BoredDudesGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
After almost two weeks and over 40 hours of work; I present to you.

THE KINGDOM OF CRIMSON SKIES (Demo 1 version 2 HOTFIX 2: I promise it works this time!)

A Fantasy Adventure RPG which I am currently working on and will be for the foreseeable future.

There are probably some bugs I missed or some spelling/grammar issues I missed due to how tired I am.
But worry not, it is playable and will last you between 15-40 minutes depending on how fast you play.
A second demo will hopefully be out in a month or two which will have all of chapter 2.

The fire crackles echo throughout the night, the events of this Era started that one faithful night. The first night of the 'Month of Crimson Skies'. The kingdom once was ruled by the Coppewelth Family and has been for generations. One day the Marauder Lord sought more power, knowing he had the power to take it. He led his group of bandits through a chaotic struggle. He invaded the Kingdoms capital, losing most of his men. When he made it to the castle, only he and 13 of his men were left; but that was more than enough. He took the throne for himself, conquering the world with it.

Any years have since gone past, and the kingdom is still under his rule, for he has absolute authority over his dominion. However, that matters very little to the likes of a simple farmhand, who anxiously awaits for his 'coming of age' ceremony. But fate always has the tendency to guide one's path towards certain doom, for history is an unyielding, unending cycle that will repeat the horrors of the past forevermore.

Are you able to stand up to the tyranny? Can you set forth the actions which will mend the wounded world? Will you rise above fate or will you fall into the deepest depths of hell trying?

'The kingdom of Crimson Skies' is an Adventure RPG set in a fantasy world that focuses on an extensive story with plenty of world-building and character interaction. The final product will have around 40+ hours of total playtime, minimum; it will also feature 14 big expansive cities with unique environments, characters, and quest: 14+ bosses for the main story: and an expansive overworld filled with hidden items and other secrets.

Also, it's in 720p and has music from DLC packs I bought off steam.

Alistar Farm
Screenshot 1.png
Screenshot 2.png

A dude named Fishin' Joe.
Screenshot 3.png

And, is this romance I see?
Screenshot 4.png

Download the Demo

Last edited:

Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Nice!

Things I Liked

1. Nice music choices.
  2. Water reflections.
  3. I love some of the humor you injected, such as the red shirt everywhere joke. Humor is always a plus to me.
  4. The survey questions idea is superb. It's unfortunate I didn't get to see it played out (I didn't get to experience combat) but if you implement that well it'll help replay value.
  5. The dialogue was, for the most part, organic. By that I mean I felt like real people were talking.
  6. My favorite part was when
The hero pulled the sword, and the voice said "I want you to kill me. Let this cycle end." That's a great hook to keep the player curious.

Things to work on

1. Too much telling vs showing. The beginning, for example. There could have been some fighting being shown. It's a pain to event, but it goes a long way to engage your player.
  2. Lots of spelling and grammar mistakes. I'd write my dialogue in Google Docs or Word next time before putting them in the game. That way, you can use spell check.
  3. Have the characters explain things vs the narrator (the dim screen). For example, when you visit your mother's grave the narrator says "It's your mother's grave, hard to someone you don't remember though." I'd replace that with some dialogue from the main character. It helps to keep the player inside of the world.
  4. Add more detail to the maps. It wasn't bad, but more trees/doodads/windows/decorations would have helped the village stand out.

You have a good foundation to build on. Keep at it.

BoredDudesGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Updated the Demo to version 2, fixed a lot (if not all) spelling/grammar mistakes; added some new scenes and dialogue, and tweaked/added some new features. Still just the prologue though.

BoredDudesGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Uploaded HOTFIX 2: The uncle no longer soft locks the game, I swear!

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Even without any battling, I really enjoyed what I played!! It's got a very solid intro and I will for sure play a future demo when I can get to see the combat!

Things I liked:
  • The flavor text on pretty much everything: YES! I am a huge fan of flavor text and actually getting to see that there was text for basically everything was great. It's a huge commitment to do that for everything, so kudos to you if you can keep it up.
  • The Questionnaire was a neat idea, I got some original Kingdom Hearts vibes with the questions determining your stats and level up speed. Only complaint is that it seems a bit arbitrary and doesn't even amount to anything in an otherwise story-heavy area. If you somehow connected it to the ceremony even a little bit more it would go a long way.
  • The set up for the village. It's a very interesting take on the home village thing. These kids were engaged at 4 years old, the population has to be 30 apparently? Making kids when someone dies. Etc. There's a bunch of mysteries and I hope we get more on that in the full game because I really want to know what's going on in that town.
  • For a demo that essentially equated to running around talking to people for ~30 minutes, I enjoyed it. It's hard to get people to want to talk to NPCs, so making that the entire demo is even harder, but you did a good job, I actively wanted to talk to people and hear what they had to say. I really hope that continues as the game progresses!

Things I didn't like:
  • The first day filling up water is fine, the 2nd day with getting items is fine, but the last day of the ceremony just feels too quickly paced. We've been waiting for this ceremony the entire time, and right before it happens we're told the backstory of our protagonist. Then right afterwards, the village chef just outs himself as evil and right after that the "Church Member" kills him and steals our now wife. It just happens pretty fast. Now that might be because there's nothing else to compare it to, so it could work better in the grand scheme.
  • We're not really given any context onto this town and who everyone is. The main character is supposed to be given a job but we don't even know what any of them are. We barely know any of the characters. I like the quest getting us to talk to some people, but I feel it could do a better job of showing us who these people are in the community. We're told a lot of stuff but we don't get to experience any of this stuff. It's understandable that Brendan knows all of this stuff, but we the player do not.
  • I never like to nitpick on people's spelling/grammar, but there was a few too many issues. And some of the text boxes showed Brendan's face but did not read like they were from him, rather just a description. Small stuff like that can make a huge difference when it adds up.

Overall, it was a very good start. It's a nice intro and I really want to see some combat. Good work and good luck with future demo. :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.
Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

I'm not sure how to do this so I'll just ask here, Wheres a good place to post your game (for free) once its done?
I don't know what I'm doing :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gredrick333