RMMV The Last Chronomancer (Demo 1.0.8 2019/07/18 Link Available Upon Request)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Guld, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Guld

Guld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SolonWise Thanks for the feedback!

-As far as the dialogue, yes, there is a bit of a reasoning for that. I did a LOT of the dialogue prior to the addition of the "name" being displayed at the top of the dialogue box. Because of that (plus the use of a non-default font) there is often a spacing issue with a lot of the dialogue. It will eventually be fixed over time, but I have chose to just put it on the lower priority list for now. The one with the Fallfel guard is particularly jarring though, so I'll likely fix that one ASAP.

-I just fixed the Tree Stump tiling. Thank you for noticing that.

-I'll see what I can do about adding more diverse equipment. I guess for Armor it would be nice for players to have more control over what TYPE of armor/stats they have. I will likely be adding more items and relics as well. Thank you for the suggestion.

-Originally, the reason I added the upgraded equipment to Fallfel was because Fallfel is a completely optional town. It was a bit of a bonus for players who made their way there, as a way to encourage exploration. Maybe it was a bit TOO much however. Maybe I'll only make like 1 or 2 upgrades there, rather than entire armor sets.

-Regarding the monsters, yeah MOST enemies have a "fallen" graphic, but many do not. That unfortunately will only come with time and may be quite some time where I will have the time to generate those.

-What do you mean by "above" the enemies for the animations? I THINK I know what you mean, do you mean when a spell or arrow hits the target it is sometimes too far above the enemy so it looks like it misses? If so, I'll do some experimenting with hitbox size and see if that helps.

Again, thanks for all the feedback and assistance. I am glad that you are enjoying the story, and I promise to keep adding to/improving it every day.

SolonWise likes this.
  2. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Guld Regarding the "above" the enemies animationt, that's exatly what I mean. I know this issue is not a very important one, since its not prevent me to play, but I think you should fix it whenever you have time.

Unfortunately, the game freezes every time I enter the room with Cyrus, in the prison. It may be my computer, but I tried five times. It always freezes, in different parts of the dialogue. Is there a paralel process running in this scene?

I have a question for you too: What is the damage formula for normal attacks you are using?

There is a little graphical error in the orc battler. I found it in a island near that GIANT port town.

asd1.png

3. Guld

Guld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SolonWise Yeah, I had a look at it. The plugin that I'm using to move the animations for spells/projectiles will only really target the "middle" of the sprite. So it sometimes doesn't line up very well. I might be able to modify the plugin, but it will require a fair bit of work. I'll definitely add it to the "to do" list haha.

As far as the Cyrus room....there is nothing too special going on in there. There are quite a few triggers/events, but nothing that should result in a lock up. Especially mid-dialogue. It is way less resource heavy than Goldmill for instance. I'll try a play through or 2 and see if I notice anything. Is it specifically mid dialogue that it happens?

The Damage formula for Normal Attacks is the standard for RPGMakerMV, so...
    4* Attack Power - 2*Defense.
    I did modify the Crit Rate so that it will only deal 2* the Damage. (by default it is 3* but I found that too wild)

Yeah, there are a couple of those little graphic errors for the Orc and other Battlers. Thanks for the heads up.

SolonWise likes this.
  4. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Guld
    Sometimes in mid dialogue, sometimes even in the battle against Cyrus. I don't know, at first I thought it was my computer, but the game runs smoothly all the time until this part.

Oh, and I asked you about the damage formula because Jett gains only 1 attack point when he reach level 7, and the stats gains in all party members is average to low. With the default formula, I could not sense any improvement in the damage as the characters level up. Sure, they do more damage, but still feels the same. Let's say a character gains 2 point in attack in a level up. That means that he will do +8 damage with the normal attack, but if the enemies have like 300 HP, +8 damage makes no real difference. In pokemon games, for instance, a caterpie may gain only 1 attack point in a level up, but the player can see cleary that this one point do makes a difference in the next battle, specially in the early levels, so leveling our pokemons seems useful, even fun, as the rest of the game becomes easier, and we feel rewarded. I know its hard to balance the battle system, and I don't want to sound boring, complaining about lots of things, I just want to point out some details that may or may not improve your project as a whole. Please don't hate me. :D

Oh, and now I gained a lot of levels, I could see that you have made a lot of different skill for the characters, and this was a very nice surprise.

5. Guld

Guld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the input. I tried modifying the map a bit for the Cyrus area. Hopefully that clears it up. I'll take a look at the events as well and see if I can spot anything unusual there. Sorry to hear that you are unable to get past that stage....hopefully the next patch will be better.

And yeah, I was aiming "BIG" with this game, so the starting skills/gains will seem small at first, but after a while you will definitely notice the game expanding and getting better.

I really appreciated the advice on the items btw. I implemented a LOT, and even allowed for 2 Relic slots now (FFVI always knew how to do it properly haha). I think this will be a much improved feature for the next patch.

I'll let you know if I discover what might be causing the Dialogue lock up.

SolonWise likes this.
  6. Guld

Guld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think I found out what might have been causing the lockups for you @SolonWise . One of my friends noticed a lock up at a different spot (nobody else had an issue at the spot you indicated though). I think it was due to events on the map. (Some of my candles were set as parallel events for reasons I can't explain). I also added a memory cleanup tool as well, and have been monitoring the memory usage more closely. Patch 1.0.8 should fix a lot of those problems, and a lot more features that players should enjoy.

SolonWise likes this.
  7. Guld

Guld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Patch 1.0.8 Updates...

-Faerie Dust item added

-Howling Woods encounter setup completed

-More maps added-Jump MP increased to 25

-New Icons adapted (from Avery Set)

-Map fixes + shadow updates

-Fixed Mode7 Intro for Shae + team.

-Modified Pentam map + shading in the Pentam Inn

-Added Spear to Jump Animation

-Added escape feature to Rats in Pentam Tunnels.

-Added a proper "Docks" for Westwell.

-Added a new "Chase" feature to the Snakes and Spiders in the first Pentam Tunnel map

-Added a Save Point for Shae at End of Time

-Added more Approach animations/bubbles for enemies

-Added shadow below Griffins

-Many more map upgrades

-Added a proper motion for "Spear Toss"

-Added a rigging to the Ship

-Many more items, armor, and weapons added. More diversity, and more customization this way.

-Shop Menu core, Item Core, Equip Core plugins added

-Enemy HP Gauge added-Battle AI Core added

-Added a new enemy + dialogue during opening scene. Also properly fixed the targeting for Light's Embrace.

-Heal and Self Heal up to 100+m.att, Heal 2 up to 200+matk*2

-Found an issue with Equip Core and one hero. Fixed.

-Added double Relic slots. Should provide even more customization this way.

-Fixed a "shift" error on the top level of the Pyramid.

-Added a Bleed State + Animation

-Added a Cannonier mini-game to the Pirate Attack. Also redid the mapping for this part.

-Added shadow to Goldmill buildings as well as fixed the stairs to better match the others in the game.

-Modified The Blade fight

-Added a horse for Jacque during LM march

-Modified Vass Char set

-Enemies can now begin encounters if they touch the "followers"

-Added in a direction check for Surpise + Pre-Emptive Strikes, will be used later.

-Found a proper "sorting" plugin that actually works. Great success.

Attached Files:

8. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

Hey, that pirate cannon scene looks great! And I'm digging the story and screenshots. Would love the link to demo if you want to PM me.

Guld likes this.
  9. Guld

Guld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Pirate scene is very limited at this time. It's just basically an introduction to the mechanic. Later in the game it will become even more involved, and should be pretty fun for the player.

PM sent. Thanks!

10. Guld

Guld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hawk Zombie plays 4 hours of my game. He discovered some brutal bugs in it, but powered through them, and provided some great reactions and feedback. (Bugs have been fixed since obviously)

Huge Thanks to @HawkZombie and his Stream!

11. phamtruong1992

phamtruong1992 Mage Art - Green Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, have you changed your game's font? Because the font from the first impression's videos was really hard to read. To the point that i said to myself "i have to comment and complaining the about the font", but skipped to the last page of the thread and found the newest impression video, i think it's readable now. Although, nice game you have here.

Guld likes this.
  12. Guld

Guld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you.
    I manually modified the font slightly, to make it easier to read. I think it made a significant difference.
    Additionally, for those that still have issues with it, I added an option in the Main Menu that allows the player to swap fonts if they wish. So that should make the experience enjoyable for everyone.

phamtruong1992 likes this.
  13. phamtruong1992

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good to hear that. Having other font options is a good resolve too. You know, some fonts are just unreadable. Even if we as the game's devs love it so much and feel like that font fits the game aesthetic most, it won't work if players have trouble reading texts. I don't have time to play your game by now, but other people have posted their playthrough so imma watch them instead when i have time, and might give you my opinion about the game later on. Cheers!

Guld likes this.
  14. Guld

Guld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I appreciate it. Thank you very much.

15. phamtruong1992

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I watched a playthrough video, although i couldn't pay much attention and had to skip through many parts of the gameplay due to my short amount of time, but the story seemed ok, dialogues were acceptable, and there were moments that's quite engaging. But there is one thing that i really like about your game, is the mapping which is showed after you are done with the king's chamber (not so impressed with this place), especially the Pentam town's, and gosh, i really mean it. What a fabulous map design that is. Even with just those default tilesets and not much use of fancy lighting effects, and the mapping is somewhat simple, you have made something that i'd say, it's beyond your average parralax mapping that we usually see everywhere. The size and placement of objects, houses, how you decorate the interior and especially the spacing in between stuff, all is very well done. Overall, you have a very good level designing talent in my opinion. Although there are some places that are not on par with the town, and i hope to see you improve them.

I guess i will watch your gameplay some more when i have time because i'd love to see more of your mapping, lol.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Guld likes this.
  16. Guld

Guld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you very much for the kind words. I only recently discovered how to really design my maps "well". I will be going back and redoing most of them, and I think the Crystal Castle will be a good one to start with. In the meantime, I am focusing on actually implementing/adding all the content I want for this, and will look on polishing afterwards.

I'm glad you are enjoying what you are seeing, and I will strive to make it even better.

phamtruong1992 likes this.