Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Last continent Screen (version).png

DOWNLOAD:
The Last Continent

This is a demo of my first RPG game made with a RPG Maker engine.

Summary:
It is a story-driven classic RPG, with a few modern gameplay elements.

The adventure take place in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity have destroyed the planet by pollution and endless wars. A thousand years later, only a single continent remains above oceans level, and it is mainly a desolated barren land. By using ancient technologies, some survivors have managed to maintain fragile ecosystems in confined areas. These areas are called Terraforms, and are restricted to the privileged ones. Hence, there are those casted aside in the Wasteland, struggling to survive in that hostile environment roaming with dangerous outlaws and mutants. They call themselves ‘The Outcasts’, and they gather junks and fragments of technology to struggle with their uncertain destiny.​

You will start the game as a young Outcast, sent by his mentor to run a simple errand. But a series of events will force him to embark on a journey to save his best friend. And as the stakes of a greater scheme will progressively unfold, you will learn that during the apocalyptic war that destroyed the civilization a thousand years ago, humans weren’t fighting against each others, but rather were defending themselves against something else…​

Gameplay:
You can expect all of the classic RPGs features: towns, world map and dungeons exploration, treasures and loot collection, side quests, and short but numerous cut scenes to unfold the story. All along with experience points based levelling up, and random fast-pace side-view battles. You can only save your game on the world map or in save points.​

But the gameplay diverges from classic RPGs in a few points:​

No magic
That means there is no offensive nor healing spells, so you will need to make good use of items. The battle skills uses TP; offensive skills depends on the equipped weapons, and supportive skills are meant to facilitate the use of items.​

Procedural loots
Chests, lockers, boxes, barrels, garbage bin and bags, pots, junk piles… a lot of parts of the scenery can provide loot when searching. They will provide different stuff each time you play the game. But it’s not pure random. For instance, you have slightly more chances to get an healing item when your party is low on HP; or less chances to get an item you already have in high quantity in your inventory.​

Slums Sreen shot.png Slums screen shot2.png

Procedural Weapons and Armors generation
Each times you get a weapon or an armor as a loot, its parameters are set according to your party members levels, and it may receive random traits like elemental or state resistance. This changes the name of the weapon or armor accordingly.​

Weapons and Armors have durability. You can repair them with some items, but you might find a lot of gears while exploring the Wasteland, so keep switching equipment is also an option. There is also easy ways to make a piece of gear unbreakable, if you find one that you really like.​

Weapons Screen shot.png Armors Screen shot.png

Crafting your items
Since there is no healing spells, going back and forth to buy items in town is not cool. Luckily, the main protagonist is a geek and a grease monkey; he can craft his stuff on the road.​

Creatures on the Wasteland can drop numerous organic ingredients that can be used to make healing items, while outlaws and robots drops junk parts, used in the making of explosive devices.​

Craft Screen shot.png

Gears bearing skills
As said above, the offensive skills are provided by the equipped weapon type. Keep using a skill and it will level up, keep levelling it up and you will gain more powerful skills. This means you may want to specialize your characters with specific weapon types.​

The supportive skills are provided by pieces of equipment called ‘cerebral implants’. They are mainly meant to improve the efficacy of healing items and explosives. These skills level up the same way as offensive skills.​

Item+ Screen shot.png

Enemy Levels
Enemies have levels and it will be set according to your party members levels with a variance of +/-2. This keep the game balanced, but enemies in a given area have a level cap. If you keep grinding to bypass the cap, you can become over powerful quickly as damage formula takes in account the difference of levels between the antagonists.​

Mecabots
Mecabot_face.png
In the default SF tiles sheet, this sprite is identified as ‘Machine C’. Whatever it is supposed to represent, to me it look like a little robot with big eyes. So I used it for a small game mechanic. They are called ‘Mecabots’. They are a vestige of the pre apocalypse era. Mecabots automatically put themselves in sleep mode to preserve their battery. When you wake them up, they provide random loots. Apart from this, there is no way to communicate with them while they are awaken. After some time, Mecabots goes back to sleep mode, and will gives additional random loots each times you wake them up. The thing is, the more you wait before waking them up, the better the loot they will deliver.​

Mecabots_faces.png
Sleep mode - Awaken - Malfunction - Destroyed
But beware because some have defect and will blow up when you wake them, giving very short time to move away from it. Note that this is only concerning the newly discovered Mecabots. When a Mecabot already gave you a loot, it means it is functional and will never blow up. This way, you only have to worry when you find a new one.​

The game take note of how many Mecabots you found. For instance, there is 10 Mecabots in the present demo. When you’ll reach the end of the demo, it will tell you how many you found out of 10. There is no rewards associate to this, yet.​

World Setting:
The world as it was known, ceased to exist around a thousand years ago, following an apocalyptic war. The human civilization, which had attained a high level of knowledge and technology advancements, was brought to the brinks of destruction, because of greed and warmongering.​

A decades long nuclear winter followed the apocalypse. Many died as natural calamities increased over the years. The ocean water level rose up, leaving only one continent above the surface; a desolated barren lands. Its soil was scorched by toxic radiations, and aggressive and mutated life forms flourished.​

Three artificial autonomous biospheres called Terraforms, were constructed on the last continent. They allow to maintain viable ecosystems, with healthy grounds and vegetations, sufficient to sustain huge cities. According to common beliefs, the Terraforms were built by survivor, using pre apocalypse technologies. But some have advanced the hypothesis that the Terraforms construction actually antedate the apocalyptic wars that occurred a thousand years ago. But since all records from that era have been destroyed, any theories about when and why the Terraforms were constructed, remains at the speculative level.​

Outside of the Terraforms, the whole continent is covered by the Wasteland. Vestiges of the old wars are still visible, and weapons, armors and ammunitions can be found everywhere. But the most notorious reminiscences of the pre apocalypse era, are the omnipresent micro electronic chips. It can even be found inside living organisms, to say at which point it is integrated into the environment. Chips are so abundant, that the Outcasts, the people of the Wasteland, actually use it for currency. Terraformers, on their end, have their own economy and currency unit.​

The Outcast peoples lives in the slums surrounding the Terraforms. They survive by scavenging junks, and smuggling products from the nearby Terraform. The slums population is on decline; old peoples are sick due to life-long Wasteland radiations exposure; and the younger generations lost faith in life. They can’t see any future in this desolated world, and most join street gangs, in search for a sense of belongings, and a meaning to carry on.​

This starting world setting may appear a little dark, but it’s in the darkest times that the light of hope can shine the most.​

Characters:
During the game, characters joins and leaves the party according to the storyline. You don’t have to mind about formation or switching between characters. By the end of the game, the party will be formed by the four main characters (marked with ** bellow). But many playable characters (marked with * bellow) will be coming and going before that. Characters bellow are present in the demo.​

Ray **
Ray_face.png
He’s the main protagonist. He was an orphan in the slums. Old scholar Mic gave him shelter and raised him like his own son. He taught him all he knew about mechanic and biology, so Ray became a very skilled young man, well prepared for the harsh life in the Wasteland.​

Slim Jo *
Slim Jo_face.png
He’s Ray’s best friend. He too was an orphan raised by old scholar Mic, but unlike Ray, Slim Jo never was a very good student. He was a difficult kid who joined the slums street gang ‘The Clowns’ at young age. Yet, he has a good hearth, and despite being a gang punk, he had always considered Ray like his brother.​

Mic
Mic_face.png
He’s the scholar who raised Ray and Slim Jo. Mic is very well respected amongst the Outcast peoples. He dedicated his life in studying the ancient technologies and the Wasteland environment to ease a bit the life in the slums. He used to venture a lot in the Wasteland to collect junks and organics, but now that is older, he count on his adoptive sons to bring back the stuff he needs to carry on his research.​

Ken **
Ken_face.png
He was born in Kaali, the southern Terraform City. Ken joined the TerraCorp armada at young age, because he followed the pathway his family wanted for him, and never questioned his destiny. His meeting with Ray and the events that will follows, will force him to think back about his inner values, and will change his fate forever…​

Kay Jin *
Kay Jin_face.png
He’s the chief of the Outcasts. No one knows how old he is. Everyones in the slums, even the elders, always knew him as ‘the Chief’. Kay Jin is a great warrior with an unknown past, and an aura of mystery is always planing around him.​

Ryna *
Ryna_face.png
She’s Ray and Slim Jo childhood friend. She suffered intimidation as a kid because she was raised by an old woman everyone called ‘the Witch’. Only Slim Jo took her defence back then, and they grew feelings for each others. The ‘Witch’ was in fact an old martial arts Master, and nowadays, Ryna is a top notch martial arts expert. No one dare to provoke her anymore.​

Nani
Nani_face.png
She was a renown martial arts master. Nani retired in the southern slums long ago. But Chief Kay Jin asked her to raise and train the baby orphan Ryna. She raised Ryna as her own daughter, and taught her everything about martial arts. But Nani keep saying that one day she will leave the slums and go to the northern mountains to meditate in order to attain the highest level of her art.​

Shankov *
Shankov_face.png
He’s Master Nani younger brother. Shankov lives an hermit life in the Wasteland. He dedicated his life in defeating a beast that come out of the sea periodically. It attacked the slums years ago, and killed Shankov and Nani parents.​

Kane
Kane_face.png
He’s a mysterious man that came from the central Terraform, a place that was cut from the rest of the world for years. They call him a ‘Mage’ because he mastered a mysterious power known as ‘Magic’. No one knows his true plans nor the true purpose behind his affiliation with TerraCorp, the militarized corporation of the southern Terraform.​

Samantha
Samantha_face.png
She’s Kane sister. Like her brother, Samantha can use Magic. She came to the southern Terraform along with Kane. Samantha hidden agenda seems to be about the same as her brother. Which of the two siblings is the leading mind is hard to tell.​

The Wingmen

Wingmen_faces.png
Thessa, Garyl, Sammy and Collins

They are TerraCorp elite intervention team. The Wingmen are the crew of the Atlas, a thousand years old flying vehicle from the old wars. It was excavated and restored by TerraCorp. The Atlas is mostly used for trades and exchanges between the southern and the northern Terraform; and this is generally the main occupation of the Wingmen. But recently, the two Mages, Kane and Samantha, came from the central Terraform; and the Wingmen were assigned to assist the Mages. A situation that is far from pleasing them…​

The Clowns

Clowns_faces.png
Vlad, Sly, Buzz and Mel

They are the street gang of the southern slums. Slim Jo was a leading member for years, but he’s now thinking about retiring. The Clowns are involved in street fights, drugs smuggling and other illicit activities. They looks like tough guys, but they’re truly just a bunch of disillusioned kids who doesn’t see any future in this desolated world. Recently, they have problems with the Wasties, the rival punk gang that roams the Wasteland.​

Misty **
Misty_face.png
She’s another Mage. Little is known about where she’s coming from nor what she’s up to. Misty is the only playable character able to use the mystic power known as Magic. She will meet with Ray and the others in Kaali, the southern Terraform City. She’s not present in the demo.​

Delphine **
Delphine_face.png
She’s an Outcast from the northern slums. Delphine is the only character able to use the weird and funny ‘Toxic Blower’ weapon type. She will meet with Ray and the others when they will reach the northern Wasteland. She’s not present in the demo.​

Story:
The story begins when Mic ask Ray and Slim Jo to go to an old power plant in the Wasteland. He send them in search for some junk parts he needs to continue his researches. Having studied the Wasteland all his life, Mic suspect that some other mysterious power is affecting the land because there is so many things that can’t be explained only by mutagenic evolution due to toxic radiations. He think the Terraformers knows something about that. He also think that this old power plant is somehow related to this mystery.​

Meanwhile in the nearby southern Terraform City, two enigmatic figures have arrived recently. They are brother and sister, and they call themselves ‘Mages’. They effectively seems to have mastered a strange power known as ‘Magic’. They appear to be affiliated with TerraCorp, the militarized corporation of the southern Terraform. And both seems to have shared interest for that old power plant…​

The dices of destiny have rolled. What appeared to be such a simple task for Ray and Slim Jo, will turn into a series of events that will change the fate of the world forever. What truly happened a thousand years ago? Will humanity repeat the same error? It is a tale about greed and treason, but also about love, friendship and loyalty.​

About the demo:
The demo can give around 2h of gameplay. Basically it consist in a town (the Outcast slums), a few side quests in the surroundings world map area (the Wasteland) and the first dungeon (the deserted plant). The demo ends when you reach the southern Terraform City.​

There is five side quests that can be done to reveal additional side stories and get hidden loots. You will have to speak a couples of times to peoples to get all informations about side stories and quests.​

Any feedback on the game is welcome. But I’m mainly looking for feedbacks on the game balance. The demo will serves as template for balancing the battles for the rest of the game. I’ve tuned down the battles difficulty over play testings. Now, like any developer, I find my game way too easy, and that’s why I need your opinions. Overall, I don’t want the game to be hard, yet I don’t like it when battles are too easy, and they just feels like chores where you keep mashing the Ok button to select and attack until it’s over. I want the players to enjoy the story and exploration, while battles would offer a slight challenge, forcing to maintain a certain degree of alertness.​

The demo has been tested thoroughly more than once. Thanks to @ShadowDragon , many bugs have been fixed. But as a ‘bugs-free’ game can never be guarantied, I’m also welcoming any reports on bugs or glitchy behaviours you might encounter while playing the demo.​

Screen shots:
Gang Hidout Screen shot.png WT Screen shot.png

Tenements Screen shot.png Ryna fight Screen shot.png

Shack Screen shot.png Wasties Screen shot.png

Battle Screen shot1.png Oumb Screen shot.png

Battle Screen shot3.png Battle Screen shot4.png

Plant Screen shot.png

Coming up:
The demo form the first part of the game. It includes the first town, the surrounding world map areas and the first dungeon. I plan to make around 7 areas as such, to form the whole game.​

I’m currently building the maps for the second part of the game, which will entirely take place in Kaali, the southern Terraform City. The big futuristic city will offers good settings for exploration and side quests, while the main dungeon will consist in the infiltration of the TerraCorp Headquarter. The demo will be updated once the second part will be playable.​

Terraform Screen shot1.png Terraform Screen shot2.png

Credits:
Graphics:
Tiles sheet
Default RPG Maker MV assets, ©Degica Co., LTD
Dream Pack MV - Modern, ©Degica Co., LTD
PVG Sci-Fi Tiles, ©PV Games

Audio:
Default RPG Maker MV assets, ©Degica Co., LTD
Dream Pack MV - Modern, ©Degica Co., LTD

Plugins:
Yanfly Engine plugins by @Yanfly

Orange Overlay by @Hudell

My own Plugins:
TSR_Title
TSR_Save
TSR_TextColorAddOn
TSR_Popups
TSR_SideStairs
TSR_FootSteps

Game testing:
@ShadowDragon

Hope some will like it :cutesmile:
Regards,
TSR :rock-right:

Attachments

Last edited:

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'll try this to see how it compares to my own post-apocalyptic game, looks interesting.

• Love
Reactions: TSR

TSR

The Northern Frog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! :cutesmile:
I'll be sure to give a try to 'The Wastes' when the demo is ready.

Regards!

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You had me at Post Apocalyptic haha. Going to try this out soon.

TSR

The Northern Frog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've recorded my last playtest of my demo and made a small trailer out of it:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
nice trailer :) looks great

• Love
Reactions: TSR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Today was a day of good things! Thank you fate! I pray to the darkness that those that read this will enjoy a good day as well! Power to the gam mak.
People3_1 and People3_2 added!

Part 2 of my Audio Engine tutorial for MZ is out!
Come join our stream starting at 2pm and win cool stuff! :D
Star citizen just announced they will develop a roadmap for their planned roadmap...
And i thought i needed order on my project... :kaoswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royrivers79