RMMV The Journey to Medulla - available now!

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Ihavenoskin, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Ihavenoskin

Ihavenoskin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Journey to Medulla Now Available!
    [​IMG]

SYNOPSIS
    The journey through the mind in a coma...
    Four friends, Hayley, Steven, Mac, and Doc embark on a journey to find a tree house built by some local teenagers which they've heard about at school.
    Once they arrive at the location they have to decide on whether or not to cross a train track to reach the tree house; this is when tragedy strikes... The four friends face death, injury, and one friend left in a comatose state.
    You must help that friend break free of the potentially endless sleep as he enters his mind and does battle with Evil corporations, cannibalistic foes, corrupt politicians and much much worse!

This really is the journey of a lifetime as you help both the patient on the inside and outside of his mind!

Make new friends, re-establish old ones and work your way to the City of Medulla where you will face your darkest inner memories.

Game features:
    On screen enemies, using touch events to engage in battles
    Stealth Missions with additional rewards for evading enemies
    TCG collectible cards, pack openings, and rare chase cards
    Characters with custom skill and magic animations
    Characters have different traits such as the ability to control toys, use cattle to attack and send out robots to defeat the enemy!

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STORYLINE

• After the accident, Steven is in a Coma but inside his mind, he is transported to a ship destined for "Fronteria", a market town which is being exhausted by the greedy mayor and his selfie loving, vlogging daughters. The ship is being led by a mercenary group of ex-soldiers who now work for STEM Corp. the biggest global asset management company in the world. The group is making a depraved delivery, unbeknown to Steven, who befriends one of the team but is left without knowing who he is and why he is there.

Once they arrive the Journey begins when he meets Hayley, a Puppet Mistress who can control and battle using Dolls and Teddies as her weapons...

The story continues with the following:

Steven begins to relocate his friends from the "real world" in his fight against various forces in his mind.
      Outside of his mind his friends in the "real world" try to unlock the mysteries surrounding this life and help him wake up out of the coma.

At one point in the game, I'm going to have someone riding on the back of a Pomeranian dog chase a train... I know... This has to be in a video game.

• Credits
      It's extremely important to me to credit the following:
      Made using:
      Yanfly Engine
      SumRndmDde
      Kadokawa

Special Thanks and Credit to:
      Yanfly
      SumRndmDde
      HimeWorks
      Galv
      moghunter
      Hudell
      Chaucer
      Tsukitsune

Credit for fantastic plugins!

Graphics:

PandaMaru
      CWStudio
      Cyanide
      AVERY
      Lunarea
      Enterbrain, INC.
      [Copyright](C) Enterbrain
      Resource creators: Murray Atkinson, Michael Rookard, Archeia,
      whtdragon
      Indrah
      Chiara
      Archeia
      Caz
      Degica
      hiddenone
      Chalkdust
      Rhino
      [Copyright](C) 2012 KADOKAWA, INC; DEGICA Co., LTD
      artists Archeia, Marimo, Caz, Ocean's Dream, Thernz

scripters Yami, Liquidize

DEMO
      https://ihavenoskin.itch.io/the-journey-to-medulla

[*]IMPORTANT:

If you are a Mac user then when you download you have to hold ctrl right click and open; you will then be prompted to open an app by an unknown developer (sorry, I'm just not that well know yet lol). It should then always run ok!

[*]

Let's Plays!!!

• I'm very fortunate to have some Let's Plays of my demo (especially the Echo607 one!!).
      • Here they are:

I'm aiming to have the game ready by the summer of 2018, if things go well.

Please let me know your thoughts, they are like gold dust and would be very much appreciated :)

Save​

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  2. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello,

I'm working hard on this game and have been over-thinking it I'm sure. However, I know that it's hard to get across some of the subjects of the game without either showing it or having a demo. I should have the full first hour or two as a demo by the middle of November which will be the same demo I'll use at GamesCon.

Also - Touchy subject, but I'm thinking that on the basis of the reception of the demo I could make the game 100% free. It's my first game and uses many free resources and RTP which have been edited with a lot of love, however, I think charging to play it probably would be too far... It's better to show it off and then look to promote my website (in signature) and hopefully begin making Youtube content and begin work on the next game... What do you think? Let me know?

It could be that I release this game episodic. Much to think about :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  3. greensdream

greensdream "GREEN'S DREAM" developer page Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow! I'm loving the leaves-covered-ground you've got here... For a project with more standard assets you really mix things up and provide lots of variety!

4. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks!! I'm trying, the next game will be 100% new hopefully :)

5. IAmJakeSauvage

IAmJakeSauvage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love the fact that you're putting so much effort into the maps! My only feedback would be that your perspective/lighting are off:
    1. In the town screen it looks like you have multiple light sources for the shadows - if the sun was coming from the north you're not likely to have side shadows/diagonal shadows (but I can't see the source of cut for the diagonal so I can't speak to that).
    2. On the hospital screen the light from the window travels very far - I actually really like this screenshot; but the way light travels in from a window should only be about 1-2 tiles deep - that light travel assumes that the light source is directly outside the window and not outside, essentially.
    3. The house screen is really jarring to look at overall - I see what you were trying to do but the separation from the bottom of the mountain/house is not dramatic enough to make it look like what you're going for. I'd remove the trees entirely as they seem like they're just floating there.
    Can't wait for a demo though! Then I can see how they play in action. :3

6. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks so much for your feedback! It's really appreciated.

I've addressed some of the points you made below and made some changes as per your suggestions, so thanks again!

1. In the town screen it looks like you have multiple light sources for the shadows - if the sun was coming from the north you're not likely to have side shadows/diagonal shadows (but I can't see the source of cut for the diagonal so I can't speak to that). I've added another screen, I think what was confusing things was that I have a rolling layer with cloud shadows overhead, and I think this made it look too much like shadows in the screen. I've taken a screen in the editor, please can you have a look and let me know what you think? [​IMG]
    2. On the hospital screen the light from the window travels very far - I actually really like this screenshot; but the way light travels in from a window should only be about 1-2 tiles deep - that light travel assumes that the light source is directly outside the window and not outside, essentially. I've updated this, thanks! I've added reflections in the shiny floor too, what do you think?[​IMG]
    3. The house screen is really jarring to look at overall - I see what you were trying to do but the separation from the bottom of the mountain/house is not dramatic enough to make it look like what you're going for. I'd remove the trees entirely as they seem like they're just floating there. That's a shame! I've taken out the trees in the screen-shot below... Maybe the leave covered ground is too high and therefore the brown ground looks odd... I'm not sure, any suggestions would be appreciated!
    [​IMG]

Once again, thanks so much!

7. IAmJakeSauvage

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Ihavenoskin I think the first two screens look heaps better with softer lighting effects - and in that last screen I didn't mean the trees that were beside the house (those looked fine) - I meant the ones that you can see on the mountains (sorry)!

8. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Great! Thanks :)

The third screen, what a fail lol!

How about below?

[​IMG]

9. IAmJakeSauvage

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That looks heaps better than the first version of the screen! Good job! I think your main issue is struggling with perspective but once you get it down - you'll be zipping through maps!

10. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  11. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow... The last 2 days have been hectic for sure! I'm now happy to say that the Demo for "The Journey to Medulla" will be posted within the next couple of days. I'm currently testing the deployment on PC and MAC (PC is working!) and so once I've had a few playthroughs the demo will be made public!!! Wish me luck everyone!

12. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello!

So the day has finally come! The "The Journey to Medulla" Demo is here on both Mac and Windows (if you want Linux then please let me know).

Here is the link:

https://ihavenoskin.itch.io/the-journey-to-medulla

IMPORTANT:

If you are a Mac user then when you download you have to hold ctrl right click and open; you will then be prompted to open an app by an unknown developer (sorry, I'm just not that well know yet lol). It should then always run ok!

I hope you enjoy it! Please let me know any thoughts you may have.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  13. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello

Patched to version 1.4 to fix a couple of issues and add 1 more bit to the demo.
    Let me know if you have tried it out, I'd love to hear any feedback :)

14. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello! If anyone gets a chance to play I would love to hear from you!
    I would especially appreciate it from this forum as you are the experts :)

15. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello everyone! Demo is updated on Itch to version 1.5 So far so good and very stable demo for sure! (Although I missed confirming which version at the start of the demo if you play it!).
    Anyhow, I would LOVE it if anyone could have a go and let me know what you think! I've got quite a few downloads and feedback away from this forum; however, I love this place and would cherish your opinions! Not that I'm begging or anything...

16. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    New screens! These are after the Demo scenes!

Let me know what you think and if you get a chance please try the Demo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you are bored this weekend then please try out the game! Let me me know what you think here! I would love to hear from you!

18. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello!
    Some great news, "The Journey to Medulla" will be at the Middle East Film and Comicon 2018!
    The dates are 5th until the 7th of April at the Dubai World Trade Centre.
    I really enjoyed being a part of GamesCon Middle East (see here for the full breakdown of that event!) and can't wait to demonstrate the game to the public again!
    I'll be bringing a Comicon only demo of the game and plan on giving away some free stuff to generate interest!
    Anyone here played the demo from here yet?

19. Kwerty

Kwerty Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I’ll give it a go tomorrow and give some feedback.

Is the latest demo link available from the first thread post?

20. Ihavenoskin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes please! Really appreciate your feedback.

Yes, itch.io is the most up to date version.

Hope you enjoy it :)

Kwerty likes this.