RMMV The Last Chronomancer (OFFICIAL CHAPTER 1 RELEASED)

Nenen

Untested RPG storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Haha, I was just mentioning this to a couple of other players.
My big goal right now is to polish up a PROPER Demo for everyone to play/try.
I have a LOT of work ahead of me, but I SHOULD be able to get it done in a few months.
I'll definitely keep this thread updated, and I'll send you a DM when it's ready as well.
Thank you very much for the interest, and I hope I can deliver a game you will enjoy soon!
Great, hopefully I'll be able to get to the library around then ':)

mf_Will_Black

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
C'mon man! When's the next version going to be out? This is currently my favorite game to follow!

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The "Official" Demo is undergoing its first round of internal/closed group dev testing.
I have also been contacted by some LPers to provide evaluation/feedback as well.
Everything is progressing nicely.
Thank you everyone for your patience and interest in this game!

Last edited:

Boonty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will be interested in a demo me too

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Download the demo, its doesn't disappoint, probably the best game in the rpg maker community right now. More polished than most commercial games and with a better story too.

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Download the demo, its doesn't disappoint, probably the best game in the rpg maker community right now. More polished than most commercial games and with a better story too.
Thank you very much for the kinds words, Padr!
I'm working hard to make sure that full game is even better!

ItsAri

That one Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks like a really promising game. Nice work! :kaojoy:

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I decided to once again revamp the Crystal scene. Instead of using just Mode 7, I decided to take it up a notch and make it 3D. I personally like the way it is now.
Crystal3D.png

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@NikorasuWatosan reviewed my game.
Thank you Niko for the kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate the tidbits of advice that you offered.

Last edited:

Zamiel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I have played the demo (Keegan Route only for the moment) and wanted to give a little feedback.

The global impression is very good, everything feels very polished. I was specially impressed by the dialogues wich I found well-written for the most part. It shows that you have taken good care to flesh out each character. The story so far feels very engaging and I admit I was left hanging when the end came, wich is usually a good sign.

Gameplay-wise it's hard to evaluate because the demo isn't long enough. It feels mostly OK but not very original or fun. The difficulty is well balanced but the combat system is very classic. The progression system (battle->xp->level-up->new skill) seems also very basic. I guess you were going for that classic style.

The mapping is well done without being astonishing. I was a bit disapointed by the design of the dungeon. At the beginning I thought it wasn't a "real" dungeon and the fact that we find an important quest item at the end felt a bit random.

The main issue I see is that your game suffers from the generic look of the RTP assets. To me it's one of the main concern of almost every game made with RPG Maker MV. If you don't have custom-made assets (or at least not RTP style ones), your game ends up looking kinda like all the other game made with this engine. It has gotten to a point where I almost dismiss any game that uses the RTP on sight.
I feel like your game could beneficiate from ditching the portraits during the dialogues. It might sound strange but I felt a dissonance between the precisely crafted dialogues and the goofy looks of the RTP-styled portraits. It was almost distracting.
I think this dissonance resonates through the whole game actually. The story has a serious tone to it and it doesn't mesh well with the "chibi" style of the RTP.

Anyway I might play the demo once again with another character and I look forward to see the rest of the game.

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for the late reply @Zamiel .

Thank you very much for taking the time to play my game and for the feedback!

I do get where you are coming from with the juxtaposition between the chibi style sprites and the serious content of the dialogue/story. A part of me likes the juxtaposition as it further reinforces the FFVI vibe that I intend.

On the other hand, it is a bit off, and I do agree that other sprites/art would probably be more appropriate.

I have experimented with having taller/more realistic character sprites, and may eventually make that upgrade. The problem is that the battlers sprites would still be Chibi style until I can either custom make them all, or find a generator as robust/solid as the build in game generator. Perhaps the new RM Engine will have something to satisfy that?

Until then, I think I am stuck with using the RTP as I do not have the time/resources for anything else on the scale that I am making this game.

Regardless, I do really appreciate the feedback. If\when you do play the full game, I hope that you enjoy the experience.

Thanks again.

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yorkshire Pud has an entertaining playthrough of my Demo.

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Been a while since I posted any game progress (been hard at work every day though).

Anyway, here's a screenshot of the 2nd part of my Naval Mini-Game. (I'll be updating the Pirate ship graphic next)
Galleon2.png

Spaceboy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahhh! Looks fun!

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Amazing work as always Guld.

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not a major update by any means, but I redid the title screen slightly (and polished it up as well).
Pretty happy with the modifications.

I've also been hard at work implementing some other lighting features, balancing more battles, implementing the very difficult to achieve "Suplex" for my Orc Monk, and plenty more.

It a bit of luck I might have a free "Chapter 1" available to download in the next month or so.

Thanks to everyone who is still following/supporting me in this project. I really do want to make the best game possible and every day I try to take another step forward in that goal.

Attachments

ADMtn

Treasure Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just played through the demo.

It's solid and reasonably polished. Something RPG Maker folks need to aim for.

The characters are pretty fun. I assume you're a fan of fantasy and RPGs outside of JRPGs since you gave all the men facial hair. It works. Somehow makes the PCs feel less generic, even if you're leaning into a few tropes (tropes are impossible to avoid, really, so it's not a negative; as opposed to cliches, like the hero Harold waking up in his bed).

I suppose, now that I think about it, what may fall into a "cliche" for me is the whole Light and Crystal thing at the start of the game. Seeing as the out-of-the-box RPG Maker is geared towards making JRPGs, it's hard not to see the similarities to Final Fantasy when you're going to use light and crystals. Of course, that might have been an intentional allusion on your part since that Light-wielding guy and the crystal was only in the prologue. If it never comes up again in the tale of our six heroes, then I think that would be a nice nod toward Final Fantasy.

Coincidentally, my RPG Maker project also has a number of characters thrown together early on (after being given a choice of who to start with) so it's interesting to see how you're handling it (lots of unavoidable overlap in our approaches). I like that you give the chosen character the ability to make in-game choices (in my game, I allow the player to control dialogue choices for all of the PCs, not only the one they start with). Your approach is more immersive in terms of putting the player in perspective of their chosen hero. I like it, and I assume you're going to keep having that happen throughout the game.

The combat and gameplay is enjoyable. You employ a lot of plugins I've noticed people clamoring for but I haven't played enough demos/games to see them being utilized well. The way you use them makes the combat satisfying.

Your choice of hair for Gregor is interesting:
gregor.jpg
For a minute, I thought the poison also changed Gregor into a woman, but I'm guessing those are supposed to be manly viking braids (or something similar). Also, I suppose, those braids aren't necessarily feminine in all cultures.

Anyway...

A lot of people respond to demos, complimenting people on their "effort" as a way acknowledging people's attempts at making something good (and sometimes it's actually good, sometimes, it obviously requires more work). Your effort is not merely an attempt. The results you're getting with this demo are already good.

Good luck, and I hope your work inspires others to polish their games as you have.

Oh....
Based on your avatar/profile image, I decided to trust that orc. Hahaha.

Last edited:

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ADMtn

Re: Influences, outside of JRPGs(Final Fantasy, Chronotrigger, Lufia, DragonWarrior, Legend of Zelda, Suikoden, etc.) there is a touch of RPG influence from other sources like World of Warcraft, Dungeons and Dragons, Might and Magic. Additionally, I recognize shows like Game of Thrones and The Dark Crystal have an influence. I designed the crystal + chain fetters a long time ago. Then when the new Dark Crystal TV show came out I watched it and was like "Right...the original Dark Crystal is probably what gave me the inspiration for that design" haha.

Re: Tropes, the Light Crystal prologue is definitely a bit of a nod to Final Fantasy and The Dark Crystal. And I did really want to play up the "Light + Crystal = Good" vs. "Dark Emperor = Bad" trope. Even though the prologue plays out with one set up as the "hero" the story, that is not necessarily the case. As the story plays out, the whole good vs. evil becomes a lot more of a blurred line that I hope the player will enjoy.

Re: Gregor, he's definitely a nordic/viking version of Gaston from Beauty and the Beast haha. Overly gregarious and loud, an irritating fellow at times, but a good friend to have regardless. (And yeah, I thought some military style mutton chops and braids was a distinct but cool look.)

Thank you very much for the kind words. It really does feel good to know that I'm hitting the mark and creating something enjoyable for others to play/experience. If you ever want someone to take a look over your game and give you some feedback, please let me know. I'm always happy to give back to the community after all it has given to me.

Last edited:

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My game made it into a "Best" highlight vid. Mine comes in at the 2:27 mark approximately. (It's also the thumbnail image for now)
Some other great games in there as well!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

• Guld

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sheila Nagase

same caption as before. :3
"Be as honest as you possibly can as often as you can. It makes your lies much easier to believe."
Each new game means new ways to survive and you need to adapt when you have 10 different stores with lots of items for your adventure
It took really long to gather the 4 siblings to make this pictur- where did the fourth one go!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anglerman_