine my old maple story on Shadow and Dragon behind ^^

6. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My avatar has kind of an interesting story. When my some was 6, he was starting to get into video games so I got him into the original Dragon Warrior (probably the best into to RPGs for a young kid). He fell in love with it and the other games in the series.

Because he was young, had limited time for gaming and often times would lose these privileges for misbehaving, I used this as an opportunity to create an alternative for him. I made a simple, single or two player pen and paper RPG losely based on Dragon Warrior that he or we could not only play but learn from as well. Adding up dice rolls, following game rules (adding bonuses, comparing the result to the enemy's defense, choosing to explore new areas), keeping running totals of gold and experience, simple strategy and decision making etc. It turned out really cool, I believe helped him get an early start on mathematics and is something that he still pulls out and plays every once in a while.

It relates to my avatar because when I started the project, I set my Facebook avatar to the same one you see here and vowed to leave it until I finished it. By the time I did manage to finish it, almost a year later, it became the symbol of my identity. It's still my Facebook avatar 6 years later. Also, people seem to love the cute little DQ slime even if they don't understand where it comes from.

Another fun tidbit is that the game I want to make is based off of the game I made for my son. So it's a CRPG based off of a P&P RPG which was based off of a CRPG which was based off of P&P RPG. It's really interesting how the mechanics morph through each transition to become it's own unique experience.

Here's a snip from an older thread that describes where my username comes from.

7. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Solon is my real name. Wise is a tribute to Samwise Gamgee, my favourite fictional character ever. My avatar is the face I'm using in a game where the characters are my girlfriend, my two sisters and me.

8. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SolonWise Wow, I think there aren't that many people that include their real name in their online username.

9. SolonWise

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushroomCake28 Probably not, but I think "Solon" doesn't seems like a real name anyway. It's greek, and I'm from Brazil. I had never meet another Solon in here.

10. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SolonWise Fair point lol. I don't think I know anyone named Solon in real life.

SolonWise likes this.
  11. SolonWise

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I forgot to mention that the meaning of the name"Solon", in greek, is "wisdom", so SolonWise is like WisdomWise. Even so, I'm not a very clever guy. :D

12. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I basically keep avatars of my art and change them when I improve to the point where they look horrible. This one's a witch doctor from my game. She kind of looks like death because she's lonely and sleep-deprived.
    My name sounds kind of braggy, but it's not really. Hex comes from Hexagon (because I like hexagons and I used to be obsessed with Super Hexagon as a kid). Mozart is just because I'm a composer (though I'm nowhere near as good as Mozart). It's ironic, though, since I'm more like Beethoven stylistically. Finally, I'm not 30-something years old. 88 is just because I'm a pianist and not the year I was born in. That originated from my Codecademy username.

mazzy-elf and MushroomCake28 like this.
  13. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @HexMozart88 Wow, that 88 thing is actually quite clever... maybe I should change my name to MushroomCake88 :p (just joking haha)!

HexMozart88 likes this.
  14. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've written the history of my avatar here https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/a-story-behind-your-avatar.93228/
    And although Seal of Approval trend during the time was supposed to be temporary, I couldn't help but might as well as make this as the representation of me.

As for my username though, it's kinda a long story
    During my teen's syndrome, I changed my pen name quite often. Sometimes it's Allen Altar, sometimes Theodoric, but I decided to settle with Theodoric because it sounded cool. I took it from the game Age of Empire 2, Theodoric the Goth. Up until 2012, I didn't feel to like the name anymore, so I decided to merge both and go with TheoAllen (with that exact capitalization), as it sounded more neutral (and probably overused). Besides, the name Theo and Allen aren't too far from my actual IRL name.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  15. mishakoc

mishakoc Professional Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm also one of the people who uses their real name in their username, even though it's just the shortened version. I used to have a different username but it was a Japanese name with a number. When I was in high school I wanted to send a short comic into the manga publication that is published every year where I live but I found my former username too cringy and not distinct enough. I tried to think up different anagrams of my name to use and mishakoc was the one that sounded the best (though in the end, it is not really an anagram as such). So it's a combination of my real-life nickname and a tiny bit of my surname.
    As for the avatar, I only use my recent drawings as avatars. This one is one of the two main characters from my "dream project". I chose her simply because I'm a girl as well. Using a male avatar would make me feel weird for whatever reason.

16. Ragpuppy87

Ragpuppy87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I majored in Theatre Arts in college. I started acting in 8th grade however.

My senior year of High School we performed the annual children's play. That year it was "The Velveteen Rabbit".
    I was cast as "Bulka the Ragpuppy". I had to wear a full body dog costume that I could barely see out of , was incredibly hot and stuffy, and smelled like it hadn't been washed in 30 years...
    "Ragpuppy" became my nickname amongst my theatre nerd friends.

'87 is the year I was born.

17. Darkanine

Darkanine ...In my thoughts and in my dreams... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    "Darkanine" was my Pokemon OC I made when I was in 6th grade. I stick with it since on a few occasions, old friends from old message boards and MMOs I used recognize me online.

I usually just use "Jordan", "Jordan D" or "JordanLikesBirds" nowadays. Unsurprisingly, Jordan is my real name. On Wikipedia and MediaWikiI use SupermanFan97 since I was born in '97 and I love Superman.

My avatar is from Bill and Ted Save the Universe. It was most righteous.

18. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nothing special, Fin is the first part of my real name and nuval I Just added for something extra xD

Ive been using it for the better part of 25years now haha

19. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I think I answered this in another thread but whatever, here we go.
    Lornsteyn was the last name of a character in one of my projects, which never got released.
    I liked the name and I needed a username for a RPG Maker forum at that time, so I took it, since then I used It almost everywhere, but I have some alternate names, which are a secret.
    My avatar since years, because Im too lazy to change it, is Teepo of Breath of Fire 3, one of my favorite games.

20. mazzy-elf

mazzy-elf Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Frogboy that's the cutest thing I've read all week.
    My username is a combination of two nicknames I've had IRL for at least 20 years. My name is Marie and Mazzy is just a cute sorta variation of that, and is the name I do art under/sign as. Elf is basically what everyone ended up calling me growing up due to the fact I have features and personality traits like an elf (including both versions of fantasy and Xmas elf).... I also still look 14 according to some people despite being 31... Works out well for me in some cases not paying as much for things, and sweet shop workers actually give me sweets for free on occasion.

I do wish I had a capital M on here though.
    Edit: the avatar is a pixel mv style self portrait, I usually use my OC 'Tag' but haven't made any relevant art for him to use here.

Frogboy likes this.