-Serenity-

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will be away for the next week or so, and will hopefully finish the game within the next 1-2 weeks.
Until then, I would appreciate more playtesters, if anyone can find the time to do it.
I uploaded the latest version with some fixes as well.

-Serenity-

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Final chapter has been made and is now available for play!
While the story is done, I am still waiting for some input from playtesters and there are some more features I want to add in before I consider the game 'complete.'
But in general, I'd say it's about 98% done.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Serenity-

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The latest build has been uploaded, and this will likely be the last one for a while, until playtester feedback is received, and a few other little things are done. Hopefully there are no more issues to address.
But once that's set, I expect the game to be done to the point that it can be considered 'complete!'
Any additional feedback is also still highly appreciated, of course. The more people that try it, the better.
Until then, I've started lightly working on a new project.

eomereolsson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played your game for a while and wanted to share some thoughts. First of all, congratulations on finishing and publishing a game, a feat many of us (including myself) have yet to accomplish. From the synopsis I am gathering that you put your focus on combat gameplay and the battles I fought felt really solid. Only the battle with the corrupted spiderling in the prologue felt like it dragged on a bit. After having figured out a pattern to beat it, I still needed to execute that pattern pretty often to finally defeat the spiderling.

Two minor technical points:
1. In part 2 of the prologue there are two spots were mushrooms are growing at the edge of a tree. You can walk onto that tile.
2. When examining the broken wood next to the cabin after Stella rescues ??? from the monsters, Stella says the wood is "rotted". I believe it should be "rotten".

On to more opinion based advice. I think your writing style could do with a lot less ellipses (...). They are fine as a style choice from time to time, but they should not be in, like, every second message box. Especially not when I have to press ok for every single dot to appear. Even more so when I will see the same message box several times in short succesion because the character is offering me a list of choices to talk about. Just make them say their longer piece of dialogue when first talking to them and then have them say something shorter when talked to again to choose a different topic.
I had your game freeze when talking to Rona after having returned to Aegis (fittingly while Rona said "..." and nothing else). This meant I had to watch the whole cutscene of returning to the guild and talking to the general again (which was pretty annoying since it took over a minute even though I held down ok the entire time). To save my sanity I skipped talking to the general and rona again and went for some further exploring. When I found the redhead armored girl that summoned me to the general in a corner above the infirmary, the game froze again on her saying "Piss off Stella. Killing you now would bring me no satisfaction." At that point I decided to quit, because I am not sitting through that whole cutscene again. Do have some parallel events running rampant in the background maybe? I recently upgraded my hardware to a pretty decent standard so I doubt that is the problem.
Also what was up with the leetspeak suddenly appearing and breaking the forth wall? That better have some payoff later down the line, because if it was meant as a funny interlude it was way too long and I'd argue for cutting it completely.

Finally my last point has nothing to do with the game itself, but rather your marketing of it. When I open your thread for this game almost my entire screen is filled with a picture of a default menu background with a game title on it in the default font. While I am completely fine with you using that in game, I don't think this does your game any favors. You are on a forum of rpg maker devs after all. We recognize the default assets. In fact were it not for @ShadowDragon 's comments I would probably never spared the time to even read your synopsis, much less play the game. Which would have been a shame.

After all this negative sounding critique I want to circle back to my original points though. Your combat system is very solid and fun. Your writing I must admit could use some polishing passes, but even there the core is good and makes a solid foundation for further refinement of your skills. So don't get discouraged :rhappy:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@eomereolsson
I think rotted might be correct, but the graphic maybe not.
I dont mind the title screen and default assets, its more how
you present the game.

Title screen can be a placeholder to show something nice.
I still need to beat chapter 9 after the final battle, but it's really
a pain when I got there again.

@-Serenity- I got a bit occupied, but I hope half september I can
play through the entire game again.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think rotted might be correct
"Rotted" is the past tense of a verb, "rotten" is an adjective. So if the passage that @eomereolsson quoted is accurate, the correct word to use would be "is rotten." You could also correctly say "the wood has rotted."

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
play the game and check which one :) as my grammar isn't the best,
others that are good at knows it better 99% of the time :)

-Serenity-

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for all of the feedback!
Here's a list of things;
1. A new version has been uploaded. There are a few extra things to interact with at various points, but the most significant change is that Story Mode is now available. If someone finds the combat too challenging, they can now select Story Mode before a fight starts, which will bypass the combat entirely, but give a short description of what would have happened.
2. If the title image on the forums is taking up your whole screen, isn't that more of a resolution issue? Though I suppose I could just... cut the image itself in half, though I'm not sure if that would look better. It's also, hopefully, a placeholder image. I had someone who said they would do the art, but it's starting to look like they won't, and my own art skills aren't 'par'ticularly up to par. I'm hoping they may change their mind, but who knows. So it may just end up staying as-is, since I don't like the idea of just googling something and tossing in whatever I find. Or copy and pasting assets into Paint to make an image, which I don't think would look any better in the end.
3. The elipses was also starting to bother me when I was playing through myself again, I'll address this with time. You also don't need to mash enter to make it go faster, dialogue in general is timed. I knew it was an issue after a while, and use it a lot less as the game goes on, but the earlier segments do need to be addressed.
4. As for why your game froze at that point, I'm not sure why. I'll look into that again. Every time I've done it it worked fine, but I'll see if I can reduce the load in some ways without breaking anything. Some of the dialogue portions in that chapter I also wanted to go back and fix a bit. I recall having some issues there, but just left it as-is so I could work on other portions, with intentions of coming back later. And now I'm at the point where that's more of an option.
5. All alternate outfits should now be scaled properly for combat. Emphasis on 'should.'
6. I've been living in a place without internet for a few months, only occasionally dropping in to upload updates and check for messages.

eomereolsson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
2. If the title image on the forums is taking up your whole screen, isn't that more of a resolution issue? Though I suppose I could just... cut the image itself in half, though I'm not sure if that would look better. It's also, hopefully, a placeholder image.
Admittedly, I am working with bit of a strange setup here, because my office is currently otherwise occupied so I have my computer hooked to my TV as a monitor. So the experience may be different for other users.

And to expand upon my original point a bit: I do not fault you for using that title screen in game. In fact I think it is very sensible for a solo dev (especially on their first learning projects) to not use huge amounts of time to perfect a screen the player sees for like a second before they go to the options or start the game. I have very similar title screens in all projects I am currently developing.

However I think using it as a "thread opening" the way you currently do does your game a disservice. Because at least when I opened this thread I thought to myself "Wait that is the ONE thing they definitely want to show their potential audience to win them over? That just screams low effort game to me." And that is not true. You clearly put a lot of thought and effort into your game. Just put the title there as normal text and style it a bit with the forum's BBcodes (centered, bold, ...). If you want to put a picture there (which I think is a good idea) better show off a particular combat or scene that you put lots of effort in and are particular proud of. And if you do get around to having a fancy title screen, then by all means, put it there as well.

-Serenity-

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updated again, there were a few major bugs found that have been addressed.
I have a few more small ideas I want to try putting in, but I will hopefully be able to say it's complete after a few more minor updates. Thanks to those who are playtesting, and helping me finish this.

-Serenity-

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fixed a bunch of issues again. Apparently there were a bunch of sound files missing, for some reason, among a bunch of other little things.
Hopefully everything works fine now. If anyone's using the previous version, I recommend updating to this latest one, as there were a handful of issues.
If any more come up, please let me know. I will likely not be around for a few more days, but I will hopefully be back and able to focus more on this some time this month to finalize everything.

-Serenity-

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1.0 has been released! Thanks to all who helped this come together, and I hope all who try it enjoy it.
I will address any additional issues that come up if they are found, but I am now working on a new project, which I hope to start showing within the next few months.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Got a new phone and glasses to replace the old busted ones I've been hanging onto for years.

Expect this to improve my productivity 10x.
How do people feel about killing important characters or playing with their sanity? There's a possibility that I thought up earlier that could be interesting to work with.
I need more sales of my game to pay my bills or December is gonna be really hard for me :/
Longtime lurker, happy to have joined, hoping to find some help when I need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockcjc