JRibbons

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

e9Q9HBX.png

You're a COP who has to talk a SUICIDAL MAN down from a ledge. Push him too hard and he'll jump, but get him to open up and he'll reveal a terrible secret... A 10-minute narrative thriller, with two unique endings, based on the short story "Man With A Problem" by Donald Honig (1958). There is no combat, simply conversation trees. Both the intro and endings have been custom-animated in After Effects. The art is modified from VexedEnigma's Pop! Horror City pack. My first game, so I welcome all feedback, especially from PC testers (I only have Mac). NOTE: This game features mature themes, including moderate language and some graphic violence. Also, please be aware this is not an educational experience and should not be used for training purposes. If you know anyone with depression or suicidal thoughts, please urge them to seek professional help.

SCREENSHOTS

LedgeChaos.png

LedgeLedge.png

LedgeHomeNight.png

LedgeHome.png

DOWNLOADS

itch.io

Gamejolt.com

Mediafire

MAC

CREDITS

Writing

James McFay

Donald Honig

Art

VexedEnigma

Music

Beaufort

Plugins

Yanfly

Orange

Terrax

Yami

mjshi

Soulpour777

Nelderson

Galv

Sound Effects

Syndicate

BBC Audio

Iberia Runa

8Dio

Funding

Ribbons

Last edited by a moderator:

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Windows Link: 

The link you're trying to access has expired.

JRibbons

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm, that's strange...have relinked again, should work now! Also put in an alt download too. 

Thanks for pointing it out BigToastie and sorry for the hassle:)

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
*Phew* thought the game jumped the ledge!  :3

Very good theme BTW.

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks interesting (and pretty)! Imma try it as soon as I get home today since it's pretty short :)

Good job!

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses

I will be testing this tomorrow and try give you some feedback *if you want it!* 

can't test before hand as got a lot of work on and GF is going away so I guess I need to see her before she goes .... :p

JRibbons

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

I will be testing this tomorrow and try give you some feedback *if you want it!* 

can't test before hand as got a lot of work on and GF is going away so I guess I need to see her before she goes .... :p

Would love feedback BigToastie! It's all about learning here...

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks great!

Ill try it sometime over the weekend when I'm not working ?

gizzmito

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Amazing job!

I liked your game a lot. It's fun, it gets you to the action from the first second. Very good use of the graphical resources, good sounds...
I liked the intro very much. And the scene with the crowd looking up. 
The game is very short but it works perfectly with its simplicity. I was enjoying it and I wanted to play more!

To say something I would change the font that you use in the text, because I think is too small. It's not difficult to read but it's way smaller than the faces and that looks odd to me.

Congratulations! 

Maybe I'm not impartial because I love adventure and conversational games and reading short stories. :)

JRibbons

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Amazing job!

I liked your game a lot. It's fun, it gets you to the action from the first second. Very good use of the graphical resources, good sounds...
I liked the intro very much. And the scene with the crowd looking up. 
The game is very short but it works perfectly with its simplicity. I was enjoying it and I wanted to play more!

To say something I would change the font that you use in the text, because I think is too small. It's not difficult to read but it's way smaller than the faces and that looks odd to me.

Congratulations! 

Maybe I'm not impartial because I love adventure and conversational games and reading short stories. :)

Thanks so much gizzmito! Glad you enjoyed it:) Yeah, I agree the font is too small - unfortunately, when I make it bigger, the text grows too large in the box that pops up for dialogue choices. I'm not good enough to know how to expand that yet...

Anyway, thanks for playing!

cyberwaffle

cyberwaffle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Awesome Dude!

Man this was an amazingly well polished game! I loved it! Some things I especially loved about the game:

• The cute artwork, the style is beautiful despite not being Hi-Def, I am really curious if you did it all yourself.
  • The story that put you on edge from beginning to end
  • The cutscenes were beautiful I honestly just wish I could open your project and see how you did all this because I'm a greenie (But I'm not asking because I know its dangerous to give them to people)
  • Audio track perfectly fit the story
  • The change from the traditional game usually submitted on here

I may play for the 2nd ending later,

I got the double suicide ending but I have one question about the end, I believe( don't remember the dialogue exactly) that he says his name is Andrews and not something else and and that Karen was his wife. I thought we already knew this and why does this make him do the double suicide. I didn't really get that part I was wondering if you could explain it to me.

So nice job very good short game, I recommend it!

JRibbons

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Awesome Dude!

Man this was an amazingly well polished game! I loved it! Some things I especially loved about the game:

• The cute artwork, the style is beautiful despite not being Hi-Def, I am really curious if you did it all yourself.
  • The story that put you on edge from beginning to end
  • The cutscenes were beautiful I honestly just wish I could open your project and see how you did all this because I'm a greenie (But I'm not asking because I know its dangerous to give them to people)
  • Audio track perfectly fit the story
  • The change from the traditional game usually submitted on here

I may play for the 2nd ending later,

I got the double suicide ending but I have one question about the end, I believe( don't remember the dialogue exactly) that he says his name is Andrews and not something else and and that Karen was his wife. I thought we already knew this and why does this make him do the double suicide. I didn't really get that part I was wondering if you could explain it to me.

So nice job very good short game, I recommend it!

Thanks Cyberwaffle! Glad you enjoyed it. 

The art mostly consists of VexedEnigma's Pop! Horror City, which is a pack available for MV and VXAce. It's great! My mods to this were mostly character/face related, the logo and a few vehicles, but otherwise I can't take much credit. The cutscenes were separately rendered in Adobe After Effects using the imported sprites. 

re: the ending:

He says his name is Adams and that Karen was his wife. But it's what he calls the policeman that you need to pay attention to. :)  I don't want to say anymore cause I always read people's spoilers...:)

Last edited by a moderator:

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I have played it and it was really cool, I will update this post when I can with a 'review' type when I can (really busy atm) but would recommend anyone giving it a bash!

JRibbons

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For those who've played this game, I'd be interested to know how you would describe it. 

When submitting it to game sites, I've been having trouble choosing which 'genre' to pick. Usually, the closest are 'RPG' or 'Visual Novel' but it's neither of those. Itch.io, rpgmaker.net, gamejolt - none of them seem to have a 'descriptor' for what I would call The Ledge.

I would probably describe it as 'interactive short story'. Anyone else got any better ideas? 

On another note, does anyone know any similar games?

Golden Unicorn Gaming

Savior of Astoria
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
LOVED the trailer... high quality work there.

But we cops NEVER pass on the right when going lights and sirens :p

Luke

Golden Unicorn Gaming

gizzmito

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Interactive story seems to fit with your game.

Telltale games like "the wolf among us" and "the walking dead" are games that are stories where you can make some decisions. Those games have action parts that your game doesn't but the concept is similar I think. Obiously with a very different budget and duration.

I would say that "To the moon" is a interactive story too.

JRibbons

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm, that's true gizzmito - I've heard of those games and played To The Moon. Maybe there's just not enough of them yet that a 'genre' has been established that games websites can lump them under. 

LOVED the trailer... high quality work there.

But we cops NEVER pass on the right when going lights and sirens :p

Luke

Golden Unicorn Gaming

Stay tuned for my next game, Cop Simulator 2016. It's 90% paperwork...

Reese

Wretched Art Prince
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh my, I totally love that trailer :D  

Latest Profile Posts

I wish I can work faster on my game. But I don't want to get burned out. :(
I've been working on something on and off for a few years now, and I've been reluctant to share any details on the project before I had anything playable because I did not want to generate hype only for the project to go back on hiatus. That being said I believe what I'm working on is very unique and pushes the boundaries of what RPG Maker projects can be. Bold claims, I know but just wait.
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms :)
Create Anime Art w/ AI, Tall Sprites with Aurora, Customize Variable Display | RPG Maker News #34

[My favorite slow moving track I've made so far]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrlingo